mtbr member
    Jan 2009

wondering if i could get a little info

Hey guys and gals

Later this month i will taking a family trip out to Flagstaff, and i was hoping to get a little help and or suggestions for a ride or 2.
    We are doing a loop to include vegas and on the way home, we are stopping to do some sight seeing, and maybe a trail ride or 2.
    Do you think anybody could point me in the right direction, on what i shouldn't miss.
    Thanks and i appreciate the help
    As an fyi, i will be on my SS rigid bike
    thanks again
    Roger

Pivotal figure
    I'd check out the sticky at the top of the AZ forum page as well but depending on your leg strength Mt Elden has the trails that really draw people to Flag. Schultz and Sunset are the classic rides and Little Bear is a very sweet add-on to lengthen things up.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

banned
    I hear there is a map.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by grndskpr
    Hey guys and gals

Later this month i will taking a family trip out to Flagstaff, and i was hoping to get a little help and or suggestions for a ride or 2.
    We are doing a loop to include vegas and on the way home, we are stopping to do some sight seeing, and maybe a trail ride or 2.
    Do you think anybody could point me in the right direction, on what i shouldn't miss.
    Thanks and i appreciate the help
    As an fyi, i will be on my SS rigid bike
    thanks again
    Roger
    lower brookbank is rather steep for an enjoyable singlespeed ride in the uphill direction, imo; i cannot recall the last time i suffered up brookbank on my singlespeed. elden lookout road is doable going up on a singlespeed, but has 3 or 4 sections where the incline steepens, too; i've ridden it many, many times on the singlespeed and it's always a sustained grunt through the steeper sections, but i'm no pro.

otherwise absolutely everything else in the dry lake hills /slash/ mount elden /slash/ fort valley vicinity is ready-to-ride on your rigid singlespeed! hope you have fun!
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    I hear there is a map.
    just make sure you get the one with correct names on it.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great Flagstaff rides on a rigid SS:

Forces of Nature - A great mix of rolling singletrack with intermittent rocky bits and not too difficult climbing. The area is a maze of interconnected trails along the base of Elden. Start at the top of fourth st. at the church parking lot trailhead and go east. Lots of little loops and side-trails. Pretty hard to get lost, too. Down always leads to Pipeline Road.

Schultz Creek Trail - Mostly dry now, with mud only in a couple spots. Out and back. Up is a gradual climb, down is one great ride. Smooth singletrack through the forest. TH is on Schultz Pass Rd. off of HWY 180.

Fisher Point Trail - If you have the time, this one is half a day, but probably my favorite in the area. From the FUTS trail below Butler Ave. take the trail southeast to the AZ Trail TH by the pond. Climb up and then descend down into a green open valley at the west end of walnut canyon (don't miss the caves down the 'equestrian bypass' trail... lock your bike to something and hike in a short distance). A _steep_ climb up to Fisher Point and then down several miles of some of the most fun trail in the area. One more really steep bit where the trail descends into the canyon. Wind up in the Campbell Mesa area in East Flagstaff (which is sort of really easy, fun riding all by itself).

Most of the other trails on Elden are do-able on a rigid SS, but the initial climbing is killer. Up Elden Lookout Rd. to Sunset Trail is amazing, but long, and 2000ish vertical feet of initial climbing. I'd also recommend staying off of Oldham and Rocky Ridge unless you are really into sustained, slow technical riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool thanks a ton
    I am old, slow and illinois is rather flat
    But i am in it for the fun
    Directions are important, since in all reality i have never been east
    of the Mississippi(other than Vegas)
    Again thanks much for all the advice, and trail pointers
    While i love my family, it will be nice to experience trails other than the
    ones i have been riding for years
    Look for the old guy on the side of the trail panting, on a black GF rig
    R

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    just make sure you get the one with correct names on it.

It's been revised?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Right on, man. Don't forget the hydro and the suncreen. 7,000ft above sea level. Dehydration is a major issue if you aren't used to the altitude, and you can burn in 30 min or less in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    Right on, man. Don't forget the hydro and the suncreen. 7,000ft above sea level. Dehydration is a major issue if you aren't used to the altitude, and you can burn in 30 min or less in the summer.
    I am a landscaper, so the sun isn't to much of an issue, but i was told to pack my camelback and an extra bladder full. Altitude may be an issue, but i am hoping i am in better shape than the last time i was near 7k.
    I guess the worst thing that could happen is i turn around and go back to the car/hotel
    But thanks for the heads up, I didnt even think about Flag being so high. i mean chicago has climbs in the 500 ft range(i think)
    I am more concerned about the heat outside vegas
    I better make sure my cell phone is charged
    R

Pivotal figure
    The heat won't be too bad in Flag but in Vegas it's gonna be toasty. Highs will most likely be around 105...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Saucy Size
    Note that Flag *starts* 7000' above sea level. The high points are >9000', which -- at least for me -- is a whole 'nother challenge.

I know atmospheric pressure is measured on a curve, but it still amazes me that I can feel and ride fine at 7k but put me at 9k, and I can barely spell my own name.

p.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Vegas and Laughlin should both be ridiculously hot, i hope to get out really early, and be done really early, at least thats the plan. I am unsure how that will turn out, never ridden with a hangover, but there is always a first time.
    As far as altitude, i spent time at 10k once,years ago, and as i recall it was interesting to say the least
    Thanks for the heads up, as has been said caution will be the better part of valor, and i am not looking to prove anything to anyone
    keep those tips and trails coming
    R

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    One other item, as with many cities there are good parts and bad parts.
    Having never been to Flagstaff, is there a better part of town or woorse when considering hotel bookings??
    Or does it really matter. family is coming, and while some rates look really good, i becaome concerned there cheep for a reason
    Any advise on clean moderately priced diggs with a pool?
    Or maybe where not to stay
    thanks again
    R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    ...but put me at 9k, and I can barely spell my own name.

p.
    Sorry for the tangent, but I had to chuckle here.

So, did you post this from somewhere at or above 9K -- 'cause your sig is, well, not
    spelled out.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Sorry for the tangent, but I had to chuckle here.

So, did you post this from somewhere at or above 9K -- 'cause your sig is, well, not
    spelled out.

Permanent damage from too much high-altitude riding. Do you think I'd be modding this monkey house without being brain damaged?

p.

mtbr member
    Flagstaff isn't really a pool town but there's a nice indoor, heated pool at the Radisson.

The usual suspects can be found around the western most two of the three major interchanges w/ I40: I17/Milton and Butler.

The seedy or perhaps low budget options can be found along I66.

A couple of the best options would be closer to downtown where the action and flavor is. In the middle of downtown is the Hotel Monte Vista but unless you're looking for that kind of flavor I would choose something a little quieter. The new Drury Inn/Conference Center on the north end of the NAU campus is centrally located with probably the best view anywhere in Flag of the SF Peaks. Close by and more budget oriented is the Rodeway Inn, Budget Inn, and Super 8, all on Milton Rd. Embassy Suites is a nice compromise.

Basically I would stay away from east Flagstaff. Not that it's run down or anything but your further away from downtown and quick access to most of the riding.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I think "forces of nature" has some character.. one of my favorite trails in flag period. I have so much damn fun on that trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    I think "forces of nature" has some character.. one of my favorite trails in flag period. I have so much damn fun on that trail.
    Well now i have to hit it. cant pass up that recomendation
    But if i could ask, where does it start and how would i get there from some thing i cant miss
    or
    is there some address i can plug into the tom tom, as to not waste a ton of time looking for a trail head, and ending up in someones back yard. Yes its happened but i was on a dirtbike, and no i didnt know it till i was almost on his deck.
    Stupid wisconsin
    or maybe a website or should i just hit up an LBS and buy a map
    time is short, the trip starts at midnight, but Flag's about a week away
    R

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

Yeah, it has some character alright. I ride it three or four times a week as it provides a good off-road route between home and work. Still finding new loops and side trails. A lot of riding in Flag has the tendency of being either too easy or fairly epic... Forces (along with the Pipeline, Christmas Tree, and Little Elden Spring Trails) occupies a sweet spot for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kingman has Hualapi Mountain and Williams has Bill Williams Mountain (on I-40) also have mountain trails that I have not ridden. Another fun adventure for the family is the train from Williams to the south Rim of the Grand Canyon. If you've never seen the canyon it's awesome. There's also the Rainbow Rim Trail on the north rim of the canyon but it's a longer drive. Views are better, more remote.
    Nearby the north rim, in southwestern Utah is Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain, 2 rides that'll change your mind about where you live, 2 of the most fun trails on earth.
    If you take I-70 west, you'll be near Thunder Mountain in Utah, very scenic and fun. It's just west of Bryce National Park.
    agmtb

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grndskpr
    Well now i have to hit it. cant pass up that recomendation
    But if i could ask, where does it start and how would i get there from some thing i cant miss
    or
    is there some address i can plug into the tom tom, as to not waste a ton of time looking for a trail head, and ending up in someones back yard. Yes its happened but i was on a dirtbike, and no i didnt know it till i was almost on his deck.
    Stupid wisconsin
    or maybe a website or should i just hit up an LBS and buy a map
    time is short, the trip starts at midnight, but Flag's about a week away
    R
    Groundskeeper,

I would be glad to take you on a ride. I was picking up something at one of the bike shps a few weeks back and ran into three guys from Minnesota who were here for the first time and we all went out for an easy ride. Unfortunately, it was the lowest and flatest set of trails in town and they were having some difficulty. That's not usually the case. Normally there are plenty of trails to ride for flatlanders that avoid too much vertical while offering a great deal of fun. You can dictate the distance, according to how you are feeling. Many people don't even notice the altitude. The weather in Flagstaff is near perfect and so are the trail conditions. I have a ride that starts on the east side (Christmas Tree Trail) and heads to the west over trails newly named; Thirsty Dog, Treadstone, Sisters of Mercy (one of the Sisters is Forces of Nature, along with Ripley, Savannah Nix, and Calamity Jane). Then I jump onto the newest trail; Cracka-Lackin, which continues west and connects with Lower Oldham. That's a four mile twisty and fun warm-up with some of the best trail features on the lower slopes of Elden. From there you can ride up a short distance on Lower Oldham and ride down Rocky Ridge, and over into the Fort Valley system of trails, that will allow for some greater speeds.

If you have time for a second ride, and you are between 5'9" and 6'3", I could put you on my wifes Voodoo or my Dos Niner. Both are geared and will allow you a comfortable ride up the mountain. It's a shame to visit Flagstaff and not get the opportunity to ride Little Bear Trail. It's a 3.7 mile long trail down the north side of Elden and can be part of a great loop where you can enjoy going down both Little Bear and Schultz Creek Trails. It is the most common loop out-of-towners take when visiting Flagstaff. You would have to pay for the pleasure by climbing over 1500 feet, but it is an easy climb with no steep sections.

I sort of work when I want so I can get away whenever I feel like going riding. Getting a mpa at the local bike shop is a good option but less personal. Most of the locals enjoy showing folks our wonderful trails. Give me a shout when you get to town. I just hired a landscaper to start a big project in the back yard . Maybe you'll have some helpful tips.

The Prodigal Son

Respect the land, defend the defenseless and don't ya never spit in front of women and children.
    - The Code of the West

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Upset

TPS thanks for the offer, and if you dont mind showing an old slow fat guy around, i would love a tour, however i suspect since i am a rather new at this, you may get bored. So i would feel obligated to help out on your home project. My advantage in earthmoving is that i have worked for sometime for a local college. All this means is that i am not profit motivated, i am long term, done correctly motivated, which means i only do work the right way, and have no need to make a profit. As i am sure you will note, both ends of the spectrum are miles apart, but in reality only(if done right from the start) about 10-15% apart money wise.
    While there are miles of trails,in every state, i only really have time for a few rides, when i am not driving. Thanks much for all the great info, but between New Mexico and family i think the rides listed(vegas,lauglin,flagstaff) is all there will be time for. My guess is my next thread will have pictures of thing you are already familiar with, but with a flat landers perspective. Expect a lot of gasping and complaining with a happy ending.
    Later and i am off to bed, chores done, truck loaded
    next stop Tulsa
    R

mtbr member
    Turkey Mountain in Tulsa is worth a stop if you have an hour or two. Fun, twisty singletrack on the ridgeline just se of downtown on the west side of the Arkansas River. Being a snob from AZ I was pleasantly surprised last xmass at how fun it was.

Members who have read this thread: 0