mtbr member

Where are the best trail in Arizona

Hello I am planning a trip to Arizona on November we will be coming in on November 6 leaving on November 13 so I would like to plan each day carefully. So I would like to have your help a little from local guys that could help find the best trails around there !

Looking forward to see nice reply on this thread !

Meatbomb
    Depends on the type of riding you do... provide a bit more info on what you consider 'best' and I'm sure you will get all the information you need.

Also read the stickies at the top of this section.

mtbr member
    We like,,, fast and flowee but also and above all,,, rocky and technical.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Depends on the type of riding you do... provide a bit more info on what you consider 'best' and I'm sure you will get all the information you need.

Also read the stickies at the top of this section.

EDR
    fast and flowee but also and above all,,, rocky and technical.
    Sounds like a trip down Mt. Lemon in Tucson is in order. Starting at San Pedro around 7400ft and riding down to 2K or so is all ALL DAY adventure. Look up Greenie/Millie epic around here.

For Phoenix chunk Goat Camp in the White Tank Mtns on the west side provide some serious chunk, but it's a 2 mile or so d/h precluded by a 10 or 11 mile climb. The climb is not really that bad, just long...but fun. If you turn around at the 11 mile mark you give up the chunky d/h but you'll have a long, long blast back to where you started.

In Phoenix proper you need to hit up SoMo.....National trail. I'd suggest starting at Pima lot and riding up as far as you want. At least to the Buena Vista parking lot. Turn around and bomb all the way back down, stay on Natty the whole way. Lots of stuff to bang around out there, it's more fun with a local who knows some of the alt lines. There are more technical trails I suppose at SoMo than Natty, but none more fun imo.

mtbr member
    You can't ride all of Arizona. What part are you going to?

mtbr member
    the only thing I know now is that I will be flying in Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    You can't ride all of Arizona. What part are you going to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by demarp
    the only thing I know now is that I will be flying in Phoenix
    Head north to Flagstaff, and work your way down. Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Phoenix, Tucson.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    At that time of year, you can pretty much grab a Az map and play pin the tail on the Trail. As far as trails in the Phx area, My favorite fast and flowee is Black Canyon Trail. For rocky and technical, National trail on South Mountain is a MUST.

Here's a bit of National.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/momentumvideoaz#p/u

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Head north to Flagstaff, and work your way down. Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Phoenix, Tucson.
    I might choose to do less driving and focus on north or south.
    You could easily keep yourself entertained for a week with Flagstaff, Sedona, and Prescott. It would be easy to fill up a week in Phx & Tucson also, or even just Tucson.
    In November, Tucson is great. Chiva falls, Italian trap/Bellota ranch, Star Pass, Elephant Head, Gardner Canyon, Kentucky Camp, Milagrosa, etc.
    Relax, in Tucson, have a different great ride every day with short drives to most of them, get to know the town, great restaurants, architecture, history etc.
    I think that's what I would do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    +1

Hit all the towns. Then, start your plan on how to make AZ your home!

[The following is certainly only my opinion]

Flag
    Flow plus long climbs, but not much chunk (compared to trails below). Nonetheless,
    absolutely beautiful trails. Might be a bit chilly in November.

Sedona
    Chunck plus short, in-your-face climbs. Awesome, red-rock scenery to take your breath
    away. A real play-ground. Should be perfect temps in November.

Prescott
    Flow and beautiful pine forests, but not much chunk (compared to other areas on this list).
    May be a bit chilly.

Phoenix
    Chunk, perfect temps in November, but no canopy of pine forests. Not sure that matters
    to you, but I certainly find beauty in deep, dark trails between giant trees.

Tucson
    Flow and chunk mixed together, with long climbs if you want them, short, in-your-face
    climbs if you want them, cold temps at the top of Mt Lemmon and perfect temps in the
    desert floor (in November). Trails at the top of Lemmon are beautiful, running through pine
    forests, but difficult (technical and aerobic). Butterfly, Crystal Springs, the Control Rd.,
    Turkey Run, Ski Run Rd., Aspen Draw, Bear Wallow, Secret, 1918, Sunset.

The Green Mountain, Bug Spring, Prison Camp, AZ Trail, Miligrosa run down the mountain
    starts in pine forests and ends in desert. Loads of chunk and flow, but gobs of effort - with
    several tough climbs.

Trails down lower, like 50-year, TMP/Robles, Brown Mtn, Pistol Hill, etc. run the whole
    range on the scale of technical and aerobic difficulty. BTW, don't waste your time at
    Fantasy Island. It's far too easy.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.