mtbr member

What's the scoop on Grand Junction Off-Road Race?

Has anyone ridden the trails up there?
    How does that compare in difficulty with Whiskey, TOWM or our trails around Phoenix?
    I want to sign up wife for the 30, but probably won't if it's too technical.

mtbr member
    I think this is the first year of the event. Closer to home and about the same time in Fire on the Rim in Pine/Strawberry.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

scarred
    It is the first year for the event and the trails are more technical than the buff singletrack of the Whiskey. But they aren't insane. It will be a great challenge and an amazing course that really highlights modern mountain biking. Of course it will be done with all the fun and festivity of the Whiskey. Lots of amazing singletrack. Some challenging doubletrack. A free concert right downtown, fat tire crit racing for the pros, kids rides and so much more.

There will be lots more info released about the course coming shortly. I think it will help you get a feel for what the ride will be like. That and the pre-ride weekend coming up May 18-19. Come visit the Grand Valley!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandvalleydave View Post
    It is the first year for the event and the trails are more technical than the buff singletrack of the Whiskey. But they aren't insane. It will be a great challenge and an amazing course that really highlights modern mountain biking. Of course it will be done with all the fun and festivity of the Whiskey. Lots of amazing singletrack. Some challenging doubletrack. A free concert right downtown, fat tire crit racing for the pros, kids rides and so much more.

There will be lots more info released about the course coming shortly. I think it will help you get a feel for what the ride will be like. That and the pre-ride weekend coming up May 18-19. Come visit the Grand Valley!
    cool, so full suspension preferred over hardtail?

mtbr member
    So, people didn't sound too enthusiastic about the barn burner. Should I save my money and do this race instead?

mtbr member

What's the scoop on Grand Junction Off-Road Race?

If they are modeling after the Whiskey Off Road, then I would do this over the Barn Burner.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I haven't done the barn burner but from what everyone told me of it Grand Junction would be a hell of a lot better. I am on the fence about doing it, I just have to make sure I can get the time off work and find somewhere to stay cheap.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    So, people didn't sound too enthusiastic about the barn burner. Should I save my money and do this race instead?
    Epic Rides are Epic

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    It sounds like you have the info needed for this. I have a couple questions I hope you can answer
    1) I am guessing you done the Whiskey course? If so how does it compare to the Grand Junction? More or less forest roads? Steeper and longer climbing?
    2) I race the Whiskey in a 32x20t 9r, do you think it would be harder or easer overall and what gearing do your local SS riders do it in? (Ride compared to race pace.)
    3) What is the best hotel (cost wise) nearest the event I should check out or is there good camping nearby (easy riding distance)?

I am sure others have more questions but these are my biggest concerns
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan