Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tucson, AZ

Why do you love Arizona?

Yesterday was amazing down here in Tucson. The bike swap, post/pre-bike swap rides, booze and cruise, bars on bikes.... seeing all those people on 4th avenue was simply awe-inspiring. Lee, Scott and I rode out to Brown Mountain after the Bike Swap to meet up with another group of mtbers. 5 hours on the bike when combined with perfect weather, tons of people on the bike all day (even into the night as people began to drink and ride)....the idea of a community of cyclists was evident all day. That is why I live in Arizona.

From Chad's Mountain Bike Blog
    The crew before Yetman Wash...Have you ever seen 3 Leviathan's on a ride?

Ride on.....

mtbr member
    I grew up in Arizona and love it because my family still lives there and the Senoran desert is the most beautiful place on earth. I left Arizona because the cities kinds of suck (grew up in Phx), the air is bad (I only have asthma in AZ), the water tastes like chlorine, and I hate driving.

Living in Oregon now I don't have to drive anywhere, but I'm constantly home sick and really miss that beautiful desert. I get to spend a whole month mountain biking down there over the holidays!

My other ride is your mom
    Gotta say it's the open spaces (beauty, terrain, views) and the ability to pick your temp if you need to based upon the elevation difference between Yuma and the peaks. There really is no excuse why you can't get out and do something outdoors 365 days a year here. I grew up here and have moved away twice, once to Oklahoma and once to DC. Each time I left, I learned to appreciate all this state has to offer more and more. I even learned to stop *****in about the traffic in PHX after having survived DC for 4 years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WINTER, and the mountains.
    agmtb

Too many Sedonuts...
    Arizona is not what it used to be. Now people move here to escape Orange County real estate or midwestern winters. They brought HOA's, traffic, grass lawns and sprawl. Used to be, people moved here because they didn't want to be found. They brought guns and loot.

It makes for an interesting mix.

But the one thing that keeps me coming back to my birthplace is the endless expanses of fenceless beautiful public land that you can't find back east. And SoMo.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

"Yabut"
    Beautiful scenery and the great variety of trails. The ability to be in the snow and trees, and then 2 hours later, be in the warmth of the desert. The ability to ride almost every single day of the year. And most of all, the great people I ride with.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    The parking.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ???

Kathleen in AZ
    Weather, sun, endless miles of trails in a great variety of terrains, vast open areas where you can see for miles and miles, I can't remember the last time I said "I can't ride today because it's raining", job opportunities, friends, family, desert critters. I have finally found home.

livin' the dream......
    Lot's of options to ride with in 45 minutes of my house, excellent scenery and the fact we are coming into our prime riding season as the rest of the country is hanging it up for the winter. Even though I miss living in Colorado, this place is cool too.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Su Ling.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Not a Barry supporter.
    Most on the boards, at least the ones I've ridden, know that I feel the exact opposite as you and most of the people who live here. If it wasn't for family, I wouldn't be here. Every time I look out the window I wonder where the color is. I hate the color tan, I hate heat, I hate traffic, I hate mountain-less (Yes, I said that) and I overall just hate the city.

I do like the biking community as a whole though. Nowhere else that I've lived has had such a great and friendly community of of fellow riders.

I've said many times that if I wasn't married, I'd be in Montana, Wyoming or Alaska. Probably the latter. I like green, snow and the cold.

I try not to bring it up much as it's a broken record but sometimes it just need to be let out.

Sorry....rant over....
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love that in the fall and the winter you can sleep in and still have the rest of the day to go riding.
    Smooth

Master Gardener
    I love Preskit because of the climate more than anything. Very few places in the country have this caliber of mtn biking coupled with an 11-month riding season. Flag's riding trumps Prescott's, but it gets fuggin cold up there. Phoenix has some nice riding, from what I hear, but there's too much automobilin' involved and I don't consider 95-degrees at 6 AM 'riding weather' so that would eliminate May-September for me.

We're pretty lucky up here in our ridiculous cowboy town. You can ride desert, you can ride in the pines, you can do shorties, you do epics... and you can do them all year long without having to get in a car once!

In the rear with the beer
    Just about every day is a beautiful, sunny day. Back east, if it was a sunny warm day I felt compelled to not waste it and rush to get outside, since those days were so few and far between. Now, I wake up, realize its nice and sunny...and can fall back asleep, or stay in front of the TV if I want to because chances are tomorrow will be exactly the same, blue skies and warm (sometimes hot, real hot).
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Hawes Junkie
    Born and raised desert rat here and I love Arizona. Nothing beats calling your Chicago bound brother in Dec while your taken a rest on the trails and gloating since it's 75 degrees outside while he's freezing his tail off and growing his gut a little bit more.

That and the crappy air and traffic have helped me realize that there is no place like home.

mtbr member
    I love lamp!
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

banned

I heart The Kachina Peaks

and yetisurly of course!
    Attached Images Attached Images

wretch
    I was going to post about everything I dislike about arizona, and some of the things I hate about it here. Not worth it, no one cares right

Great mtb community, thats about it. I like this "winter' season. . .but I'm ready to get outta here and back home for some of what Jrock's talkin about.

I like the mountain bikers on here, most of em, all of them that I've been lucky enough to of ridden with. Without mtbr I'd be dabbling around on T100 pedaling a 37 pound bike riding alone. But also without MTBR my lady wouldn't be making fun of me for arranging internet dates with strange men at odd hours of the morning.

I think Arizona has something special to offer riders that no where else does. You've just gotta deal with pricks, things that prick you, and hot weather that makes you act like a prick.

Different strokes. . . I hate the lack of green, the lack of trees, of rolling single track. . . but I love that I can drive an hour or 2 to go get some. I'd rather be living right next to it though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I was going to post about everything I dislike about arizona, and some of the things I hate about it here. Not worth it, no one cares right

Great mtb community, thats about it. I like this "winter' season. . .but I'm ready to get outta here and back home for some of what Jrock's talkin about.

I like the mountain bikers on here, most of em, all of them that I've been lucky enough to of ridden with. Without mtbr I'd be dabbling around on T100 pedaling a 37 pound bike riding alone. But also without MTBR my lady wouldn't be making fun of me for arranging internet dates with strange men at odd hours of the morning.

I think Arizona has something special to offer riders that no where else does. You've just gotta deal with pricks, things that prick you, and hot weather that makes you act like a prick.

Different strokes. . . I hate the lack of green, the lack of trees, of rolling single track. . . but I love that I can drive an hour or 2 to go get some. I'd rather be living right next to it though.
    those pics are AZ

my 2nd other favorite thing is crossing the border back into the golden state

wretch
    Yea I thought they were AZ. . . still looks like some fun.

I'm crossing back over on the 18th. . .

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Yea I thought they were AZ. . . still looks like some fun.

I'm crossing back over on the 18th. . .

shoot me pm when you land

wretch
    I wish it was a landing, that would mean I would not have to make the 14 hour drive through the wastelands of Nevada.

Shite atleast I don't live in Nevada.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Jrock, that looks like the inner basin, was that last winter?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

I am Bob
    2 ride days: I went on a SoMo ride from my house on Saturday morning on the XC bike, took a nap, had a beer , ate some food, then hit the same ride in the afternoon on a big travel bike.
    No drive lifestyle: For those that complain about traffic... You can choose to live central to the valley and your work if you'd like to. I live less than 2 miles from SoMo, 5.5 miles from work (with a back up bus route or the days I'm too lazy to ride), and a 5 minute walk from a Fry's and an excellent taqueria. Driving becomes an inconviniance.
    I've met tons of great people who challenge me in my riding and are great to drink beer with.
    I love it here! Stay gold Ponyboy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast