Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Powered by ice cream.

Why do Hikers...?

I met up with more than the usual hikers this weekend for some reason.

Every exchange was pleasant (even the off leash large dogs were nice). They moved over, I moved over, said good morning and went on our ways.

In addition to this, almost every group asked me if there was "anyone else with me".

I guess I can understand this, but I never ask any other trail users if they have other people with them. I guess I don't really care.

Are hikers being terrorized by the infamous "second biker in line?" I don't see enough traffic on our local trails to really understand this behavior.

This is just a stupid post. Feel free to take it off topic and flame as appropriate. Basically, I think it is stupid to have to tell hikers that no, there is no one behind me when I want to say: "keep your eyes and ears alert, and maybe you will find out for yourselves."
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I met up with more than the usual hikers this weekend for some reason.

Every exchange was pleasant (even the off leash large dogs were nice). They moved over, I moved over, said good morning and went on our ways.

In addition to this, almost every group asked me if there was "anyone else with me".

I guess I can understand this, but I never ask any other trail users if they have other people with them. I guess I don't really care.

Are hikers being terrorized by the infamous "second biker in line?" I don't see enough traffic on our local trails to really understand this behavior.

This is just a stupid post. Feel free to take it off topic and flame as appropriate. Basically, I think it is stupid to have to tell hikers that no, there is no one behind me when I want to say: "keep your eyes and ears alert, and maybe you will find out for yourselves."
    Seriously?

They are just asking so they know whether to wait or continue.
    Where are you riding? On South, riders typically ride in groups, sometimes a rider get's a good lead on everyone else. I always tell hikers how many are behind me. Most are greatful, some seem annoyed.

I think you know all this though.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

I am Walt
    They just want to know if someone else is coming along who may not be right on your tail so they know what to expect and can move out of the way. No biggie, IMO. Plus, I usually tell them, "x more coming behind me"
    Ride more; post less...

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    They just want to know if someone else is coming along who may not be right on your tail so they know what to expect and can move out of the way. No biggie, IMO. Plus, I usually tell them, "x more coming behind me"
    Okay, sorry for the post. I ride alone most of the time. I ride in Prescott where seeing 2-3 other folks on a three hour ride is the usual max. Most times I see no one.

Should the protocol be that as I pass by and exchange pleasantries I also add: "I'm alone"
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Okay, sorry for the post. I ride alone most of the time. I ride in Prescott where seeing 2-3 other folks on a three hour ride is the usual max. Most times I see no one.

Should the protocol be that as I pass by and exchange pleasantries I also add: "I'm alone"
    You should say, "I'm alone...all alone...[suggestive wink]." Then write it up if anything exciting happened.

In the rear with the beer
    Pretty common to inform the hikers or riders if there are more in your group coming up.

I will agree with your comment that hikers have been pretty nice lately. They have also been asking/talking a lot more to me than usual. I've gotten the 'anymore coming" question a lot, and just general inquiriesin both phx and Flagstaff. Couple guys even wanted to look at the feature on my bike and were interested in my tire selection....they seemed a little bummed when I said I was gonna move along.

Did they have a big meeting and are trying to be more understanding??? or are they trying to lure us into some type of complacency before their master plan to take over the trails is executed?
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

banned
    "One behind"
    "Two in back"
    "3 More"
    "Last one"
    "None behind"

mtbr member

Actually, protocal is to say "I'm a loner."

(In all seriousness, unless you're riding with others, no need to let hikers know IMO, unless they ask of course.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Maybe it's because I ride in large-ish groups a lot (the guiding thing), but I always, always proactively tell the first hiker I come across how many riders are in my group. It's easy courtesy. It costs nothing. Hikers I've chatted with appreciate knowing how long they should stay off the trail, rather than getting started again and *whoops* there's another biker, but now they're not somewhere they can easily step off.

p.

wretch
    Ill usually tell hikers how many more are coming and more often than not they huff and puff and say "oh great". . .

parenting for gnarness
    jeez Enel, you country-folk gettin' all surprised by our big-city ways! we might ask ya to use a fork too

the extra communication i think does pay into the karma bank on a crowded trail like Somo - i figure anything i can do to let the hikers know i'm a nice guy and making an effort to share the trail is good for all of us.

mtbr member

"SOLO!" at the top of your lungs works well too.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    You should say, "I'm alone...all alone...[suggestive wink]." Then write it up if anything exciting happened.

lol!

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    jeez Enel, you country-folk gettin' all surprised by our big-city ways! we might ask ya to use a fork too .
    I hear he's very good with a knife...I mean that in the best of ways

it's all that stealthy riding you do Enel
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

That's exactly what I do all the time. I go by and say, "thanks, I'm solo." Then they know not to just stand there like a dope wondering if someone else will come flying by.

Master Gardener
    I like to do my best Clint Eastwood impression and say, "I'm a lone wolf!" and then I HOWL at the top of my lungs and sprint away at breakneck speed. I'm a hairy guy, so it's an easy sell.

Ot

I went skiing this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    looks cold Dave...you need a Pugsley (and chains) for up there
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Maybe it's because I ride in large-ish groups a lot (the guiding thing), but I always, always proactively tell the first hiker I come across how many riders are in my group. It's easy courtesy. It costs nothing. Hikers I've chatted with appreciate knowing how long they should stay off the trail, rather than getting started again and *whoops* there's another biker, but now they're not somewhere they can easily step off.

p.
    Just before you meet a hiker or even meeting another group of bikers coming the opposite direction is a great time to re-group. That way the everyone steps off the trail once, not 15 times.

I thought of this protocol when backpacking into Loon Lake, Idaho, a popular multi-use trail (and excellent destination for mountain bikes if you're ever in the area.) After meeting a group of 20 dirt bikes, strung out at quarter-mile intervals to avoid choking in each other's dust, I got pretty irritated, but tried not to show it. A couple of them even stopped to chat -- turned out that I know them from work.

Practicality dictates that the hiker almost always gets off the trail, regardless of what the right of way rules suggest. A little bit of politeness or a thank you makes it easier for them to continue this behavior without feeling that they have somehow lost out.

Just drop the whole master-of-the-universe attitude and before you know it, all of the hateful old hikers who remember the time before mountain bikes will have all died off or forgotten. Then the trails will be ours forever
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Enel,
    I totally know what you mean.
    I can't help but wonder what good these pieces of information are on a crowded trail.
    I feel that one must be ready for what may be lurking around EVERY blind turn.
    So what difference does it make how many are in a party?

Well, as everyone stated: hiker needs to make the decision as to whether or not he will keep hiking or take a breather waiting for the rest of the party to pass by (esp with moto's @ 1/4 mile increments).... But riders @ riders, the number-in-the-party-hollering makes little sense to me. What am I to do with this information that I am not already doing all the time? I'm ready, at every turn, no matter how crowded, to avoid a collision.
    Does the recipient of the number-in-the-party info then relax and not worry about what is coming next when he counts off the number? What if there is a party 20 yards behind the party in question.... shrug.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I make it a point to get along with the hikers. I will always slow down when passing a hiker, give them a pleasant "good morning", and "thank you", when they yield the line. You still get the occasional rude hikers, but they are mostly friendly on DC anyway.

I like the lone wolf comment, I usually ride solo, maybe if I just howl at the sky when I go by they would give me an even wider path!

Mark
    Dec 2007
    I/We typically always are pleasant on the trail.
    Most of the groups I ride with will dismount for horses but we don't feel the need to do so with hikers. I share much of the sentiment offered up in this thread and believe a little courtesy goes a long way. I'm prone to saying "Good Morning" and "I'm the caboose" or "Two more a bit behind" and I think that the hikers who care appreciate it and those that don't care don't mind.

I ride a bit on the fire roads here in SoCal and some of them have hikers on them and if there was one thing I would change that is the hikers' attitude that they can spread their three or four bodies across the 15 foot wide road with no penalty.

Dear Fire Road Hikers:
    "It is road folks! Treat it like one and we will all get along. I'll pass on the left just like a car and when I come around the corner I'll be on the right side, just like a car!"

Dear Single Track Hikers:
    "I know you may not believe it but I can pass you quite safely without you doing too much if only you will act in a predictable manner. I can ride almost any line and will typically take whatever one you would like to give. You don't even have to stop, just give me some space somewhere..."
    ===============

Mark