Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?

The last couple of years my main "squeeze" has been a race grade hardtail I picked up for $400. That bike has put a smile on my face more times than I can count. However a couple of times it has let me down. Last year some guys who know I ride a lot "suckered" me into a technical ride and i wrecked my knee-torn ACL and everything else.(you dont have to fix a torn ACL-Just Keep Riding). Last week I raced at the Pueblo and the bike smoked leaving a lot of FS rigs in the dust.

The Estrella race was the most recent let down. I really didnt pass anybody and I crashed about four times. It was the type of race that guys with FS rigs who I usually beat by 7-8 minutes now had their turn beating me by 7-8 minutes.

Anyway it boils down to this, I think I want to be a "poser" although I cant afford it. I would rather be looking pretty at the finish on a Fuel 110 rather that sitting in the medic tent getting bandaged.

Baller/Biker

You know the answer already:)

If you luv this sport like I think you do..get the fuel and make up that 7-8 min..

sprocket
    Get a singlespeed and find your soul.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

p.

nice, thanks

sprocket
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.

BRILLIANT!
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.
    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Or just learn how to ride and keep your HT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.
    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.

sprocket
    I saw Hardtail Hank on a fully rigid Specialized Epic. He rocked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.
    I rode SS_Minnow's Gunnar 29er, and it was an eye opener. I loved it and was amazed at how easy it rode for a rigid bike. I just picked up a cheap Unit though, so I'll be on that for a while at least, in order to prevent marital difficulty.

viva la v-brakes!
    just try some larger/more aggressive tires for extra cush and grip for all-around use, save the skinny fast tires for racing.

Edit: except at estrella. rock that course with the big agressive tires.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 02-27-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

sprocket
    I love the Conti Diesel 2.5's on my bikes

Ouch, I am hot!
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    pretentious?

Dr Gadget is IN

You asked.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
    A PooPoser!
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Dirty Monkey

Perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A "Dirdir"????

mtbr member

A possible new ride?

My neighbor knowing how banged up I was from the Estrella Race offered to sell me his high end full suspension Mongoose. For $40 it come complete with a "crash basket" and kickstand. It also has the newest high tech suspension.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

p.
    dammit! you mean i gotta get a bike tat now and tongue ring? or am i the archetype? i'm so confused.

i better go buy more cred.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Steep Hill
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27
    Attached Images Attached Images

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

If they had that in that Caddi off white, cream "look-at-me-I-am-in-ultra-debt-hell-diving-an-overpowered-under-utilized-and-totally-selfish-escalade" color, it would be *****in!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale

Looks like if you bottomed the fork the bridge/stabalizer would engage the frame. Is the fork on backwards?

Large wheels & one gear
    So what's the verdict? Am I supposed to have stickers on my truck to be cool or not? I have two.....does that make me a "wannabe" or am I "wanting to want to be a wannabie"?
    I'm lost, is their someone I can talk to here for guidance?

Low speed, High Drag
    Boy, now I'm really messed up. I ride a F/S bike, but I'm definitely a blue collar worker (mechanic). I have no bike stickers on my truck, and my tatoo has absolutely nothing to do with bikes, and I have no body piercings, either. If I'm wearing a hat, it's because I'm going bald, and don't want to sunburn my chrome dome.

I also don't own a SS, 29'er, or a hardtail. My Prophet is my only bike.

Man, I better look in to those recumbents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast