Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why aren't there more Super D events in AZ?

853 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Maadjurguer 
#1 ·
I just did my first one last weekend and started searching for more upcoming events, and nothing. I would have thought this would be the most popular form of MTB racing, but there's absolutely nothing out there. What am I missing?

Please excuse my ignorance. I am very new to the MTB racing "scene".

#2 ·
I think Super D has kind of died off Nationally.

Why not more? Someone needs to promote them, get permits, insurance, volunteers, ... It is a bit of work. The turn out likely does not make it viable?

Seems like we get XC races only (MBAA, Epic, ...). Would be cool to see more DH tech types of races here too.

I would like to see some legitimate Enduros in AZ. That would be similar to Super D, but no shuttle and some different rules. New Mexico has a series. We do have the grass roots Beerduros which focus on fun and a little racing.

#3 ·
I think Super D has kind of died off Nationally.

Why not more? Someone needs to promote them, get permits, insurance, volunteers, ... It is a bit of work. The turn out likely does not make it viable?

Seems like we get XC races only (MBAA, Epic, ...). Would be cool to see more DH tech types of races here too.

I would like to see some legitimate Enduros in AZ. That would be similar to Super D, but no shuttle and some different rules. New Mexico has a series. We do have the grass roots Beerduros which focus on fun and a little racing.
Enduro would be great, and perhaps more viable as it has become very popular, but would also argue less viable due to the amount of stages involved. Single stage Enduro? Being called "Enduro" I think would attract more people.

I personally didn't know Super D was a thing until AFTER a Super D race I participated in. I thought it was just a weird name MBAA came up with. I only signed up because I read the description and it sounded Enduro-esque, which excited me.

#9 ·
Thanks, rockman.

As mentioned, Super D is a dying format. That's kind of a shame, because it's fun, but people can only race so many events, and in our experience, enduro has more appeal to beginner or recreational racers because it feels less like a downhill race.

edit: forgot to add that Super D courses are a little harder to come by. A good enduro course is a little easier, and demands less sustained vert. You can stitch a number of 1,000' descents together into a solid enduro course, but that's not enough for a Super D.

There are still a few Super D races around. Grand Targhee has a fantastic one coming up in a couple weeks.

#7 ·
mazur, azdog is right. We have tons of great gravity oriented techy trails in AZ. Just very little competition on those types of trails. Someone or a group would need to be a driving force to make that happen.

Check out the beerduros. Some are more XC oriented and some will focus more on DH type trails. It is all about what they trails system will allow and what the host wants to lay out. I heard Estrella was fairly XC oriented last year. This year will be on FINS, so I expect more DH, but not sure. I will run the same Hawes day course as last year and I think it will be just what you are looking for as long as you can pedal for 22ish miles.

#8 ·
mazur, azdog is right. We have tons of great gravity oriented techy trails in AZ. Just very little competition on those types of trails. Someone or a group would need to be a driving force to make that happen.

Check out the beerduros. Some are more XC oriented and some will focus more on DH type trails. It is all about what they trails system will allow and what the host wants to lay out. I heard Estrella was fairly XC oriented last year. This year will be on FINS, so I expect more DH, but not sure. I will run the same Hawes day course as last year and I think it will be just what you are looking for as long as you can pedal for 22ish miles.
Thanks for the mention of some of those trails, AZDOG.

I ride Hawes all the time as I live by it and like it a lot. Never done 22 miles on it though. Which loop?

#10 ·
It is a loop with an out and back on Twsited/Wild Horse/ NRA.

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/40-o...-3rd-@-8am-25-30-miles-10-tests-940059-2.html
Course:
Start in a transfer. From my house, go East 60 feet into the dirt. Take a right at the path, and follow it to the big road to the left of the fountain. Cross over the median and up Las Sendas Mountain for 4ish minutes. Turn left at Diamond Point gate. Pass two houses on the left and turn left into the single track. Climb for a couple minutes and once you see the telephone pole and cairns, turn right. A minute later, take the straight option. Stop at the highest point before the gate.

Test 1: Drop down to the right of the gate and take a left on to Hawes 40 feet down. After a ½ mile or a few minutes, turn right on Magic Carpet/Upper Saguaro. (This trails showed up 2 years ago, so it might be new to you.) Go a few minutes, and take a left at the fork. Go less than a minute and turn right on to Ridge/Disneyland. Finish in the wash before the fork to Secret. Transfer to Secret taking the right and go for over 5 minutes.

Test 2: Start at Secret DH. After a few minutes, option to go straight, or right. Go straight and then over the big rock for 10 second Mulligan. Gets a little techy and go down switchbacks, then end in the wash. Transfer by following the trail and turn right, going up Mine Climb, then first right to Twisted Sister. Proceed on Twisted for 10-15ish minutes. It is challenging.

Test 3: Twisted Sister as soon as it is all Down Hill, all the way down to the road. There will be a big drop down into a wash and a big up (40 feet). Carry a lot of speed up and then drop down low in the gears or you will not make it up. After that, keep going straight down to the road. Don't take the hard right. Finish on the shoulder of the road. Be careful for the high speed off camber left.
Back track to Wild Horse, turning left. Go for 15ish minutes and take a right off the main trail to scope out the little jumps and then cross back on to a main trail and take the first right into NRA. Climb up for a couple minutes and follow the big berm right, up the hill for a few minutes. Stop after after the two berms.

Test 4: Downhill with berms and fun easy jumps. Follow the karins/back track the way we came. REPEAT, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CAIRNS. It is a spider web of options out there. Count your jumps and get a second mulligan for each one you hit. Will continue into Wild Horse and stop around a big wash before an uphill. Short transfer.

Test 5: The sweet dh/flowy oriented second half or so of Wild Horse to the Twisted Connector. So much flow, but also long and XC. Pace yourself and enjoy one of the best sections of trail in AZ. Finish at the junction. Transfer left back into the big drop and back up. Climb Twisted and turn right at the top to transfer to Mine Trail. Stop at the Mine saddle and check out the mine to the left.

Test 6: Mine Down Hill. Start at the mine. Be careful on this trail. Some might want to get off at a step down after a hairpin turn a few minutes in. Finish at the left turn to Granite. Transfer over to Pride Rock (Ridge) Take the first left, then go straight at the next option. Stop at the top.

Test 7: Roller Coaster down to the Wash.

Test 8: Stop at the Beer Bush for the special test with your time multiplied by 10. Then continue and make a left on Hawes. (Group vote on TRW out and back test, or group split?) Continue on Hawes and start test past Red Ledge.

Test 9: Start test past Red Ledge. Turn right at the junction and follow through to finish at the junction of Fenceline/houses.
Transfer back to my house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.