Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 85
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902

    Xtra Large Double Bypass: Sunday 12/14 FIP 8:00

    In preparation for the Quadruple Bypass 2009, a double bypass is gonna happen Sunday, 12/14. The start time will be 8:00.

    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the Cafe Portobello. Edit: the meeting place will be Cafe Portobello not McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center Pool.

    Here's waltaz's suggested route:

    "Start around the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool, which is near the Cafe Portobello (near 105th St. and McDowell Mtn Ranch Pkwy). This allows us to finish up on Paradise, which is a blast. Anyways, route would be: up Quartz, Lost Dog, Old Jeep Road, up Sunrise, down into Hidden Hills and the 144th St./Via Linda TH, dirt road to Ftn Hills, Dixie Mine, Prospector up, then over to Windgate, up the backside of Windgate, down Windgate to the west, left on Gateway Loop, then down to Paradise and back. An alternative would be to just go up and over Bell, instead of over to Windgate."

    This is about a 5-hour ride at a good clip.
    Last edited by u2metoo; 12-04-2008 at 01:14 PM.

  2. #2
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool. I'm not super famaliar with this place, so small edit may be made to the google map, if I happen to be a few blocks off.
    I'm in, and will help lead...note that I didn't say be first, just that I'd help lead...

    With regard to the meeting place above, it's actually in the parking lot of a shopping plaza across the street and down 100 yds. from the MMR Community Center/Pool. Cafe Portobello is located here, if you want to ping their website for directions. This provides more parking and room than the CC parking lot.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: Oil cans are optional, but highly recommended for the top of Sunrise and the top of Windgate...
    Ride more; post less...

  3. #3
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz

    IMPORTANT NOTE: Oil cans are optional, but highly recommended for the top of Sunrise and the top of Windgate...
    By oil cans I suppose you are referring to the kind of oil that lubricates the soul (like Ten Fiddy), not the kind that keeps your chain from squeaking.

    My wife and I did this ride (plus a bunch more) on black Friday - our own "Flight of the Javelinas". The Sunrise trail was really great and not too bad a grunt for singlespeed. Looking forward to doing it again.

  4. #4
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    I am now 92.375% sure I will be there.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  5. #5
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'm in, and will help lead...note that I didn't say be first, just that I'd help lead...

    IMPORTANT NOTE: Oil cans are optional, but highly recommended for the top of Sunrise and the top of Windgate...
    In and the oil cans were suppose to be our secret so we could make some cash at the top of each climb.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  6. #6
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    In and the oil cans were suppose to be our secret so we could make some cash at the top of each climb
    I'll still pay you to carry my oil can to the top of each climb!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  7. #7
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    Sorry...one gear so just one beer.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  8. #8
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    891

    I'm in

    I think I'll give this a try. I haven't ridden with Walt since Prescott plus I've never done this before. I'm 90%. Anybody wanna car pool, Sam? I live at Alma School and Queen creek rd. in Chandler.

    Approx drive time to parking area from Awatukey. I know not even close. Im hooked on phonics.

    Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the Cafe Portobello. Edit: the meeting place will be Cafe Portobello not McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center Pool.
    wow, either google had a brain fart...or you really do not want company on this ride. when I clicked the linky...it sent me to Coffeville, Nebraska!
    b

  10. #10
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,172
    I miss my bikes and my biking friends

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    wow, either google had a brain fart...or you really do not want company on this ride. when I clicked the linky...it sent me to Coffeville, Nebraska!

    ...weird ! I just checked from another workstation, and it worked fine for me.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I miss my bikes and my biking friends
    Your bikes and biking friends miss U2. Heal up!

  13. #13
    drink coffee, ride.
    Reputation: cookiedough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    wow, either google had a brain fart...or you really do not want company on this ride. when I clicked the linky...it sent me to Coffeville, Nebraska!
    Well, Coffeville, Kansas - I used to live in NE, and I was able to go to the same place in the midwest

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    203
    Hey Sam, count me in. How could one pass up a 2 oil can ride. Looks to be a great weekend for riding.

    Craig

  15. #15
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    Looks to be a great weekend for riding.

    Craig
    You are aware that this is NEXT weekend (12/14), right?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    589

    mileage ?

    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    In preparation for the Quadruple Bypass 2009, a double bypass is gonna happen Sunday, 12/14. The start time will be 8:00.

    Here is a google map to the meetup spot at the Cafe Portobello. Edit: the meeting place will be Cafe Portobello not McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center Pool.

    Here's waltaz's suggested route:

    "Start around the McDowell Mtn Ranch Community Center pool, which is near the Cafe Portobello (near 105th St. and McDowell Mtn Ranch Pkwy). This allows us to finish up on Paradise, which is a blast. Anyways, route would be: up Quartz, Lost Dog, Old Jeep Road, up Sunrise, down into Hidden Hills and the 144th St./Via Linda TH, dirt road to Ftn Hills, Dixie Mine, Prospector up, then over to Windgate, up the backside of Windgate, down Windgate to the west, left on Gateway Loop, then down to Paradise and back. An alternative would be to just go up and over Bell, instead of over to Windgate."

    This is about a 5-hour ride at a good clip.
    I'm pretty sure I'm in. Does anyone know the mileage? Oh and are there bailouts should I find the group is a whole bunch faster than me??

    Tiff

  17. #17
    Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Reputation: cycljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,898
    I've increased my oil can intake to 4-5 a week in prep for this ride. ;-)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Does anyone know the mileage? Oh and are there bailouts should I find the group is a whole bunch faster than me??

    Tiff
    Good question??? Prolly low 20's.

    As for bailouts, Once you get to the top of Sunrise, you could turn around and go back the way you came, or you could continue on down the other side of Sunrise into Hidden Hills and take the road back. Once you go past Hidden Hills you are pretty committed to doing the full dealio.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Good question??? Prolly low 20's.

    As for bailouts, Once you get to the top of Sunrise, you could turn around and go back the way you came, or you could continue on down the other side of Sunrise into Hidden Hills and take the road back. Once you go past Hidden Hills you are pretty committed to doing the full dealio.
    K thanks for the info.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    87
    I'd like to try this ride knowing I could potentially bail and go back down sunrise.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    97
    If anyone is interested, here is a link to my motionbased info on this Double Bypass loop, last time I did it in April. It was 27 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing, although those numbers might differ if you take Prospector trail and/or Bell Pass near the end - I did Dixie Mine to Coachwhip to Windgate.

    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5331572

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cholla
    If anyone is interested, here is a link to my motionbased info on this Double Bypass loop, last time I did it in April. It was 27 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing, although those numbers might differ if you take Prospector trail and/or Bell Pass near the end - I did Dixie Mine to Coachwhip to Windgate.

    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5331572
    Thank you, from the looks of the stats I may just do an out and back up to Sunrise.

    Tiff

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,917
    Hey Sam. Long time no ride!
    Great idea. I'm gonng try to make it too. Bob

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    I've been lurking here for awhile, but this ride looks like fun. I'm going to plan on joining the group if you don't mind a new guy. I'm a pretty strong rider, looking for a nice endurance ride.

    Brian

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,917
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I miss my bikes and my biking friends
    miss U 2 DG! heal fast!!!!!!
    Loved the doggie hike on your blog BTW. My favorite part was the long pan shot that ended on the patiently panting Booj and Joop. I loved the goofy smiles.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Hey Sam. Long time no ride!
    Yeah, I've been kinda busy. I've been trying to get my wheelies in, but groupers have been hard to make.

    I took a peak at CB's bloggy and looked like y'all had a good time out at NRA.

    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Great idea. I'm gonng try to make it too. Bob
    Yeah, Walt-ah really laid out what pretty nice little route.

  27. #27
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    I am now 92.375% sure I will be there.
    After riding a double today, on what amounted to a single speed, I'd say you should be more like 99.9% sure you're in!

  28. #28
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716

    Misc Stuff

    A few things to think about:
    • There's a bailout about 1:45 or so in after climbing Sunrise and going down the other side into Hidden Hills. Still have to take the road back a ways, or the trail from 128th St, but it's a bailout before committing to the Fountain Hills side. Once there, you're in it all the way.
    • There is water at the bottom of Sunrise in Hidden Hills, and again at Golden Eagle in Fountain Hills (an hour after HH)
    • Oil cans will be consumed at the top of Sunrise before descending into HH, and at the top of Windgate before descending that to the west. Two 24-oz. oil cans are recommended to facilitate rehydration and carb replenishment.
    • The pace will accomodate the oil cannage. We are not worried about our heart rates dropping out of the target zone. Indeed, after climbing Sunrise and Windgate, the oil can breaks will be needed to allow your HR to drop INTO the target zone...
    • Oil cans are, of course, optional...*smirk*
    • It looks like it may be cool and a bit wet...for Arizona. Those poor souls elsewhere in the country who are riding vicariously through us this time of year will appreciate that.
    Ride more; post less...

  29. #29
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilless
    I've been lurking here for awhile, but this ride looks like fun. I'm going to plan on joining the group if you don't mind a new guy. I'm a pretty strong rider, looking for a nice endurance ride.

    Brian
    Well I'm a "new girl", so we can be the newbies and out-ride the hazing! I've done a variation of the double a couple of times, and it's quickly become one of my favorite grinds. The more the merrier, please do! Come join!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    A few things to think about:
    • in Hidden Hills, and again at Golden Eagle in Fountain Hills (an hour after HH)
    • Oil cans will be consumed at the top of Sunrise before descending into HH, and at the top of Windgate before descending that to the west. Two 24-oz. oil cans are recommended to facilitate rehydration and carb replenishment.
    • The pace will accomodate the oil cannage. We are not worried about our heart rates dropping out of the target zone. Indeed, after climbing Sunrise and Windgate, the oil can breaks will be needed to allow your HR to drop INTO the target zone...
    • Oil cans are, of course, optional...*smirk*
    Walt, maybe we could just strap one really big can onto your camelbak. It wouldn't even have to be a full keg. Heck, a pony keg would prolly be sufficient for this loop. Just a thought.

  31. #31
    NardoSS
    Guest
    I'll be in town this weekend after all so I'll drop in for some fun. I'm not a big beer drinker so I'll just bring some box wine. ;-) I may bail at HH if I'm hurtin' too much.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Well I'm a "new girl", so we can be the newbies and out-ride the hazing! I've done a variation of the double a couple of times, and it's quickly become one of my favorite grinds. The more the merrier, please do! Come join!
    I'm up for the challenge!

  33. #33
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    After riding a double today, on what amounted to a single speed, I'd say you should be more like 99.9% sure you're in!
    The bottom of wingate is a fan-tabulous place for your drivetrain to take a dump and leave you with only a middle chainring. That hurts on a 29er. I'll check my chaining bolts more often, for sure now.

    But the diesel kept on rollin....even after the Porsche pulled away.

    Well done.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

  34. #34
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    The bottom of wingate is a fan-tabulous place for your drivetrain to take a dump and leave you with only a middle chainring. That hurts on a 29er. I'll check my chaining bolts more often, for sure now.
    I believe CoyoteKis has something to do with it...did you turn your back, leave her alone with your bike for a moment...? Ah...now you see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

  35. #35
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe

    But the diesel kept on rollin....even after the Porsche pulled away.

    Well done.
    Aries are rams, rams like to climb.
    And your tenacity in the middle ring was cool, but I have to tell you.... what you did on that downhill? Ridiculous!!! Mind-blowing. I'm not worthy!!! *bowing down*

  36. #36
    aka Diesel
    Reputation: CoyoteKis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I believe CoyoteKis has something to do with it...did you turn your back, leave her alone with your bike for a moment...? Ah...now you see...
    Wotev.
    It's not sabotage. I like a fair fight.
    I can't help it if I'm the Bermuda Triangle for chainrings. *batting eyelashes*


    But keep your eye on your oil-can, for sure! I have no moral qualms, as you know, about resorting to underhanded tactics to procure more beer for myself.

  37. #37
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,044
    this is looking likely, as the snow storm over the San Juans is lolligagging til Sunday at the earliest. probably no oil cans for me, but i might wear my balaclava and my goggles.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    You are aware that this is NEXT weekend (12/14), right?
    It was Chad's fault, he got me going on the idea and all excited. I am going to do Kentucky Camp on Sat, but if not too spent and hungover, I might just show up for this.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    SL and I may be there if we're not too tired from trail building.

  40. #40
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    SL and I may be there if we're not too tired from trail building.
    Nice!! Haven't seen you guys in a while...look forward to it.
    Ride more; post less...

  41. #41
    Orange Yeti 575
    Reputation: Dan_AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    115
    I'm in but will bail at the Sunrise parking lot to make it home for some things going on in the afternoon.

    If anyone else ends up bailing there I can show the way back to the trail head and cars by way of Via Linda, West World Trail, and Quartz. Or more fun to do Lost Dog back over Taliesin Overlook the way we come in--depending on the group. That would shorten it to a 3 hour ride.

    I'm looking forward to riding with a few more of the MTBR crowd.

  42. #42
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    So any other SSers going to be there?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  43. #43
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    So any other SSers going to be there?
    I may SS it, my friend...
    Ride more; post less...

  44. #44
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,044
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I may SS it, my friend...
    oh great...gonna be subjected to another 25 miles of your High-and-Mighty SS sermons.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    oh great...gonna be subjected to another 25 miles of your High-and-Mighty SS sermons.
    I look at it more as an opportunity to actually catch Walt on vid as he let's loose a barbaric yawlp due to cramps.

    Not that I look forward to seeing somebody suffer, but I've witnessed a couple of these sessions before .

  46. #46
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    oh great...gonna be subjected to another 25 miles of your High-and-Mighty SS sermons.
    I provide High-and-Mighty sermons regardless of gearing...
    Ride more; post less...

  47. #47
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I look at it more as an opportunity to actually catch Walt on vid as he let's loose a barbaric yawlp due to cramps.

    Not that I look forward to seeing somebody suffer, but I've witnessed a couple of these sessions before .
    Unfortunately, he's not the only one who cramps....


    Do you want those 26er tires Samantha...I mean Sammie...I mean Sam?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  48. #48
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    I'm Walting out and using a 20 for this one.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB

    Do you want those 26er tires Samantha...I mean Sammie...I mean Sam?
    Fo Sho!

    That would be awesome! See ya there!

  50. #50
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    That's the only reason to ride SS. Just so we can look down on all you geary's and call you girly men. While inside we're dreaming of gears and fighting back the tears from knee pain.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •