Large wheels & one gear

Whats in your bladder?

Out of curiosity, what do you put in your bladder (Camelbak) for riding? I have always used water and have recently been squirting lemon or lime juice in with it. I now feel like I am getting that little extra bonus when I take a drink out on the trail. Amazing what a little citrus flavor can do for the mind.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I was probably sick that day.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

Meatpuppet
    strictly water....
    Electrolyte replacement/carb drinks in the cages.

I used to run cytomax in my camelback, but even way diluted on long rides I found I wouldn't drink enough because of the sweetness. Exhertion heightens the taste of sweet.
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

mtbr member
    Bacardi 151 and Coke

Cytomax and water. I'm thinking of going to straight water. Anyone know if the drink stuff like cytomax helps?

skin tight lycra
    Cytomax works really well for short rides. After 2 hours (especially on hot days) its no good.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Same here as dirtrodr....water ONLY! I like to bring bottles of the other stuff on long rides but usually anything other than water kills my stomach.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Tdub
    I throw in some Zip Fiz or what amounts to the sugar free Propel mix. Both contain electolytes but no carbs and Zero calories in both. Diluted 3:1 over their recommended. Far from sweet, but just a change from straight water.
    [SIZE="3"]"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    water and probably a new species of bacteria since i never get a chance to wash the damn thing. when i start to crap purple ill wash it(dont ask me for a drink) just kidding. anything else but water is a biotch to remove.

mtbr member

Just Water

I learned my lesson several years ago when I did a race out at Estrella. I put watered down Cytomax in my bladder thinking that because it was watered down, it would still satisfy my thirst. After the first lap my mouth was dry and I was desperate for plain water.... not fun.

By the way, have you ever smelled Cytomax when it goes bad? Yikes . I'm really lazy about cleaning out my bladder - that could get really gross.

Death? Taxes? So ride!
    I cut gatorade 50/50 with water, but I think it's more for the taste than I think it has any other benefits. Water gets pretty horrid after a couple hours.

-Steve

I am Walt
    water only, Gu02 electrolyte drink in the cage for long rides
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Water.......

Waltaz,
    "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning..... "

Freaking classic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqdBkaWsTA

CEB
    No horse'n round

Water......

Depending on the outside temps, I usually throw in some ICE CUBES or ICE CHIPS but not too much, water TOO cold is hard to absorb. Try slightly warm water on a chilly day!

How's THAT for clever!

......... Moosehead: Never in the camelback but does find it's way to my bladder

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Water and Cytomax... Ice too! :-)
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

water

Only water, although I will add some Elite during the summer for some added anti-cramping electrolites. It adds no taste whatsoever, but I do like the idea of adding a little spritz of lemon. I like to use Heed in my bottles, it seems to work well for me, even on longer/hotter rides and is not too sweet.
    On a side note, one time a riding buddy came along on a five hour summer ride with two bottles and a small camelback. When he ended up running out of water early on in the ride we were confused. Turns out he liked to use the camelback to carry tools and tubes, but didn't have any water in it(too heavy)! After that we started calling him "Water Boy"!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dihydrogen oxide
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    Out of curiosity, what do you put in your bladder (Camelbak) for riding? I have always used water and have recently been squirting lemon or lime juice in with it. I now feel like I am getting that little extra bonus when I take a drink out on the trail. Amazing what a little citrus flavor can do for the mind.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I was probably sick that day.
    Just water. In the summer I'll bring along a second bladder with ice and water -- I've drunk as much as 5 liters on a ride but haven't yet emptied both bladders.

If I need electrolyte replacement I'll bring along a can or two of V8 for the Potassium and Sodium. For food I eat Cliff Bars, ordinary breakfast granola bars, and sometimes candy.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    For food I usually carry Gu, Gummy Bears & trail mix. I also carry a baggy of e-Caps. Oh and a roll of singles in case we hit up a gentleman's club post-ride.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    For food I usually carry Gu, Gummy Bears & trail mix. I also carry a baggy of e-Caps. Oh and a roll of singles in case we hit up a gentleman's club post-ride.
    Gummy Bears pulled me out of a colossal bonk at the last Soul Ride! Hooray Gummys! For the nudie bar I just use one single with a string tied to it, Al Bundy style!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Water in the camelback, heed + sust energy in the bottle.
    HOT TAMALES are a great mid ride pick me up!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.