proceed with caution

White Mountains and Monsoons

Looking for beta on the tour of the white mountain 35 mile loop and how the monsoons effect it?

Is it okay to ride that area or is it a hot mess of death mud/trail damage if an afternoon monsoon shows up?

I don't mind rain and getting wet cold and dirty but don't want to get stuck or damage the trails if they can't handle it.

I haven't been there before and wanted to check it out.

Any recommended alternatives or are all the trails a mess right now?

Seems like we are in the time of the year when it rains almost every day in the afternoons.

This weekend is 70% and 90% rain for sat and sun so seeing if its worth it.

Need more cowbell
    I live up here during the summer. We ride the course multiple times per week. It depends on the storm and duration etc... but, the course is usually in really good shape. There are areas that don't drain as well and we usually bi-pass those short areas.

proceed with caution
    that's great news! thanks for the info.

Need more cowbell
    FYI... most important advice is to try to be off the trails by noon (ish). The rain moves in quickly and without warning around here and is accompanied by flying electricity.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    FYI... most important advice is to try to be off the trails by noon (ish). The rain moves in quickly and without warning around here and is accompanied by flying electricity.
    Heading up to ride Los Burros next weekend. Thanks for the heads up!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    Good lord, you weren't kidding!! Those storms come in quick, and hit hard!! We got around to the Los Burros shortcut, and made the wise decision to head back to camp. Then all hell broke loose!!

When do the monsoons end over there, so we can plan a trip back??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    Good lord, you weren't kidding!! Those storms come in quick, and hit hard!! We got around to the Los Burros shortcut, and made the wise decision to head back to camp. Then all hell broke loose!!

When do the monsoons end over there, so we can plan a trip back??
    they'll wind down for good around 9/15... but just keep an eye on the weather forecasts...

That is an amazing corner of the world... it will literally rain more than 30 days in a row during some summers...

Year was 1991 early september... It was my first time in Arizona... I can remember talking to a campground host of the Winn campground near Mt Baldy... he talked about how it just rains every day around 12PM... and it had done that for more than 30 days in a row... I hiked Mt Baldy the next day and barely escaped the lightning and rain around 11AM... OMG that place was so green and full of huge ferns... amazing.. It resembled some of the rainforests I saw in Ecuador and Colombia...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE= OMG that place was so green and full of huge ferns... amazing.. It resembled some of the rainforests I saw in Ecuador and Colombia...[/QUOTE]

Was this during your Carlos Castaneda phase when you were searching for the allusive Ayahuasca plant?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Monsoon: A seasonal change in weather patterns, often associated with precipitation.

Thunderstorm: A weather phenomena that is the result of lifting, frontal activity, monsoon, etc.

You get one monsoon, but many thunderstorms
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Monsoon: A seasonal change in weather patterns, often associated with precipitation.

Thunderstorm: A weather phenomena that is the result of lifting, frontal activity, monsoon, etc.

You get one monsoon, but many thunderstorms
    We got many thunderstorms, during the monsoon. We also got chased by a dog, who thought he could pull the tires off my truck, while the truck was moving!! Oh yeah, and a house fire, right at the turn off on Cady street!! Oh how I iss the res!!!

On a side note, diesel is cheaper in Pinetop, than it is in the Phoenix metro area. Go figure.