Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 66
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borregokid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,585

    ... and if we just ... Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?

    The last couple of years my main "squeeze" has been a race grade hardtail I picked up for $400. That bike has put a smile on my face more times than I can count. However a couple of times it has let me down. Last year some guys who know I ride a lot "suckered" me into a technical ride and i wrecked my knee-torn ACL and everything else.(you dont have to fix a torn ACL-Just Keep Riding). Last week I raced at the Pueblo and the bike smoked leaving a lot of FS rigs in the dust.

    The Estrella race was the most recent let down. I really didnt pass anybody and I crashed about four times. It was the type of race that guys with FS rigs who I usually beat by 7-8 minutes now had their turn beating me by 7-8 minutes.

    Anyway it boils down to this, I think I want to be a "poser" although I cant afford it. I would rather be looking pretty at the finish on a Fuel 110 rather that sitting in the medic tent getting bandaged.

  2. #2
    Baller/Biker
    Reputation: streetpro0323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    172

    You know the answer already:)

    If you luv this sport like I think you do..get the fuel and make up that 7-8 min..

  3. #3
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    Get a singlespeed and find your soul.

  4. #4
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Let's not forget the posers on their trendy hardtails/singlespeeds, and the blue collar riders on their hard-earned and much-loved FS bikes.

    p.

    nice, thanks

  6. #6
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.

  7. #7
    BRILLIANT!
    Reputation: El profeta negro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    264
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.

  8. #8
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.
    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: R.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    66
    Or just learn how to ride and keep your HT.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borregokid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Get a recumbent and be a dork.
    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

    On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.

  11. #11
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    I saw Hardtail Hank on a fully rigid Specialized Epic. He rocked.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kendogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    Thats funny-They always seem to be near sighted and wearing glasses with rearview mirrors attatched. I wonder if you get the glasses and mirror when you buy the recumbent. Plus maybe a 70's vintage bell helmet seems to be standard issue.

    On the serious side a couple of guys have mentioned the SS 29er as a worthy mountain bike. Desert Dan used one last month at 12 hours of Temecula to pull off a solo win. Desert Dan has a nice stable of bikes and I think his SS 29er is his favorite.
    I rode SS_Minnow's Gunnar 29er, and it was an eye opener. I loved it and was amazed at how easy it rode for a rigid bike. I just picked up a cheap Unit though, so I'll be on that for a while at least, in order to prevent marital difficulty.

  13. #13
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,856
    just try some larger/more aggressive tires for extra cush and grip for all-around use, save the skinny fast tires for racing.

    Edit: except at estrella. rock that course with the big agressive tires.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 02-27-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  14. #14
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    I love the Conti Diesel 2.5's on my bikes

  15. #15
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
    I AM JUST A JERK

  16. #16
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    pretentious?

  17. #17
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,339

    You asked.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
    A PooPoser!
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  18. #18
    Dirty Monkey
    Reputation: dirtluvraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546

    Perhaps...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    A poseur/poser is a person who habitually pretends to be something he is not. I pretend to be a pretender. What does that make me?
    A "Dirdir"????

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borregokid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,585

    A possible new ride?




    My neighbor knowing how banged up I was from the Estrella Race offered to sell me his high end full suspension Mongoose. For $40 it come complete with a "crash basket" and kickstand. It also has the newest high tech suspension.

  20. #20
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Nice! Me too. Bonus points if they're wearing one of those hipster toques and have at least one bike-related tat (chain around the bicep by default). If the bike's worth more than the vehicle, though, all bets are off -- they're probably the real deal at that point, the archetype against which the posers model themselves.

    p.
    dammit! you mean i gotta get a bike tat now and tongue ring? or am i the archetype? i'm so confused.

    i better go buy more cred.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  21. #21
    Steep Hill
    Reputation: AZClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,486
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,178
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27
    If they had that in that Caddi off white, cream "look-at-me-I-am-in-ultra-debt-hell-diving-an-overpowered-under-utilized-and-totally-selfish-escalade" color, it would be *****in!

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,202
    Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    No such thing as posing when riding this bad boy, just point it downhill and behold the comfort and style.

    http://www.earthspirits.net/Merchant...t_Code=mb_am27
    Looks like if you bottomed the fork the bridge/stabalizer would engage the frame. Is the fork on backwards?

  24. #24
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    720
    So what's the verdict? Am I supposed to have stickers on my truck to be cool or not? I have two.....does that make me a "wannabe" or am I "wanting to want to be a wannabie"?
    I'm lost, is their someone I can talk to here for guidance?

  25. #25
    Low speed, High Drag
    Reputation: kevhogaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    797
    Boy, now I'm really messed up. I ride a F/S bike, but I'm definitely a blue collar worker (mechanic). I have no bike stickers on my truck, and my tatoo has absolutely nothing to do with bikes, and I have no body piercings, either. If I'm wearing a hat, it's because I'm going bald, and don't want to sunburn my chrome dome.

    I also don't own a SS, 29'er, or a hardtail. My Prophet is my only bike.

    Man, I better look in to those recumbents.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,191
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    dammit! you mean i gotta get a bike tat now and tongue ring? or am i the archetype? i'm so confused.

    i better go buy more cred.
    Thankfully, most of my stickers are non-bike related, and all the bike-related stickers I have were free. As for tats, f that.

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    So what's the verdict? Am I supposed to have stickers on my truck to be cool or not? I have two.....does that make me a "wannabe" or am I "wanting to want to be a wannabie"?
    I'm lost, is their someone I can talk to here for guidance?

    Who makes these decisions anyway? Can I still be COOL I only have accumulated one sticker...and it is not even that CooL

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,202
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    Boy, now I'm really messed up. I ride a F/S bike, but I'm definitely a blue collar worker (mechanic). I have no bike stickers on my truck, and my tatoo has absolutely nothing to do with bikes, and I have no body piercings, either. If I'm wearing a hat, it's because I'm going bald, and don't want to sunburn my chrome dome.

    I also don't own a SS, 29'er, or a hardtail. My Prophet is my only bike.

    Man, I better look in to those recumbents.
    Thats gotta be tough...how are others supposed to recognize you as a 'bonafide' rider? At least my tattoo is bike related Although, I have been having somewhat of an inferiority complex about the lack of SS.

  29. #29
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Thankfully, most of my stickers are non-bike related, and all the bike-related stickers I have were free. As for tats, f that.
    damn non-poseur.
    yer stickers are holding your car together.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  30. #30
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    f that.
    That about says it all for your theories on life, eh.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  31. #31
    Dirty Monkey
    Reputation: dirtluvraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546

    My new SS,,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Thats gotta be tough...how are others supposed to recognize you as a 'bonafide' rider? At least my tattoo is bike related Although, I have been having somewhat of an inferiority complex about the lack of SS.
    Only got 1 tat, my ex-wifes name, lots of stickers on my truck, no piercings. Poser or not? Anyone wanna buy my Motolite or Dawg? I'm gettin' a new SS, suggested this for Paul, but he didn't buy. It's mine now! Imagine bombing down Pima fire road on this, I'll really shake up the hikers AND be cool! Maybe even pick up chicks!
    Last edited by dirtluvraz; 10-05-2006 at 01:34 PM.

  32. #32
    Steep Hill
    Reputation: AZClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Is the fork on backwards?
    Haha! The good news is the chance of the owner of this bike maxing out the front travel is slim to none.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14
    I don't consider everyone with a full-sus rig & stickers on their car to be a poseur. You typically can't judge someone as such until you see them ride; their ability, the effort they put into riding, and how often they ride are the true determining factors.

    As far as the hardtail vs. full suspension question goes, that's honestly up to you. If you think that the hardtail is holding you back really tearing it up, then save up your cash and get yourself the best bike you can afford. I'm on a hardtail and don't have many probs, I figure that the longer I'm on this bike I'll be that much better when I eventually upgrade to a smoother rig.

  34. #34
    A plethora of pinatas
    Reputation: mcoplea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by El profeta negro
    I gauge a "poser" not by the bike they ride, but by how many bike related stickers they have on the back of their vehicle.
    Nice. By your standards, about 1/2 of the mountain bikers out there are "posers" - including myself.

    I have 2 bike related stickers on my vehicle. What would my poser rating be??

  35. #35
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by macko
    As far as the hardtail vs. full suspension question goes, that's honestly up to you. If you think that the hardtail is holding you back really tearing it up, then save up your cash and get yourself the best bike you can afford. I'm on a hardtail and don't have many probs, I figure that the longer I'm on this bike I'll be that much better when I eventually upgrade to a smoother rig.
    Interesting you say that. This brings up another topic. I don't know if you are implying that those who have FS have better bikes than someone with a HT ( I don't think thats what you mean). But, there are alot of people out there that think FS is better than HT, gears are better than SS. That it is an upgrade to have a FS bike. I see it as what "type" of riding style/experience you want to have. I like having the choice to grab my SS HT or FS gears it's all what I am in the mood for. At this point in my riding life I will struggle with the decision all day of which bike I want to ride tonight (I only have two, 3rd one on the way).....do I feel like having a cushy ride but able to go over things a little faster or do I feel like hammering it out and enjoying the simpleness of single speed that puts a perm-a-grin on my face everytime I happen to ride it. ANyways, this is just something that has been on my mind.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

  36. #36
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Nice. By your standards, about 1/2 of the mountain bikers out there are "posers" - including myself.

    I have 2 bike related stickers on my vehicle. What would my poser rating be??
    6.3 on the Standardized Mountain Bike Poser Scale. The math is real complicated, and there are sigmas and mus and stuff in there. Don't ask for an explanation.

    Weighting and averaging may bring it up to a 6.8 or so, depending on your riding frequency and choice of facial hair.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    75
    I will say, racing last year at Estrella, those riding an F/S had an advantage over my riding style with a hardtail.

    On the uphills, the rocky terrain had me lose my momentum more times than I can count where the squishies just plowed thru whatever was in their way.

    On the decents, where I had to pick my line, the squishies just ran over everything willy-nilly.

    My biggest mistake riding that course was not running fatter tires though. *shrugs* I was running 1.9s at max pressure. Live and learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    The last couple of years my main "squeeze" has been a race grade hardtail I picked up for $400. That bike has put a smile on my face more times than I can count. However a couple of times it has let me down. Last year some guys who know I ride a lot "suckered" me into a technical ride and i wrecked my knee-torn ACL and everything else.(you dont have to fix a torn ACL-Just Keep Riding). Last week I raced at the Pueblo and the bike smoked leaving a lot of FS rigs in the dust.

    The Estrella race was the most recent let down. I really didnt pass anybody and I crashed about four times. It was the type of race that guys with FS rigs who I usually beat by 7-8 minutes now had their turn beating me by 7-8 minutes.

    Anyway it boils down to this, I think I want to be a "poser" although I cant afford it. I would rather be looking pretty at the finish on a Fuel 110 rather that sitting in the medic tent getting bandaged.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745

    Oh crud

    I guess I'm a poseur. I (did) have lots of stickers on my car (all bike related) and I have a cycling-related tattoo. Course, I drive a car that is worth less than half of what each of my rides is worth and most of the stickers were from companies that I work with, so does that cancel the other out?

    Cheers

    KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  39. #39
    freak of nature
    Reputation: hcooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    124

    huh?

    i thought hardtails allowed better traction when climbing and if you pick your line correctly, you should fly down hills as smoothly as the double-squishies.... there's just no way you can stay in the saddle on the babyheads, unless you like that sort of thing.

    i say, "ride a hardtail until your back gives out....and then continue to ride a hard tail."

    but hey, i'm just an unfrozen caveman hardtail mtn. bike rider and your world frightens me...

    ti hardtails = the shizzle.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tukson Rider
    I will say, racing last year at Estrella, those riding an F/S had an advantage over my riding style with a hardtail.

    On the uphills, the rocky terrain had me lose my momentum more times than I can count where the squishies just plowed thru whatever was in their way.

    On the decents, where I had to pick my line, the squishies just ran over everything willy-nilly.

    My biggest mistake riding that course was not running fatter tires though. *shrugs* I was running 1.9s at max pressure. Live and learn.
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    75
    If you pick your lines correctly while climbing, you maintain momentum. To increase traction, I just stay seated or if standing, lean back a little while pedaling.

    Estrella trail is very rocky uphills and down.

    As for flying down hills, with the right tire pressure and tires, you can go fairly smoothly, but you still have to pick lines. Usually picking lines is not the "go straight down tactic" the squishies are able to do thus saving time and speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcooper
    i thought hardtails allowed better traction when climbing and if you pick your line correctly, you should fly down hills as smoothly as the double-squishies.... there's just no way you can stay in the saddle on the babyheads, unless you like that sort of thing.

    i say, "ride a hardtail until your back gives out....and then continue to ride a hard tail."

    but hey, i'm just an unfrozen caveman hardtail mtn. bike rider and your world frightens me...

    ti hardtails = the shizzle.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BKKFARANG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27
    Ride what you love and don't worry what others think ! nuf said

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    221
    Maybee ask johnnio

  43. #43
    how much for your sister
    Reputation: johnnio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by BKKFARANG View Post
    Ride what you love and don't worry what others think ! nuf said
    so did it take you 5 years to come up with that answer ? The thread is from 2006.

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    so did it take you 5 years to come up with that answer ? The thread is from 2006.
    Im quick like that

  45. #45
    The PNF Ax Man.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
    Would you rather be a "poser" on an FS or a blue collar rider on a hardtail?
    Learn basic bike mechanics to maintain a modern lightweight geared FS and step into the "90's." You know they have disc brakes now too. . JK.

    Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

  46. #46
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,237
    Kavurider now owns a car that cost more than his bikes. Oh how times have changed.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  47. #47
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Poser and Blue Collar are the only choices?

    I'll stick to "NO SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN!"
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,008
    Who asks things like that? WTF!!!!!!! Ride a bike, drink some beers, get a nice lil honey to squeeze on and chill the **** out!

  49. #49
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,572
    what's a collar,, i don't own any of those.

  50. #50
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,075
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Kavurider now owns a car that cost more than his bikes. Oh how times have changed.
    Yeah but still just as broke!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •