mtbr member

Wilderness First Aid Course's?

Anyone have any info on these tyes of courses that are geared towards mountain biking that are held in the Phoenix area ?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im pretty sure that any first aid course would be fine,, i dont think there are any special first aid skills that only pertain to mtb.
    i doubt extraction of a handlebar from someone's butt is much different than a 9-iron

mtbr member
    you can review medieval medicine journals for treatment of broken seatpost impalements

but seriously, MTB is a sport - so you are looking at sport related injury type of a course.

mtbr member
    A Wilderness First Responder will cover just about anything you'd run into with regard to injuries encountered while mtn biking. It's not much different from other activities in a backcountry setting (ie., on-scene assessment, treatment, and possible evacuation of an injured person) without going into shock yourself or doing the patient more harm than good. There are courses offered that specialize in climbing and river running but good luck finding one specific to mountain biking.

I highly recommend Desert Mountain Medicine Wilderness Medicine Courses and Outdoor FIeld Training

Here's some others:
    Remote Rescue - Wilderness First Reponder Instruction
    Wilderness Medical Associates ? Wilderness First Responder Training ? Wilderness Advanced First Aid
    Wilderness Medicine Training Center - Wilderness Medicine Training Center Home
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Just another half mile...
    WFR is a big time commitment, if you have the time, well worth it. I took the Wilderness First Aid course a few years ago over a weekend in Prescott and it was excellent. Well worth the weekend. Plan to take it again this fall with the wife.

Another one to consider in addtion to the ones RM posted is the NOLS Wildeness Medical Instutute . A couple local WFA classes scheduled: 9/7-8/13 in Sedona, 10/26-27/13 in Phx and 11/9-10-13 in Tucson.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    A Wilderness First Responder will cover just about anything you'd run into with regard to injuries encountered while mtn biking. It's not much different from other activities in a backcountry setting (ie., on-scene assessment, treatment, and possible evacuation of an injured person) without going into shock yourself or doing the patient more harm than good. There are courses offered that specialize in climbing and river running but good luck finding one specific to mountain biking.

I highly recommend Desert Mountain Medicine Wilderness Medicine Courses and Outdoor FIeld Training

Here's some others:
    Remote Rescue - Wilderness First Reponder Instruction
    Wilderness Medical Associates ? Wilderness First Responder Training ? Wilderness Advanced First Aid
    Wilderness Medicine Training Center - Wilderness Medicine Training Center Home

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My Search and Rescue team teaches the class ever so often at the North Mountain Visitor center off of 7th street. I think the class is Sat and Sun. Look at Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Assoc (CAMRA) website. It might have future dates

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone

Vincit qui patitur
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL