mtbr member

wheel/hub suggestion

Riding National over the weekend made me realize my wheels & wtb hubs arenít exactly up to the job.

Straight pull spokes and or any decent reasonable priced 20mm thru axle wheel set. Mavic Deetraks are heavier than I would want to go weight wise.

And not wanting to go over-kill just for the downhills, looking more for best over-all (mountain trail) performance. Pre-built wheel suggestion?

Thx!

mtbr member
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

Low speed, High Drag
    I'm having pretty good luck with a set of Azonic Outlaws. Not to heavy, easy to set up tubeless, and they've taken a couple of pretty good drops (enough to almost bottom my 66) to flat, with out any problems. You can also run a 20mm through axle, or set 'em up with a quick release. I got mine in black, as I'm not to hip on the white accessories yet.

They were cheap too. I paid less than the big online stores for the wheelset alone, shipped to my door.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster
    Riding National over the weekend made me realize my wheels & wtb hubs arenít exactly up to the job.

Straight pull spokes and or any decent reasonable priced 20mm thru axle wheel set. Mavic Deetraks are heavier than I would want to go weight wise.

And not wanting to go over-kill just for the downhills, looking more for best over-all (mountain trail) performance. Pre-built wheel suggestion?

Thx!
    Give the boys at Go-Ride.com a call. I had them build me a spare set of wheels consisting of Mavic 823's with a shimano XT rear hub and a Marzocchi 20mm front for under $400. If the 823 is too much wheel have them use the 819. Either build will be pretty solid. Given my past experience, I won't buy another set of machine pre-built wheels again.

"Yabut"
    Mavic Crossmax XL's are awesome. Light, strong, and bulletproof. You can run them 20mm, or quick release. They are UST (tubeless), but can run tubes if you want. You can get them for disc or rim brakes too. I see them for $450 on-line.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    what is your max budget and what requirement is most important?
    there are some nice options out there but if you're looking in the deetraks price range things get tougher...

mtbr member
    In the <$800 range.

Looks like the Crossmax XL has been discontinued. Go-ride said the SX is the new (similar) replacement but is heavier.

mtbr member
    I have I9's laced to DT TK 7.1 rims. Super stiff and the hub is awesome. They don't weigh 1800 grams, though. Mine weigh 1930 grams. Still worth it, IMO.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Ouch, I am hot!
    In the <$800 range.

Looks like the Crossmax XL has been discontinued. Go-ride said the SX is the new (similar) replacement but is heavier.
    I think the new version is not through axle compatable (I may be wrong as I don't use these). Look around for a new set of the prior model. The people that have the Mavic pre-builts love them to death. Otherwise, I like the Mavic 819's.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    In the <$800 range.

under $800 meeting all your requirements pretty much leaves you with the xl's or sx's (they are the xl replacement and are 20mm). from what i remember reading the weight difference is not much at all as they are basically the same wheelset with a little wider rim than the xl's had.