Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Xtra Large Double Bypass: Sunday 12/14 FIP 8:00

In preparation for the Quadruple Bypass 2009, a double bypass is gonna happen Sunday, 12/14. The start time will be 8:00.

Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the Cafe Portobello. Edit: the meeting place will be Cafe Portobello not [SIZE="1"]McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center Pool[/SIZE].

Here's waltaz's suggested route:

"Start around the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool, which is near the Cafe Portobello (near 105th St. and McDowell Mtn Ranch Pkwy). This allows us to finish up on Paradise, which is a blast. Anyways, route would be: up Quartz, Lost Dog, Old Jeep Road, up Sunrise, down into Hidden Hills and the 144th St./Via Linda TH, dirt road to Ftn Hills, Dixie Mine, Prospector up, then over to Windgate, up the backside of Windgate, down Windgate to the west, left on Gateway Loop, then down to Paradise and back. An alternative would be to just go up and over Bell, instead of over to Windgate."

This is about a 5-hour ride at a good clip.
    Last edited by u2metoo; 12-04-2008 at 01:14 PM.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool. I'm not super famaliar with this place, so small edit may be made to the google map, if I happen to be a few blocks off.
    I'm in, and will help lead...note that I didn't say be first, just that I'd help lead...

With regard to the meeting place above, it's actually in the parking lot of a shopping plaza across the street and down 100 yds. from the MMR Community Center/Pool. Cafe Portobello is located here, if you want to ping their website for directions. This provides more parking and room than the CC parking lot.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Oil cans are optional, but highly recommended for the top of Sunrise and the top of Windgate...
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz

IMPORTANT NOTE: Oil cans are optional, but highly recommended for the top of Sunrise and the top of Windgate...
    By oil cans I suppose you are referring to the kind of oil that lubricates the soul (like Ten Fiddy), not the kind that keeps your chain from squeaking.

My wife and I did this ride (plus a bunch more) on black Friday - our own "Flight of the Javelinas". The Sunrise trail was really great and not too bad a grunt for singlespeed. Looking forward to doing it again.

Too many Sedonuts...
    I am now 92.375% sure I will be there.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm in, and will help lead...note that I didn't say be first, just that I'd help lead...

In and the oil cans were suppose to be our secret so we could make some cash at the top of each climb.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

pedaller
    In and the oil cans were suppose to be our secret so we could make some cash at the top of each climb
    I'll still pay you to carry my oil can to the top of each climb!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Not a Barry supporter.
    Sorry...one gear so just one beer.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Dave

I'm in

I think I'll give this a try. I haven't ridden with Walt since Prescott plus I've never done this before. I'm 90%. Anybody wanna car pool, Sam? I live at Alma School and Queen creek rd. in Chandler.

Approx drive time to parking area from Awatukey. I know not even close. Im hooked on phonics.

Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the Cafe Portobello. Edit: the meeting place will be Cafe Portobello not [SIZE="1"]McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center Pool[/SIZE].
    wow, either google had a brain fart...or you really do not want company on this ride. when I clicked the linky...it sent me to Coffeville, Nebraska!
    b

Kathleen in AZ
    I miss my bikes and my biking friends

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    wow, either google had a brain fart...or you really do not want company on this ride. when I clicked the linky...it sent me to Coffeville, Nebraska!

...weird ! I just checked from another workstation, and it worked fine for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Your bikes and biking friends miss U2. Heal up!

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Well, Coffeville, Kansas - I used to live in NE, and I was able to go to the same place in the midwest

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Sam, count me in. How could one pass up a 2 oil can ride. Looks to be a great weekend for riding.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    Looks to be a great weekend for riding.

Craig
    You are aware that this is NEXT weekend (12/14), right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

mileage ?

In preparation for the Quadruple Bypass 2009, a double bypass is gonna happen Sunday, 12/14. The start time will be 8:00.

Here's waltaz's suggested route:

"Start around the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool, which is near the Cafe Portobello (near 105th St. and McDowell Mtn Ranch Pkwy). This allows us to finish up on Paradise, which is a blast. Anyways, route would be: up Quartz, Lost Dog, Old Jeep Road, up Sunrise, down into Hidden Hills and the 144th St./Via Linda TH, dirt road to Ftn Hills, Dixie Mine, Prospector up, then over to Windgate, up the backside of Windgate, down Windgate to the west, left on Gateway Loop, then down to Paradise and back. An alternative would be to just go up and over Bell, instead of over to Windgate."

This is about a 5-hour ride at a good clip.
    I'm pretty sure I'm in. Does anyone know the mileage? Oh and are there bailouts should I find the group is a whole bunch faster than me??

Tiff

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    I've increased my oil can intake to 4-5 a week in prep for this ride. ;-)
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Does anyone know the mileage? Oh and are there bailouts should I find the group is a whole bunch faster than me??

Tiff
    Good question??? Prolly low 20's.

As for bailouts, Once you get to the top of Sunrise, you could turn around and go back the way you came, or you could continue on down the other side of Sunrise into Hidden Hills and take the road back. Once you go past Hidden Hills you are pretty committed to doing the full dealio.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good question??? Prolly low 20's.

As for bailouts, Once you get to the top of Sunrise, you could turn around and go back the way you came, or you could continue on down the other side of Sunrise into Hidden Hills and take the road back. Once you go past Hidden Hills you are pretty committed to doing the full dealio.
    K thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd like to try this ride knowing I could potentially bail and go back down sunrise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If anyone is interested, here is a link to my motionbased info on this Double Bypass loop, last time I did it in April. It was 27 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing, although those numbers might differ if you take Prospector trail and/or Bell Pass near the end - I did Dixie Mine to Coachwhip to Windgate.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5331572

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cholla
    If anyone is interested, here is a link to my motionbased info on this Double Bypass loop, last time I did it in April. It was 27 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing, although those numbers might differ if you take Prospector trail and/or Bell Pass near the end - I did Dixie Mine to Coachwhip to Windgate.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5331572
    Thank you, from the looks of the stats I may just do an out and back up to Sunrise.

Tiff

I am Bob
    Hey Sam. Long time no ride!
    Great idea. I'm gonng try to make it too. Bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been lurking here for awhile, but this ride looks like fun. I'm going to plan on joining the group if you don't mind a new guy. I'm a pretty strong rider, looking for a nice endurance ride.

Brian

I am Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    miss U 2 DG! heal fast!!!!!!
    Loved the doggie hike on your blog BTW. My favorite part was the long pan shot that ended on the patiently panting Booj and Joop. I loved the goofy smiles.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast