Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

X-9 Grip shifter vs. X-9 thumb shifters

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  BIGHORN LEW 
#1 ·
I just got a good deal on X-9 grip shifters. Whats your opinions on pro and cons on the two diffrent styles? :thumbsup: :eek: :nono: :D

#4 ·
The biggest con about GS is that even though it's the product that most racers considers put SRAM on the map, they refuse to release a 10 speed version. Regardless, that's a whole different can of worms, and I know most people that buy a new mtb would think they are for kids since that's you see on hybrids and kids bikes in Performance, Walmart, etc. And since Shimano doesn't have a high end competitor for GS, people tend to expect the level of offerings between the two to be comporable.

I love GS, but had to with triggers to get 10 speed. On the X-9 now, and as expected, they don't have that solid "click" to them when shifting, but seem to get the job done and I'm adjusting.

#6 ·
My grip shifters are reliable (they never shift accidentally) but they are kind of a pain if you are on a really hilly/technical course with a lot of quick gear changes. I have another bike with triggers and they are much easier to quickly change (I prefer rapid-rise triggers).

#11 ·
I have been riding the same grip shifters (rocket by sram) since 2003. the grippers way outlast the triggers I have used, and are less problematic. only a couple moving parts compared to umpteen parts on the triggers. I have never accidentally shifted with the grippers. If THAT is a problem, you can run a full length grip instead of the short ones. I like how the grippers clean up the handlebar area. I love how the front derailleur position can be fine tuned with the grip shifter instead of having only 3 preset positions that can rub on the chain.
triggers will never upshift (higher gear), as fast as grippers. one motion and you can go clear across the cogset. triggers are fine, but I prefer the grip-shifting :cornut:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.