Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

this is why you don't cut corners on the trails

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Bronsondude 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Ouch! I once removed one from the forearm of I guy I came across on Alta trail @ SOMO. All I had was a leatherman on me, and I ripped it out of his skin................after a few tries! He was a tough SOB, barely flinched. Heck, he bombed down Alta with no helmet on, what should I have expected?

#13 ·
I was told about the comb trick when I first went out into the desert here, so I started taking a comb on my hikes and rides. When I got one on my calf, I sat on a rock, pulled out the comb and placed it behind the grabby cholla ball.

The comb worked perfectly except for one thing, it popped off and went right onto my other calf. I never carried a comb again, the folding scissors & pliers work better. If you use a comb, aim it at somebody else.

#15 ·
I had that swelling when I stuck my hand on barrel cactus on BCT. I was on climb just after the boyscout loop and got off balance had two choices. 1) Have 90% chance of falling into foot tall barrel cactus or 2) Put my hand on it to keep myself up right. I chose number 2.

I only had 5-6 spins in my hand, but with in 40 seconds my hand locked up. 5 min late I could ride again so I finished my ride, but the hand got swollen for the next 2 days. It did get better over time and for while I was soaking the hand in bucket of warm water and Epsom Salt. Seemed to help.

#23 ·
Chollas and other cactii will one day evolve to defend themselves from mountain bike tires. They'll develop a special hook-knife needle capable of puncturing both tires, slicing the sidewalls, and communicating with nearby chollas to jump on you while you're fixing a flat. They'll become so fearsome we'll all become roadies in search of safety.

#25 ·
Hope you heal up fast, expect you're going to be in a world of pain for the next few days.

Need to get me some of those to put in the corners of the new trail I just made :D Lots of off camber, swoopy corners and guys are cutting them loads trying to stay ahead of, or catch up to others. Think maybe I'll stick to just finding some big a$$ rocks instead or maybe a thorn bush or two ;)

#26 ·
I remember one of my first rides I clipped a cactus with my hand. I kept getting sharp pains in one of my knuckles, bad enough to wake me up at night. A few days later, a cactus needle was pushed out of the knuckle. Surprised that such a little thing hurt so bad. I crashed into another one, shoulder first, at the top of Goat Camp a while back, and I actually still have a big needle in my shoulder. That one hurt for a while too. But after a recent run in with a cactus testicle on my calf, I carry a comb now.

Seems like it's an inevitability riding in the desert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.