How much further ???

Winds are changing. Stable soon to be -1

Well I never thought Id say this but I think its time to sell the Slayer. Ever since I got my Trans Am Ive found my desire to ride the Slayer drop off. At first it was fun to compare the whole 26er vs 29er thing and in actuality I never really found huge difference. What I've begun to realize is the Trans Am just fits me better. Not only in terms of fitting me physically but also fitting my riding. When I got the Slayer I thought I would ride Somo more than I do and I figured Id hit up a few bike parks per year but for one reason or another it just hasnt worked out that way. Im finding that for nearly 100% of my rides Im choosing the TransAm and only ride the Slayer since its hanging on the wall.
    I realized it might be time to sell it when I was riding at Hawes this morning and thought to myself "This sucks I wish I had the Trans AM". Might be a good condition used 2011 Slayer 50 going on the market soon.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I know the feeling. My 6" Giant Reign has been hanging ever since I got a 4" 29er in October. I'm kinda a pack rat, and keep telling myself that I'll ride it again, I just wish I knew when that was....

mtbr member
    The Slayer is a bike that was mentioned as one I should get next. One reason is because it and I are both Canadian. Would you recommend it to someone wanting that type of bike?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Meatbomb
    For the right price he will

Give it a crank
    The best way to deal with your -1 is to start thinking about what your +1 should be like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    For the right price he will
    Ha good point.

Him "so I'm thinking of selling my Slayer"

Potential buyer "would you recommend the Slayer?"

Him "nope"
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member

Re: Winds are changing. Stable soon to be -1

Same boat here... Don't want to sell my intense tracer but I always seem to pull the 29 ht... But as someone else posted my -1 will result in a 29 fs +1 so it's all good. The way I'm looking at it is that the slayer and tracer are only depreciating so better sooner than later with selling them.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Ha good point.

Him "so I'm thinking of selling my Slayer"

Potential buyer "would you recommend the Slayer?"

Him "nope"
    Yeah Id recommend it if that's the type of bike you are looking for. I did a ton of research before buying it and really liked what it had to offer. Steep seat tube angle for climbing and slack 66 degree HA. 160mm front and 165mm rear. It took a little time to adjust to the geometry but after awhile I could ride everything I could on my old bike. The steep tech climbs/maneuvers took a bit more power but it was worth it come time to go downhill.

Honestly the bike really gave me the confidence to overcome a lot of my mental barriers. I rode it down the waterfall on national successfully for example.

It really is a great bike but Ive realized I just don't do the riding that requires a bike of this caliber anymore. While you can easily take it out at Hawes for example, when compared to my HT it really is too much bike. I would never take it on a 30 mile ride on BCT or the AZT. It really isn't needed for Hawes or Gold Canyon. I am struggling with letting it go but I need to be realistic. Id rather have someone out on the trail shredding with it than sitting in my garage collecting dust and tire sealant drying out.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You'll be sorry.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I've kept my 2001 Marin Rock Springs, and I only rode it when my 29ers were down. Which happened a bit more often than you'd think. Always nice to have a backup.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

parenting for gnarness
    Sam Kinison once said "you won't be needing this anymore"

Addicted to 2 wheels
    My 29 FS was out for a out few weeks, and I have been loving the cheap 29 HT back up bike. I kept setting best times on downhills with it too, which really surprised me. I got the nice bike back yesterday and had a hard time with it on the trails. I think I will readjust, or maybe I just prefer HT bikes? Maybe it is geometry as they are both XC oriented bikes.

Either way, great problems to have! You like your TransAm so much, you don't want to ride a different bike.

mtbr member
    Same here. I think my Pivot mach 5.7 along with the command post maybe go on the market soon as well. I just really have no need for a 26FS for what I ride. 29HT covers it all. Maybe a SS can replace it?

How much further ???
    FOLLOW UP:

So we spent the 4th of July week in Albuquerque visiting family and decided to take both bikes and use this trip to determine the final verdict of my Slayer. Their house has easy access to the Foothill trail system so that was my testing ground.

14 mile loop, 4 days in a row alternating days between the Trans AM and the Slayer.

The loop consists of what I would say is 100% XC with sections of fast and smooth, mixed with more technical large embedded rock sections. The climbs and decents were longer but not as steep as lets say at Hawes.

Day 1 TransAM. Good all around performer. Exactly what I would expect.
    Day 2 Slayer. Wow! Totally didnt see it coming. It was like a missle in the embedded rock sections. I felt significantly faster. New lines were opening up and I could just plow through those sections with the suspension eating everything up. Once things pointed downhill things got even faster. My brother-in-law even commented how fast I was on that bike. The Slayer just took off on the long but not as steep downhill sections. I could keep my line in the washboard sections and had much more control at speed in general. Ive always said the Slayer feels better the faster it goes and this proved it again. Max speeds on the TransAM (dont have a comp on the Slayer) were in the mid 20's.

It really was fun to ride.

mtbr member
    yeah Doug thats what happens to me! I will ride my 29er HT on desert classic, and then when I take my UZZI (all mountain build) on a ride, it's like going home. the full-susser does it all good, and to me is lot's more fun.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    So the Slayer stays?

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    So the Slayer stays?
    You know I think so. I think part of my problem is I have pushed it a little too much toward the DH side of things with my tire selection which has resulted in some adverse side effects. I went with the more DH geared Minion DHF exo tires but didnt have much luck with them mounting to the stock DT Swiss M480 rims. I actually had to go with the Stans rim strips to get them mounted up. So Minion 2.5 + rim strip + sealant + M480 rims = boat anchors for what I ride. Im thinking some CK / Flow EX wheels and some faster rolling tires and I will pretty much end up with a new bike anyway.