slower than you

Who started the Freidlein #7 fire?

So the Freidlein #7 fire this weekend on the southern slopes of The Peaks occurred on 9002W road (locally we used to call this road Wild and Wooly, but it's the northern extension of what was once the Chimney Springs Road) south of 522 (Freidlein Prairie Road) which is now basically just a few yards west of the point where the new West "Secret" trail makes a faint fork and dives into the little drainage which is where the trail begins heading south in earnest.

This really isn't a place that's very accessible to car-campers, despite its proximity to Freidlein Prairie Road. And it's not a place hikers frequent. But, it would be a simple location for bike-packers to access and enjoy.

And, that's a funny thing. Because as I was listening to the USFS fire scanner during the fire, the guys driving the water-tender seemed to be having a conversation with dispatch about having the LEOs look for three "bikers" with white and blue helmets that were observed leaving the area. Initially, I assumed that they were referring to motorcycle riders. But, after getting a better handle on where the fire was at, I'm starting to wonder if someone on a bike-packing "adventure" didn't start this fire.

Pretty darn lame, if this is the case. Everyone knows we're on a fire-ban, and for good reason. Making a fire on the Peaks, in June, when it's 40 degrees at night, and dry as a bone is pointless. Someone burned down the whole eastern slope of the mountain on 20 June three years ago because they just had to have a fire that morning. Now, someone else nearly burned down the southern flank of the mountain on Saturday, practically three years later, to the day!

Who started the Freidlein #7 fire this weekend? I have no idea. But if I had to lay odds, I'm pretty sure it was one of "us": someone on a mountain bike, who thinks the woods are rad, but who just can't process that now is not the time to make a fire in the forest. Lame.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

My other ride is your mom
    Harrumph, harrumph!!!

mtbr member
    Seems a rather dubious connection but The FS needs to close the forest from ourselves. And now our favorite, over-priced grocery store has burned down. Bikers were spotted in the area.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

slower than you
    where will we buy Food Club brand, without Bashas'? who will we blame for destroying the forest, if not ourselves?
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Elitest thrill junkie
    TWA 800 started the fire. I saw it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Harrumph, harrumph!!!
    Hello, exactly!!

mtbr member
    I learned quite a bit about fires from a little book called "The Four Agreements". Its basically a note about how to live a better, happier life by making positive change from within. One of agreements is called "Don't make assumptions". Every day, every waking moment. Adding bikes into the mix helps too.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maybe an unemployed, native, firefighter set it? I think that's actually happened before.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Maybe an unemployed, native, firefighter set it? I think that's actually happened before.
    Actually three times, and yes sadly enough one of them was from the White Mtn Apache tribe. The others were employed personnel with the FS; one in AZ and one in Colorado.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    We had some campers leave their fire burning on a breezy day and head to town for breakfast a few weeks back up in Crown King. Luckily, someone called it in and the FS put it out and said the campers were getting cited.

Some people have no respect for the mountains.

pedaller
    Not it!

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member

mtbr member
    This fire was not started by a campfire. The fire was originally called in around 5:30 pm on Saturday eve, potential ignition sources are being investigated but it was not a campfire. What I can tell you is the ban on fires also includes cigarettes and other smoking devices (legal and otherwise) in the forest. Watch where you are smoking dudes, we have been hitting critical thresholds for fuel moistures and ERC values (energy release component) for over two weeks now.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Bud View Post
    This fire was not started by a campfire. The fire was originally called in around 5:30 pm on Saturday eve, potential ignition sources are being investigated but it was not a campfire. What I can tell you is the ban on fires also includes cigarettes and other smoking devices (legal and otherwise) in the forest. Watch where you are smoking dudes, we have been hitting critical thresholds for fuel moistures and ERC values (energy release component) for over two weeks now.
    So some slob smoker possibly started it? Lovely... I guess since they can't even use their own ashtray in their car how can we expect them to not smoke in locations they shouldn't be, eh?

mtbr member
    Must have been a heavy smoker bikepacker - nothing like a smoke to help you climb better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Actually three times, and yes sadly enough one of them was from the White Mtn Apache tribe. The others were employed personnel with the FS; one in AZ and one in Colorado.
    Didn't one guy who started a fire do it so he could put it out and get called a hero? Only it didn't work out and it got away from him? Which fire was that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rodeo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Didn't one guy who started a fire do it so he could put it out and get called a hero? Only it didn't work out and it got away from him? Which fire was that?
    As poseur said, Rodeo chediski fire of 2002. If that guy had known anything about fire, he would have known there would be no way of catching that fire after he lit it, especially considering how dry it was that year. That year the Coconino Natl Forest was closed for 9 weeks, a record that will likely hold for quite some time. Hopefully we get some moisture this upcoming week.