white mountains

Where is AZ on MTB national trail stats?

US Mountain Bike Trail Stats: The West and States with Mountains Rule | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

(This above link, about a year old.. so take it for what it's worth)

"Miles"?... About middle rung.
    "Lenght"?... Near the top.
    "Epics"?... Low end.
    "Solitude"... Middle again.

Overall?.. I'd say "under" rated.

But that's me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Heading to Crested Butte ...... cool temps and miles of trail ....... Phoenix has an awesome array of trails for a city of 64 bazillion porch monkeys.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Interesting, but rather pointless. Stuff like this cannot properly evaluate the quality of the trails, accessibility, seasonal effects.
    We know that we have good trails here in this state and I personally think we have some of the best mix of factors that makes this great place to live and bike.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Nice to see VT represented on these stats, if you think AZ is under rated VT is substantially more under the radar. KT alone has something like 100 miles of singletrack.

I do agree with the pointless comment. The bottom line for avid mountain bikers is this- can you access a trail regularly close to your work or home? Becuase 90% or more of the riding we do is going to be in the vicinity of work and not an IMBA epic ride or a 50 mile epic bypass ride. Are you happy ripping National 2-4x a week if you live/work nearby there? It's interesting to see this but just to rank a place on miles of singletrack doesn't mean much, how many AM riders would be happy with 450 miles of desert classic type trails to choose from?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    maybe we should have Casey Kasem give us an official weekly tally...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Heading to Crested Butte ...... cool temps and miles of trail ....... Phoenix has an awesome array of trails for a city of 64 bazillion porch monkeys.
    Taking it back?

How much further ???
    IMBA Epic? Couldnt help but immediately think "what the hell does that mean?" Did a little research and apparently you get the IMBA Epic designation by nominating a trail. Apparently even urban trails can get the epic designation. So in a nutshell it really doesnt mean anything.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WM-Rider View Post

Overall?.. I'd say "under" rated.

But that's me...
    Good. Lets keep it that way.
    Remember, Arizona is full of venomous creatures, pointy plants that may jump out at you when you ride by them, no flow rocky switchbacks, no real DH scene, and drug cartels that might kidnap you.

Nothing to see here people, move along.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Good. Lets keep it that way.
    Remember, Arizona is full of venomous creatures, pointy plants that may jump out at you when you ride by them, no flow rocky switchbacks, no real DH scene, and drug cartels that might kidnap you.

Nothing to see here people, move along.
    Dont forget there are no trails for aggressive riders.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Where is AZ on MTB national trail stats?

I never knew porch monkey was a racial slur growing up it meant whiny kids big sorry if I offended anybody

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    I never knew porch monkey was a racial slur growing up it meant whiny kids big sorry if I offended anybody

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    it really depends on who is using the words

Give it a crank
    They don't seem to take year-round weather into account. AZ would be 1 or 2 for sure. The real surprise to me though, is why Utah scores so low.

I have to side with the pointless view of the article. They obviously don't live in AZ.

I'd like to see a graphic of the number of riders riding the trails from their doorstep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    maybe we should have Casey Kasem give us an official weekly tally...

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    They don't seem to take year-round weather into account. AZ would be 1 or 2 for sure. The real surprise to me though, is why Utah scores so low.

I have to side with the pointless view of the article. They obviously don't live in AZ.

I'd like to see a graphic of the number of riders riding the trails from their doorstep.
    I don't think this stat would fare too well for AZ. Year round weather is interesting though... Trying to take that into account for an entire state is hard. You'd probably have to do this one by city, clearly Flag isn't rideable year round and a lot of people wouldn't call Phoenix rideable year round either. Maybe a comfort index or something...

I take more issue with the lack of trail quality, yeah 100 miles of desert classic type trails might work for some people, but if that's all that is around I'm not interested in living there. What's the number of mtb specific built trails or maybe factor in something with ratings for intermediate and advanced access. Then it gets a little more interesting. They could then rank metros by miles of trails within a certain radius of the downtown area and favor in things like year round weather and give a sliding scale or stack rank baed on the miles of trails falling within each rating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    I don't think this stat would fare too well for AZ. Year round weather is interesting though... Trying to take that into account for an entire state is hard. You'd probably have to do this one by city, clearly Flag isn't rideable year round and a lot of people wouldn't call Phoenix rideable year round either. Maybe a comfort index or something...

I take more issue with the lack of trail quality, yeah 100 miles of desert classic type trails might work for some people, but if that's all that is around I'm not interested in living there. What's the number of mtb specific built trails or maybe factor in something with ratings for intermediate and advanced access. Then it gets a little more interesting. They could then rank metros by miles of trails within a certain radius of the downtown area and favor in things like year round weather and give a sliding scale or stack rank baed on the miles of trails falling within each rating.
    I posted this in another forum awhile back:

Disregarding the realities of a job and economics that may make the below irrelevant to any particular individual, to me there are 5 components that help objectify (as much as possible) a truly great mountain biking town:

1. Trail accessibility (rideability from one's house, for example)
    2. Trail content (variety, scenery, trail mileage, "fun-factor")
    3. Ready accessibility to other good mountain bike towns (within 2 hours/3 max)
    4. Climate/COMFORTABLE year-round riding (of the majority of the area's trails, not just it's foothill floor)
    5. Town characteristics and vibe

There are a number of fine mountain bike destinations around, some just spectacular when considering just one or two categories. But a truly great mountain biking town, while perhaps not scoring at the very top in any one area, scores high in all of them, and I think I can count on one hand the number of towns that qualify and most are in the Southwest. Passionate mountain bikers who live in AZ are extremely blessed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    CB trails are unbelievably good. Too bad they're only rideable half the year (if that).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post

Yeah but we are only two hours apart. Year round riding is at the most two hours apart but mostly within 45 minutes apart. I can't think of a better place for mountain biking than Flag/Sedona/Prescott/Pheonix/Tucson. Can you?