Paper Street

What's your favorite dry dusty conditions DH tire?

Around my area, I'd never have to ask, but I'm going to be setting some first tracks down some dusty mountains in the Hindu Kush. So I thought between Arizona and Nevada you guys could square me away with some good advice.

Something in the 26x2.5 range.

Thanks!

ZDFG

caninus xerophilous
    You lucky bastage. I was just over there and jonesed for some lift support to get me up to the the various mnt ranges we flew over so I could ride all that sweet and ancient single track, but no dice. I was only able to ride on the FOB, which was way better than no riding at all.

I know some of the PHX pholks like to run Kenda Nevegals and blue grooves. Others I have seen favored are Maxxis Minion DH's, and IRC Kujo's.

Good Luck

"Its All Good"
    I never go past a good old Maxxis Minion as SunDog mentioned above.... They are predictable and trustworthy in my book....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    You lucky bastage. I was just over there and jonesed for some lift support to get me up to the the various mnt ranges we flew over so I could ride all that sweet and ancient single track, but no dice. I was only able to ride on the FOB, which was way better than no riding at all.

I know some of the PHX pholks like to run Kenda Nevegals and blue grooves. Others I have seen favored are Maxxis Minion DH's, and IRC Kujo's.

Good Luck
    Ha-ha, right on, welcome home. Starting year number 6 (2 in Dieraq, and 3 here) shortly, so I'm always looking for entertainment value. I've been working on a trail on the backside of KMTC that drops off the ghars in the distance. Utilizes an old road system into a sheep herders trail. Gotta ride on "Man Love Friday" because it's a heavy weapons range.

I'm naming the trail "10 Million Unmapped Mines"

I bike long tyme.
    Minions for me also. I run DHF's on both the front and rear.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

caninus xerophilous

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by zdfg
    I'm naming the trail "10 Million Unmapped Mines"
    I was tempted to take my leave in Nuristan or some of the other NE provinces and go to town on my Chameleon. But the best I could do was huck bunkers and debris and make some fun DH and climbs on the hills inside the FOB.

I lived in Egypt for 8 years and had virtually unlimited access to the Sinai and Afghanistan reminded me so much of that, frigging wars.

Stay mine free and perhaps live my dream of hucking off a Chinook ramp onto a 3,000 M ghar with kilometers of ancient goat trails.

God Speed.

mtbr member

hutchinson barracuda too

if you can find them, which is not always easy. super tough casing and great dry condition traction.

dirt visionary
    I like the specialized chunder tires. I know alot of guys who run them and love the traction and durability.

sixsixtysix
    Minions, 2.7 DHF in the front, 2.5 DHR in the rear. 60a Duro on both otherwise they get chewed up quickly. I have also had luck with Maxxis Mobster's in the rear as more of a paddle tire, but the stopped making them this year.

My second choice is Maxxis High Rollers, but they are less predictable than the Minion IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Intense 909's

Pivotal figure
    Nevegal up front, Minion on back.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

AKA shitbird
    Another vote for the minions. Been running them tubeless without any trouble too.
    JRA

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Another vote for the minions. Been running them tubeless without any trouble too.

2nd on the tubless, I have been running both my dual ply 2.7/2.5 Minions and my 2.35 single play Minions with the Stans setup and have had 1 flat in the past year.

******ed or Branded??
    Nevegals telonics dh casing. design for strictly for the dry, dusty, loose conditions!!!!!!!!! Read up on them on the Kenda site.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

Paper Street
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate you taking the time to pass on your knowledge! That's a lot of great suggestions.

I might order up a few of each, and test them all out. I'll post a link to the video when I'm done.

Paper Street

Pivotal figure
    Wow! THAT was anything but dry and dusty huh? How'd the tires work out in that mess?
    It looks very steep and rugged, I assume it's also a long ways to the hospital. Looks like it was a cool trip though

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Wow! THAT was anything but dry and dusty huh? How'd the tires work out in that mess?
    It looks very steep and rugged, I assume it's also a long ways to the hospital. Looks like it was a cool trip though
    Yeah, just my dumb luck, winter's hitting full force. I went with the Minion DH's, and they seem to hook up well, but the terrain is pretty evil, and it keeps you guessing. Then the weather has hit pretty hard for the last week, and the dry (extremely untacky-ballbearing like) topsoil turns into a goopy mess. So between mines, Taliban, snow, rain, 100mph winds, angry sheep herders, bone jarring approach roads, etc...it's been interesting to say the least. Definitely an honor to lay down some tire tracks in one of the least likely areas of the planet though.

Oh, and we ran out of Starbucks for our coffee press. So pretty much we're in hell.

Dust

Pivotal figure
    No coffee=MUTINY