Fragile - must be Italian

WTB Wolverine 29'er

Has anybody tried the WTB Wolverine 29'er on our local (Phx) trails? If so, what did you think about it?

I've been struggling to find a race worthy (i.e. not slow rolling) aggressive front tire for my Kona Hei-Hei that is worth a crap. I've primarily been using Geax Saguaro TNT's with limited success. They roll really well and are fine in the rocks, but they are just so-so on our loose-over-hard terrain.

I tried a Maxxis Ardent 29 2.25 but it got shredded after 2 rides on South Mountain. And I was less than impressed with the casing width (definitely narrower than the Saguaro 2.2).

I like the Maxxis Ignitor but wish it was available in the 2.35 for the 29'er. The 2.10 size (only one made in 29) is *way* too skinny. It's more like a 1.95 tire.

Anyway, the Wolverine looks promising. If you have experience with one, please let me know your opinion about it (including how well it works tubeless).

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    I'll try to remember to ask Andy tomorrow. Pretty sure he got a set of those recently...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run the newish Weirwolf LT 2.5 on my 29er SS. Pretty nice tire and still alive, though I don't ride that bike on SoMo.

Shovel Ready
    I no nothing about this tire in general. But was going to try it as a front tire before I messed up my knee.

http://bontrager.com/model/08033

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...4_1564crx.aspx
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I no nothing about this tire in general. But was going to try it as a front tire before I messed up my knee.

http://bontrager.com/model/08033

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...4_1564crx.aspx
    I have the FR3 on my Behemoth, and while I really like the tough casing, I don't feel that it is as confidence inspiring as the Rampage. I have gone down to 23psi, and it still does not corner like the Rampage did at 25psi. I do have the 60tpi version. Perhaps the 120tpi version would be more supple, and have more grip?

I intend to go back to the Rampage up front and combine it with a FireXC Pro rear, which does not have ramps that mess up either your braking or climbing. I simply don't have any use for ramps on rear tires. I want good climbing AND braking, not one or the other.

oooh, shiny...
    I run a WTB Stout in the front. Hooks up great on the corners I used to slide out on.
    It's starting to get a little chewed up after a few months, but I have also been riding a lot! It works just fine with a tubeless setup as well.

mtbr member
    Great tire but impossible to mount on WTB Laser tubeless.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Rhino
    I run the Wolv 2.2 29 in the front in the recommended rotation direction. I think its a great tire. If I get really aggressive the front will wander on loose over hard pack, but that may be high tire pressures as well.

I roll the rears 2.2 x 650B in both directions. For trails with short steep ups and down I run them in the reverse direction. If the course tame and long I roll in the recommended direction. The reverse direction seems to help with climbing on SS. Others may debate flipping the tread. The rears haven't been holding up well this summer, but to be fair I have been putting in some miles and lots of forest road and pavement use. I like this tire for the rear and will continue to use.

mtbr member
    i've been riding WTB wolverine 26" for a few weeks.
    they're great in the corners and loose dirt. and roll real nice.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I'll try to remember to ask Andy tomorrow. Pretty sure he got a set of those recently...
    IIRC, Andy initially had an issue with getting these set up tubeless...I think he's got them under control now. Not sure about the ride/durability.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, that first set had one non-tubeless tire as well. That didn't work out so well but it was entertaining
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

My other ride is your mom
    It's very similar to the exiwolf in my mind with respect to traction on the front.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I tried a Maxxis Ardent 29 2.25 but it got shredded after 2 rides on South Mountain. And I was less than impressed with the casing width (definitely narrower than the Saguaro 2.2).
    What about the 2.4 with EXO? I'm rolling that on my 29er up here in PA and it's doing well so far Defending Against The Rocks - but I don't think I have quite the sandpaper/razors you do.

Losing Ground
    I have researched this as well. I think the Wolverine is about the most race-worthy front tire that still has some gription and toughness. Flawless as tubeless. Definitely an improvement over the Saguaro (I don't like anything with a "middle strip"), although I've still been using that on the back.

I also use the WeirWolf 2.55LT as a front. While you might not want to race it; it's got big volume and low profile so still rolls fast and gives me tons of confidence. Again, perfect set up tubeless and no excessive wear thus far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Ardent 2.4 is much beefier.... also has much improved transition knobs.

mtbr member
    It seems alot of the 29er guys who race are running the WTB weirwolf 2.5 tire on the front with 28psi or so for a big footprint and the exiwolf 2.3 tire on the back.Or if you have the room on the back they will run the 2.5 weirwolf on the back.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahava rider
    It seems alot of the 29er guys who race are running the WTB weirwolf 2.5 tire on the front with 28psi or so for a big footprint and the exiwolf 2.3 tire on the back.Or if you have the room on the back they will run the 2.5 weirwolf on the back.
    I like the Exiwolf a lot as a rear tire. It is pretty damn grippy and rolls well, and doesn't feel "squirmy" when mounted tubeless.

The Weirwolf LT is a balloon of a tire. I heard it doesn't work well on a rim skinnier than 23mm. The Stans Arches on my Kona are only 19mm internal width.

Sounds like the Wolverine is promising. I just ordered one and will let you all know my experience with it once I have a few rides under my belt...

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    A friend has run both the Exiwolf and now the Wolverine on the back of his SS 29er. While the Exi seemed to have great tread, he says the Wolverine hooks up better in all kinds of riding. He's ridden the Wolverine all over SOMO and Cabin Loop for the last 3 months with no tears. Running tubeless around 32-34 on Stan's Arch. He weighs 195.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ive been running it up front for about four months now, and im loving it. ive got the 29 2.2 and stans tubeless, and a specialized capt control 2.0 on back. on the first couple of rides i had to deal with some burping (wtb recomends not going tubeless with this tire) but once it was set i havent had a single problem with it. as far as the ride quality goes, its super smooth in the center and i love the way it hooks up in corners. the only problem im seeing is it has a pretty soft compound, so it looks like it'll have to be replaced more often. i give it a big thumbs up.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    It's very similar to the exiwolf in my mind with respect to traction on the front.

Now that's a pretty sketchy front tire on loose over hard pack and dust over crust... Great for front wheel drifts and the tripod maneuver.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB