Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Where would you ride if you had the whole day?

So where would you go to ride if you only had one day (9hours)? Between work, home and 2 small kids I never get more than a couple hours here and there to ride. I'm taking Fri off work (too much pto) and I'm going to make the best of it. I'm thinking Prescott, trail 396?

Where would you go?

Always in the wrong gear
    Black Canyon Trail (any start point), just pack some lunch, water and enough snacks.

If it were warmer weather I'd suggest AZT from Aspen corner. I've been aching to ride OnB to the Schultz Y.
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Only one day? Fromme would be it for me.

Ahhh the pain....
    AZT, South of Picket Post
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Deep into McDowell Mtn Park and Sonoran Preserve/Scottsdale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I really want to try BCT out...is it hardtail friendly?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmtbking View Post
    Yes. You'll really enjoy it regardless if you're on a HT or FS.

Pivotal figure
    A full day on BCT would be nice or you could do some nice loops in Prescott. I've been riding a ~30 mile loop up 305/Smith Ravine/Road up to Spruce Lookout/307 (Groom Creek) Loop and back the same way or even take an optional route over to Turley. There are also some cool loops to make out at McDowell, either coming in from Ftn Hills or the Gateway access trailhead. LOTS of climbing options there.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Give it a crank
    THIS Friday? Check the wx forecast, it's going to be windy. Prescott would be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjcrawlr View Post
    So where would you go to ride if you only had one day (9hours)? Between work, home and 2 small kids I never get more than a couple hours here and there to ride. I'm taking Fri off work (too much pto) and I'm going to make the best of it. I'm thinking Prescott, trail 396?

Where would you go?

BCT is always great. However right now today I would go an Try picketpost. I live near BCT and can even ride it from the house if I want to. For my picketpost is long drive away so that might be nice. Prescott is nice, but with the weather so good here right now...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmtbking View Post
    yes I ride it on HT all the time. There nothing I have not encountered any place on trail that could not be ridden on a hardtail by someone with reasonable skills. That said there might be places you want to walk it depend on you skills, but those are short 20-foot sections at most. BCT near Rock Springs has some exposure in places and there is on spot south of Table Mesa on the descent that I always walk. I tried to clear it last year and feel about 5 feet into some boulders. Not fun at all. The actual spot is not super hard, but if you get it wrong it can hurt. So stuff like that, but no FS needed, but some would enjoy it more on short travel FS bike. Depends on what you like.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr dismember

BTC or Picketpost

Black Canyon Trail out of Black Canyon City and Arizona Trail south from Picketpost can't be beat. Lots of photos, etc. on my bike site. I'm looking forward to doing them again in a few weeks!

mtbr member
    BCT from Rock Springs and down and around Little Pan Loop is a great 26 mile ride! I also second AZT south of Picketpost to the 15 mile overlook and back (unless you do a shuttle from Picketpost to Kelvin).

Ahhh the pain....
    If you like to suffer, go all the way to the Gila then turn around and ride back to Picket Post. Only 40 miles, but a billion feet of climbing. You will have earned a beer.
    or two.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    A full day on BCT would be nice or you could do some nice loops in Prescott. I've been riding a ~30 mile loop up 305/Smith Ravine/Road up to Spruce Lookout/307 (Groom Creek) Loop and back the same way or even take an optional route over to Turley. There are also some cool loops to make out at McDowell, either coming in from Ftn Hills or the Gateway access trailhead. LOTS of climbing options there.
    If I thought I could keep up and last 30 miles I'd ask you to show me around. I'd like to learn more of the trails up there since the Mrs has a cabin out in Highland Pines.

My next LONG ride is gonna be Goat Camp. I'm gonna ride that summabich before next summer if I have to do it myself.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Can't go wrong with the suggestions posted, but here are a few more.

Hawes + Pass Mtn: Full Meal Deal

Gold Canyon: Etch-a-Sketch

Ripsey/Boulders: Lollipop
    OR
    Ripsey: Loop

South Mtn: National + West End Stuff + DC

Picketpost: Do this loop on the northern side, then if you still want more, go south as far as you like then turn around.
    OR
    Go BIG, run to the river via 4x4 jeep road extravaganza!! (May require more than 9hrs!!)

McDowell's: Practice some HAB skillz on this loop, AES prep ride.

Have fun choosing & enjoy your hall pass to the fullest!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    If I thought I could keep up and last 30 miles I'd ask you to show me around. I'd like to learn more of the trails up there since the Mrs has a cabin out in Highland Pines.

My next LONG ride is gonna be Goat Camp. I'm gonna ride that summabich before next summer if I have to do it myself.
    I've done it solo a couple of times. It's not that long, maybe 3 hours. I've heard the DH is even more chunkalicious than usual.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    I just completed the Black Canyon Trail "Whole Enchilada" loop today. This loop begins at Black Canyon City and goes down to Table Mesa and then loops back to Black Canyon City. Its 24.2 miles according to my Strava data from today. I must say, the weather is just perfect right now for this ride. You still need to bring along plenty of water though. I ran into a bull, a snake and a desert tortoise (first time I've seen a desert tortoise). Its probably best to ride with a partner. It seems so isolated at parts, particularly in the Cheapshot section. If you run out of water or get hurt in a crash and you are alone, I imagine things could get very bad, very fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I just completed the Black Canyon Trail "Whole Enchilada" loop today. This loop begins at Black Canyon City and goes down to Table Mesa and then loops back to Black Canyon City. Its 24.2 miles according to my Strava data from today. I must say, the weather is just perfect right now for this ride. You still need to bring along plenty of water though. I ran into a bull, a snake and a desert tortoise (first time I've seen a desert tortoise). Its probably best to ride with a partner. It seems so isolated at parts, particularly in the Cheapshot section. If you run out of water or get hurt in a crash and you are alone, I imagine things could get very bad, very fast.
    Just so happens I was thinking about doing that this Saturday morning. Anybody else interested? Was there any agua in the Agua Fria?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Just so happens I was thinking about doing that this Saturday morning. Anybody else interested? Was there any agua in the Agua Fria?
    There was water at all three water crossings. But, there was a bull at the third water crossing looking straight at me. So, I took a little detour through the bushes. I've never been mauled by a bull before and wasn't sure if he was planning on it, but didn't want to find out. I'm too beat to go again on Saturday. Maybe you can get JoPa, Randy or Ray to head out.

IllumaDucati
    Ha! If I was going to ride for nine hours and could do it anywhere, it would be somewhere in the shade, where there are no rocks. A good example would be Stanley Park in Vancouver.

Sorry!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I will be riding BCT saturday Morning. But I was going to start at Emery Henderson. My plan was to do start at 6am and do the run to table mesa road or maybe to the river. I have to be home by about 10am (wife and kid) so that limits my group ride options. I only have one other night ride under my belt and while I want to ride little plan loop I am not so sure about doing that first stretch in the dark. I will have a dual light set-up. Wide angle on the bars and spot on helmet. If I start at 6am and be home by 10am to 10:15 so that would work.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Since we're talking Black Canyon, I was wondering yesterday, are you guys able to ride through the river portions of the trail? The sand is so deep that I had to get off and walk and these aren't exactly short portions of the trail. If you can ride through that stuff, I'd like to know how.

How much further ???
    Im running some pretty big tires (Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front and rear) and found riding through the sand much easier. During the initial roll on the PPP50 there were quite a few people struggling in the sand and dismounting when I was having relatively no issue. Other than that the only other option is something that riding the AES events have thought me. Just HAB it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

If you dont mind company, I wouldn't mind accompanying. I live there, ride in to the park. But I have only done goat camp downhill section once since I was alone. The climb up is no rockier than normal.

If I could ride one place? South mountain. I barely get to ride there since it's somewhat far and my schedule is tight. Such a fun set if trails. Need to do it more.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast