jimfab

WV Midnight century

Everybody

If you dare i would like to invite everybody to take part in the first ever WV midnight century aug 8 (fri night). It will start in Buckeye and cover almost every stitch of trail in the far WV south of the 10 as well as some canal riding. We are also working on a 50 option. for more info check out http:/southwestbikepackinggroup.blogspot.com/2010/07/west-valley-midnight-century.html

this will be a group ride of sorts. please let me know if you are interested here or the site so i can find a suitable starting area.

Cheers- Jim

Rhino
    I am in for the full deal. Singlespeed.
    (Date is a bust and will be updated by jimfabulous)
    -rhino

Don't believe the Hype...
    Sounds interesting. I'm not ready for 100 miles right now, but might be once it cools down. I've been scouting out some "Urban" Trail routes around my area along the Aqua Fria heading north to Lake Pleasant...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

My other ride is your mom
    I'm interested, but the date is no good for me....looking fwd to seeing the new date.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm interested, but the date is no good for me....looking fwd to seeing the new date.
    maad - I believe it will be the same weekend. Friday or Saturday night. Jim's date post doesn't jive (8th and Fri.).

Losing Ground
    I think the new date is that weekend just an error in matching days to dates. It should be Fri night Aug 6 in other words.
    Yeah Jim, let us know for sure. The only reason I'm 'out' is because I'll be in Flag. I'll be shooting for Kokopelli though.

mtbr member
    I am in. If we can get more detail, would be greatly appreciated. I am north Phoenix.

Thx

Steve

My other ride is your mom
    well then, I'm out since I'm committed to a ride up north that weekend. Have fun.

So whats up with these Spots? "Secret, S&M, Park Ave "

I take it they are in between FINs and PIR? I've road both of those quite a bit.

I need to get back on my bike. I have been just longboarding/skating for the last year so I'm my bike cardo has to be pretty week....

www.krackedskulls.com

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    So whats up with these Spots?...
    They are trails...take that specific question to the SWBG website (link in first post) as we don't discuss those kinda things here. Pick up what I'm laying down? Thx.

gotcha

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member

VW 100 mile run

Is this thing still going? Need to make arrangements to get my lights working. Is there a count how many will attend? Thanks..

Jo

Losing Ground
    Check the link at the top (it's not highlighted). That should be the main info page for this.

jimfab
    Everybody

Sorry to be slow in info for you, working and having fun have kept me busy. It is still on. I will have a general outline on the site tonight sometime.

Thanks- Jim

mtbr member

VW 100mile ride

Is this ride still going?

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    Is this ride still going?
    dude...

http:/southwestbikepackinggroup.blog...t-century.html

mtbr member

VW 100 Miles

Yes, but with only 4 responses (5 including mine), not sure if Jim want to go thorugh with this ride.

Losing Ground
    can't expect too many takers for 100 miles...at night. You'll have fun though, just do it.

Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a great route. Wish I could make it.

Losing Ground
    Welcome back CB.

mattreed8
    I'm still in for the 50.

-- Matt

jimfab

still on

Everybody

The ride is still a go for tonight. Rain or moonshine. We should meet the folks doing the 50 around 12.30 ish at the Eliot market in Estrela Mountain Ranch. If the canal is soaked we may be a bit slower. Bring a rain jacket, chain oil, and a smile cause it is going to be a good time! Looks like there will be 5-8 of us that i know of this morning. More info now up on the homepage at www.southwestbikepackinggroup.blogspot.com . If you find yourself unable to sleep you can track the group online. Follow the link on the home page.

See you all there

mtbr member

VW miles

Jim,

Any chance you might have a map of the entire course? I'd like to ride the it all but not familiar with the area and the course. Greatly appreciated.

Steve

jimfab

maps

Hello

I have everything on GPX format, but i dont have the route put together for this ride. I was able to find the picture below. Not much detail, but gives the idea. I will make sure to ride cleanup and make sure nobody gets left behind. Most of the other guys know the area good enough to get out of trouble if they get lost. This is great ride that will explore some seldom ridden trails, and very ridden trails. This is supposed to be a group ride so having fun together is the goal. I will try to break it down more. and put something on the site. I need to get topofusion on my MAC somehow. The Garmin basecamp is very limited, but so are my computer skills. I do have excellent bow staff skills ! Below is an overview of the entire route including PIR. Still not sue if we are going to include it, and the other is all the trails closer up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WV Midnight century-wvmc100.jpg  

WV Midnight century-wvmc.jpg  

mtbr member

VW 100 miles

Jim,

Thanks for the map. Helps a bit. Is this going to be a pack ride or everyone will ride on their own? You mentioned water will be available in places. What do you mean?

Are you meeting us in Bucky or you are doing the 50?

Thanks

jimfab
    Hey

The idea is to do a no drop group ride but if others want to sprint ahead there is nothing to stop them. I will keep back to make sure nobody gets lost or dropped. There are water fountains at a few places along the route. One by the basketball courts across from the Eliot Market, one at the Weststar school, one at the arena, if all else fails there is a 24hr circle K 2 miles off route by PIR on 107th ave. I use more water than most on long rides so i have in one way or another found all the water holes out there. I am in on the 100. For some sick reason i kinda enjoy canal riding. Matt is in on the 50 for sure. Meet at the Eliot market ( Estrella parkway / Eliot rd just east ) about 12.30 for the 50.

Also, I will have a few extra lights if anybody thinks they will need a backup. 1 Minute usb, and an old NR classic. I may have a second Minute available. It is my second backup, but my first should work just fine.

Cheers- Jim

mtbr member
    Jim, U my hero. Any chance I could borrow a light from you (perhaps buy it)? I will pack batteries but doesn't seem to hold long. Greatly appreciated. Can't wait. Be in Bucky.

jimfab

no problem

You are welcome to use em, I would like to hang on to them. Let me know if u are in for the 50 or 100 and i will get them to you wherever you are. They are not the brightest lights in the world, but should get the job done.

Cheers- Jim

jimfab

WVMC review

The first ever Midnight Century went off without a hitch. A total of 3 of us rolled out of Buckeye at 3 after 11PM. ( Steve, Rhino, and myself) The weather was PERFECT! It was in the low 80's with a slight breeze out of the east. The sky directly above us was gorgeous with stars shining bright. To the east was a GIANT thunder cloud for us to marvel at during our trip east on the RID canal. Nature put on a spectacular show for us with frequent burst of lightning. We made good time on the canal although we were in no particular hurry as we were soaking up the cool moist air and the spectacular views. We were about 15 min behind schedule when we caught up with Matt up in Estrella. Matt was all set to go and even had some welcome power bars for us all. We were getting some strange stares from the possibly intoxicated motorist that passed us by. they had to think we were crazy to be out at 0100 hrs on a bike. One fellow stuck his head out the window and screamed for the infamous Harvy. We waved and went about our ride. Next stop now 4 strong was FINS. This was Steve's first visit to FINS. We did almost everything there before heading out for S&M. By this time the light breeze we had enjoyed left us and things got a bit sticky. S&M was fun as always and the group had a good clip going, Rhino was crushing it on his loaded SS rigid and Steve was rocking it on his first trip in the WV. Next came the best part where we took the group on a trail they had never been on over boy-scout hill. The top of the hill offered spectacular view of the Phoenix skyline and the aforementioned storm. We took ourselves an extended break on the hill to soak in the view and the cool breeze that had picked up. We figured the sun would start to rise in about an hour so we got going. We decided to head out on trial 18 instead of the planned full monte around the TH and secret trails. When we hit Estrella Parkway we parted ways with Matt who also riding strong and is right on target for his tour of the White Mountains. The Horizon was just starting to change color and the stars were fast disappearing. The moon finally made it's first appearance of the night as a tiny sliver low in the eastern sky. We had a nice easy spin back to the circle K on Litchfield road where we topped up with Mountain Dew and Gatorade for the final few miles. The sun was out, time to turn off the lights and draft our shadows. I think we all started to feel the sleepless night and miles on the way back, it is funny how the morning sun somehow always makes me feel tired. A welcome distraction came on bullard avenue when we got passed by a couple of " Tri Geeks ". Just happy to see other folks on bikes we yelled out to them "hey, Hi, Hello, Good Morning, How you guys doing" ! Not even a shrug of the shoulder or a nod of the head back. This was after direct eye contact. At first we laughed about it, then we deiced it might be fun to chase them down and force a smile out of them. We spun up the cadence to bridge our gap, Rhino on his SS maxed out around 250rpm, Steve got a late jump, but I was able to bridge the gap. I pulled along side and said " how's it going?" Now all we got was a look of disgust. I guess they were afraid i may try to jack them or something cause they put the hammer down and got away from us. It was a welcome distraction from the tired eyes. We shadow drafted all the way back to Buckeye. We took a picture shook hands and took off for some well earned sleep. We got ourselves 75 miles for the night. It was a great ride for sure. Destined to be a yearly classic.

Thanks to Steve, Rhino, and Matt for making the trip!

Cheers-SWBG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WV Midnight century-wvmc2.jpg  

WV Midnight century-wvmc3.jpg  

WV Midnight century-wvmc4.jpg  

Rhino
    Thanks Jimbo for putting this ride on, it was a great time and enjoyed riding all night. I would like to do this ride again in the fall, and add the comp loops at PIR. thanks man.

Members who have read this thread: 0