Thread: Wow, just...wow

parenting for gnarness

Wow, just...wow

There is an article in the McDowell Conservancy's newsletter about hiking to the Lookout, along Tom's Thumb and East End trails.

ISSUU - Mountain Lines Summer 2013 by McDowell Sonoran Conservancy

Quoted below is the dramatic conclusion to an epic literary journey.

"Consider your journey to be an opportunity for solitude and contemplation. If you are not one to hike by yourself, this might be the time to do it and focus on your inner communication. If hiking is always a group activity for you , consider setting some ground rules. No conversation outside of what the hike inspires. No long drive necessary. No high clearance vehicles required. Enjoy the opportunity for solitude right in your own back yard.

If you choose to take this journey, do not hurry. This is a hike to linger upon. Go to the Lookout to enjoy the jourey as well as the destination. Linger at the top. Contemplate. Go there to sit and think. Be peaceful with yourself. Revel in knowing that among millions in our urban sprawl, you are in a place that belongs to the milleniums
    [sic]. You are in a place that, because of the forethought of local residents, will have a future shaped by the eternal forces of nature."
    Last edited by chollaball; 06-05-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Always in the wrong gear
    It's like a poem. Sounds like something to try out in the early fall.

mtbr member
    I was expecting some complaints about biking. Thanks grammar girl.

pedaller
    Looks like someone found the tequila tree...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great place to donate each year! The accompanying pic is a winner as well!McDowell Sonoran Conservancy
    Wow, just...wow-mcd.jpg

mtbr member
    Chollaball,
    Try this next time you are doing what ever it is you are doing with this thread:
    Sic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Great place to donate each year! The accompanying pic is a winner as well!McDowell Sonoran Conservancy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcd.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	805497
    But, the desert is supposed to be brown!

I am Walt

Wow, just...wow

Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Chollaball,
    Try this next time you are doing what ever it is you are doing with this thread:
    Oh boy...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    So I'm guessing the conservancy doesn't support yelling "STRAVA!!!" at hikers?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Looks like someone found the tequila tree...
    highly unlikely, but I am considering setting some ground rules next trip to the tequila tree.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Chollaball,
    outstanding suggestion. edited. restrained myself to 1 use.

Give it a crank
    I almost read this: "Go there to sit and drink."

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I almost read this: "Go there to sit and drink."
    did you find the tequila tree? when I'm there I often contemplate how I'm gonna manage the descent.

Give it a crank
    Never seen it, sounds like it could give those Strava KOMers an extra zing.

parenting for gnarness
    this Sunday @5am(ish) I am rolling my Firebird from the Windgate Bashas up TT->East End, then either Windgate or Bell back. Company welcome if you can keep a solid pace. Should be done in 3.5-4 hrs. I was all set for this ride last Sunday, but U2MeToo pinged me Saturday night with a free kayak and shuttle setup for the Lower Salt. I rode East End about 3 weeks ago on my 29er - its getting rrrrrrrrreally hard and even though I've ridden it like 20x on my 29er its time to try it on the bigger bike.

This article just cracked me up, in light of recent posts about Sierra Club types and their (often-exclusive) view of how one should enjoy nature. Riding is not a unique occurrence for me, its part of my life several times a week, so I don't feel the need for special behaviors or to make burnt offerings. I'm not contemplating my solitude like I've made some holy pilgrimage, along with hundreds of others every day. I'm LIVING with the trail. I'm thinking about how erosion and weather patterns require changes in balance and power, how keeping time plots our subjugation to nature's changes, how all this is fun with music and friends and how I'm gonna hoot and scream on each hard switchback, tinkle at the summit, and swing by the tequila tree before I'm done.

Give it a crank
    I rode up Windgate this morning and really thought about going up TT now that my knees are doing ok. It was nice and cool but I decided to leave for later.

Sunday could work, I can "keep a solid pace" except it's usually a photo-oriented slow pace.

I'm a "most likely" for Sun at 5am.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I rode up Windgate this morning and really thought about going up TT now that my knees are doing ok. It was nice and cool but I decided to leave for later.

Sunday could work, I can "keep a solid pace" except it's usually a photo-oriented slow pace.

I'm a "most likely" for Sun at 5am.
    I dont mind pics, I will be pushing more than normal with the big bike so there will be plenty of short rests. Just dont want to be out there at 105 degrees.

chollaball at cocks dot net, or hit me on FB

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    highly unlikely, but I am considering setting some ground rules next trip to the tequila tree.
    Rules for whom? You? I always leave a tidy tree. Will these be usage rules, restock rules or houskeeping rules?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Rules for whom? You? I always leave a tidy tree. Will these be usage rules, restock rules or houskeeping rules?
    i think we'd all appreciate if you could please perform your proper due diligence in the history of a thread and aptly tune your sarcasm meter, before popping off apropos of nothing.

My other ride is your mom
    i think we'd all appreciate if you could please perform your proper due diligence in the history of a thread and aptly tune your sarcasm meter, before popping off apropos of nothing.
    That was hurtful.....

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    That was hurtful.....
    why wont you ride with me?

parenting for gnarness
    Took my Firebird up Tom's Thumb yesterday and met Mtn-Rider at the top. Took me 2 hrs from my house, the Bird added 10-15 min vs. the 29er. Not really much less I could ride, just slower. The DH down East End was so much less scary - it was still a challenge, but the fear of being outgunned was not there. The ride down Bell was superfun. Started riding at 5am, done by 8:45 with time for chit-chat.

mtbr member
    Took my Firebird up Tom's Thumb yesterday and met Mtn-Rider at the top. Took me 2 hrs from my house, the Bird added 10-15 min vs. the 29er. Not really much less I could ride, just slower. The DH down East End was so much less scary - it was still a challenge, but the fear of being outgunned was not there. The ride down Bell was superfun. Started riding at 5am, done by 8:45 with time for chit-chat.
    Is it safe to assume that the posted invites are open to whomever dare show up?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen