mtbr member

Where's the love?

So going through my phones pics this morning I came to a startling conclusion-I have more pics of my bike than I do of my wife and kids in there! We are talking about 500 snaps and only 50 or so (am I being generous in case she reads this?) of the family! There are pics of my bike dirty, clean, in build stage, on a hill, perched on rocks, in front of sunsets and sunrises and even a couple of terrible night shots. There are even a couple of "selfies" sans fish lips of me while on a ride. My face slackened like that of a junkie who just shot up a spoonful of addict goodness. Even my wife says those shots are her favorite because I look like I have no signs of the daily stress in our lives-just happiness, and maybe some relief.

I thought about my phone cache and felt a little guilty at first. I mean, am I spending too much time with my bike? Lavishing it with a few extra bills that could be spent at home? The bikes have been called "mistress" by my fantastic and lovely significant other, and I am sure it was as a joke. Right? Then I came to my senses. Since I was four, I have loved to ride bikes. Being raised in a moto family and spending nearly 30 years of my life at the racetrack in one capacity or another, I always came back to bicycles. In fact my garage count now? Two bikes and zero moto's. In fact- over the last four years- 9 bikes and zero moto's. Geez I go through bikes fast. That tells me it's not even the bikes I love. It is what they give me.

Bikes give me sanity. They provide a reprieve from everything else in my life. When I am mountain biking- I think of nothing else but riding, the ride, how I can improve my ride or how the ride is killing me. (When I am road biking, I will admit my mind does wander a bit to things like cold beer, fried chicken and 70's custom vans.) On the drive home from the ride, no matter how hard I pushed myself, how dehydrated and spent I am- I can feel the glow surrounding and produced by my body.

That feeling makes me a better man to be loved by and love my family. I am a more productive worker because of it (don't ask my lawn about that please) and certainly a calmer person. When I don't get regular rides, people around me know it. I appreciate what I am and what I have earned in life more when I ride. In short- I guess it is not so bad to dedicate so many photos to the activity that makes everything I live for possible to continue. Thanks bikes!
    Where's the love?-img_0666.jpg
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Post a duckface selfie, plz.

mtbr member

Where's the love?

Careful what you ask for!

Sent from your Moms phone using Tapinthat.

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    That was very well put. Unfortunately for me my mistress (as you put it) had crabs (smoked my bottom bracket) and I need one of them tiny combs (money for new cranks). But was it still worth it? F#%* yes.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    No rides for me and I'm a total prick now. Life has no meaning. I think it's only going to get worse. It's like every one in the classroom has gum except for me! I get what you're saying about sanity. I haven't been "out there" for some time now, and I can feel the extra weight on my poor, poor soul. Losing all your fitness is almost as bad as losing all your hair, but at least I can get the fitness back. And I've got jack squat for new pictures. I can't wait to be riding again.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Try the cream Tyson, and what size/type of BB? Maybe me or another "lover" on this site has a loaner for you?

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Dag- I know the feeling all to well. When I started my own business almost 7 years ago, I stopped racing and my ride time dwindled to almost nothing. My lifestyle became very unhealthy food and party wise and I was a wreck. I decided that I wanted to be home more with my family (and my ladies/bikes) so I rolled up the business, took a new career path. It sucked for the first 8 months- hours were still too long and exhuasting and the first job I found was just that- a job. Riding time only improved a little and mood became even worse. But I stuck with things , and got the career offer of a lifetime. I now have a great occupation, I love what I do, I have benefits (good ones too!) and a company van that holds my stuff and my bike as I run my territory all over Arizona. Looking at Strava, I have done more time on the bike in the last two months than I averaged almost per year for a long time. I am even going to start doing some long races.

Moral of the story is, you have tasted success, and you will again but only if you don't let yourself get too down. And the longer you are away, the sweeter the rides when you come back!

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Try the cream Tyson, and what size/type of BB? Maybe me or another "lover" on this site has a loaner for you?
    It's a truvativ stylo 3 x 9 with 175 crank arms, external bearings. Typical story. Non drive started to loosen, and threads on both arm and spindle decided they didn't want to function anymore. Thankfully 3 x 9 stuff is a bit cheaper now. Unthankfully I get paid in peanuts. Off to the corner on Van Buren....

If anyone has one laying around, I do come equipped with beer and other stuff, and I don't actually have crabs. Also, due to being Canadian, I'm good for a cheap laugh.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Give it a crank
    I think if the bicycle had not yet been invented, I would be losing my mind working on a way to propel a pair of wheel with my feet.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    so after Egypt's president Mohammed Mursi was ousted last week,, the new interim prime minister has already assembled most of his new cabinet.
    that tells you right there that he didnt get it from Ikea

Shovel Ready
    It's quality not quantity that counts.