DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Whiskey pre-ride

Any reason I shouldn't be able to pre-ride the Whiskey course this weekend? Other events, equestrian infestations, etc.? I imagine the course should look pretty good, no recent snowstorms as far as I know.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Any reason I shouldn't be able to pre-ride the Whiskey course this weekend? Other events, equestrian infestations, etc.? I imagine the course should look pretty good, no recent snowstorms as far as I know.
    I'd imagine there will be a lot of folks preriding this weekend. Re: events, I'm not sure. But I prerode it on Sunday, and course was in great shape. There were a lot of folks out there. If it rains/snows between now and race day, I blame you.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    course is in great condition. Very light rain/snow fell this am, which will keep it preemo tacky. The new jeep trail reroute leading in past Pearlstein is awesome and should help thin the pack better. The wide singletrack past the camp should seperate good climbers, and room for hab's not to impede the stronger climbers. Go get ya some!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Whiskey pre-ride

Sweet. Can you recommend anywhere to camp close to town? I'd probably want to drop into town for some breakfast and start from the start anyway.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member

Whiskey pre-ride

The waffle at Cuppers is pretty good! Coffee not bad either. Enjoy your ride!
    -boom

Carnivore
    There are designated (numbered) camping spots along Copper Basin and Thumb Butte roads not far from town and very near the course. I rode up Copper Basin Rd. this afternoon and saw some open spots and some with tents. You could ride from camp and do the whole route. You wouldn't start at THE start but you could still go through it later in your loop or just roll down the hill and start from the official start. There are a couple of sites within 1/2 mile of where the route crosses Copper Basin Rd. and joins the 48 trail (A.K.A. Aspen Creek Trail or the Water Bar trail.) More sites north of the Sierra Prieta lookout on Thumb Butte Rd. too. The weather will be primo this weekend. The course didn't get much moisture today but all the preriders have burned in some lines through the loose sections. There will definitely be others out there riding but I don't think you will encounter many other users except near Thumb Butte Park and near the beginning of Aspen Cr. Tr.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Re: Whiskey pre-ride

Is the course marked at all yet? I plan to download the gpx to my garmin, but I don't like having to look down at it while riding. It's just the little Edge 500 model, small screen.

Carnivore
    It is not marked yet but maps with trail numbers are available on the Epic Rides site. Also most of it has a pretty obvious line worn into it. One potentil spot you might miss is where you turn off the road after Camp Pearlstein onto the 327 tr. The trail crosses the road right before the road tops out on a saddle.

mtbr member
    What's the place to park your car nearest to the forest trailhead. I would rather avoid the city streets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Prescott hardly has city streets, but if you want to avoid riding through the downtown area you can park off Copper Basin Road. When you first get into downtown, take a left at Montezuma and stay on Montezuma (which will turn into White Spar). Then take a right onto Copper Basin, there will be a Safeway on the right hand side. Drive up Copper Basin to the 4 way stop sign and I would think you can park around there. You will have a big paved road climb straight out of the box if you start here though. The reason people start at the official start point is because a lot of people get dropped on the paved roads and they like to prepare for that.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Sweet. Can you recommend anywhere to camp close to town? I'd probably want to drop into town for some breakfast and start from the start anyway.

White Spar Campground is close to town. Prescott National Forest - White Spar Campground

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    White Spar Campground is close to town. Prescott National Forest - White Spar Campground
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Are they gonna block off the Copper basin Rd. completely or just one lane

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just got buzzed by Georgia Gould. I was riding up Sierra towards the lookout just past the last steep rocky downhill section when I noticed a rider coming down towards me from the overlook moving along pretty good. Knowing there are pros out here riding I just pulled over even though I was climbing but in the opposite direction of the course. He said thanks and informed me that there were two behind him. I saw the first one when I saw him and pulled over. Turns out the2 behind him were two Luna girls. The First Lady I saw I thought was Georgia but when the second girl zipped past me it was her. About 3 feet away. Yeah buddy! The nicest legs I've ever seen in my life!

mtbr member
    Getting really pumped up for the 25 proof.

Despite no pre-ride and never having ridden this course I am still really excited.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Carnivore
    Usually Copper Basin Rd is partially blocked or "effectively" blocked. I know they are going to try to keep vehicles off the section between the aid station and the top but I don't know about the 50 course out to Skull Valley.

JoePAz, The course will be very well marked and there will be a line of people to follow anyway. The first 10 or so miles can be kind of congested and there are some technical sections that will cause many to walk but just settle into the groove and go with the flow. Once you hit the bottom of 260 and start the long climb up 53 to Copper Basin rd. it will spread out fast. When you get to the top of Sierra Prieta it is all fun and rippin' except for Cramp Hill (really not that bad and quite short). Basically all the climbing is over in the first 18 miles so you might as well just hammer to there and enjoy the ride back into town. (total ride is 30 miles and 4000' of climbing)

Now the 50 is an entirely different story...

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's good, you're gonna have a good time then. It's a really fun course. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers playing afterwards is a sweet bonus too. Awesome band to see live.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Now the 50 is an entirely different story...
    do tell