banned

What's Going on on Anaconda??

Today my wife and I went on my celebratory first day back ride in Sedona with another friend. Cakewalk would have ridden with us but he hurt his leg trying some big rock move on Christmas Wash.

I wanted to ride the new Gunslinger reroute to see what work Justin had done out there. Low and behold when we got to the parking spot there were two FS trucks parked at the To Girdner Trail and Boyonton Pass Rd (Dry Creek Rd.).

At that point I decided to change the ride to do Anaconda rather then Chuck Wagon. Three years ago Jennifer had asked me to take her friend Doug McPhee for a hike on /anaconda to check out the sustainability of the trail for adoption. Doug is a retired hydrologist for the FS and he is a MOUNTAIN BIKER. He is a good guy and when I walked Anaconda with him he had very little issues with the sustainability of the trail.

Well since I originally walked the trail three years ago with Doug, I have been curious if it is ever going to get adopted. Originally Jennifer told me there were other higher priorities then several months ago she said the trail had archeological issues. Now today I get to meet Mr. Bill Stafford, Justin and April on the trail at the high point.

This is cool, I have never met Mr. Stafford, but I know he is the retired head of the Red Rock Ranger District. Bill is Jennifer's go to person to get archeological studies done on the user-built trails and new trail alignments. Bill is retired and he is qualified to do studies for a fraction of the cost she would have to pay her own employees, so it a good deal all around.

I have been wanting to meet Bill for years and on my first day back on Forest Service land I get to meet him. I tell you this guy is really cool, when I introduced myself as they guy who got kicked out of the FS for six months he didn't even yell at me. We even talked about some of our favorite hiking trails. He and I both like Taylor Cabin and Sycamore Canyon.

Anyway also helping Bill was April from the Flagstaff office. April is the archeologist from the Flagstaff office and apparently Anaconda was a good project for her to come down and work with Bill and Justin to finish up the paper work to get the trail adopted.

I was a little nervous when I asked Bill the magic question, did you encounter a lot of archeological sites where you need re-routes. Bill indicated no and that was magic to my ears. Well I was so happy I asked if I could take the picture of the three of them?

I wish I could have gotten the expression on April's face. She looked at Bill and Justin and seemed very confused. Would it be OK to have the traildoc take a picture of the three FS people who were out helping get Anaconda adopted??

Of course Bill and Justin just said sure no problem, so here is the great shot I got of them that I will cherish forever. After three years Justin told me it pretty official Anaconda is getting adopted . What a great first day back in Sedona.

Justin said even though Anaconda wasn't listed below Snake on the carsonite it was getting adopted. You believe how cool it was to get the final OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's Going on on Anaconda??-stafford.jpg  

What's Going on on Anaconda??-girdner-snake.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 12-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    TD, good to see back stirring up trouble. Your banishment seemed like the best time ever. "You are hereby sentenced to load up your motorcasa and travel across the west with your sweetie and to drink good beer, ride in all the cool spots and hang out with friends for six months". It must have been tough! Sorry when you came out my way I was so preoccupied with the Classic and my trip to Colorado. Only way I can figure to make it up to you is to come visit you and your lovely wife again. Haha. Welcome back. Thanks for improving the Sedona user experience!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    TD, good to see back stirring up trouble. Your banishment seemed like the best time ever. "You are hereby sentenced to load up your motorcasa and travel across the west with your sweetie and to drink good beer, ride in all the cool spots and hang out with friends for six months". It must have been tough! Sorry when you came out my way I was so preoccupied with the Classic and my trip to Colorado. Only way I can figure to make it up to you is to come visit you and your lovely wife again. Haha. Welcome back. Thanks for improving the Sedona user experience!
    ronski:

Thanks for your support. I am sure you are loving the riding in your neck of the woods this time of year. We enjoyed riding you new $1,000,000 dollar trail and look forward to the other new ones you are building.

You are invited to stay at our place (if someone isn't already here) or staying at our spa if that works better for you. It is amazing how the social network of people passionate about our sport makes for good friends who only may have riding and drinking in common .

banned

I Cleaned Snake

Yesterday I went for my SECOND ride in Sedona and hooked up with DAVE from Crested Butte. Dave said he started riding mountain bikes in the early 80's and was in Crested Butte when Stumpjumper #45 (49?) was delivered to the small bike shop in town.

Anyway we finished our ride climbing up Snake and I was the only one in the group to clean the climb. When ever I get lucky to make a climb like that I think that was so cool.

After making the climb and reaching the bottom of Anaconda I told Dave about how both Snake and Anaconda had just gotten adopted and how nicely the process is moving along now.

It will be interesting what intersection signage the FS comes up with and whether a potential map faces north?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's Going on on Anaconda??-anaconda-girdner-int-map.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 12-07-2012 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rode Anaconda and Snake for the first time today. Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Great climb (from AZ Cypress) not too steep and all doable. TD nice job on cleaning snake.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Rode Anaconda and Snake for the first time today. Had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Great climb (from AZ Cypress) not too steep and all doable. TD nice job on cleaning snake.
    995:

Thanks for the report on Anaconda. It is a great intermediate climb out from finishing off the Dry Creek trails, if you don't want that short challenging climb up Snake. It will be interesting how much of Anaconda needs to be rerouted. Bill wasn't very specific and when we rode it we didn't see any of the usual flagging tape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    995:

Thanks for the report on Anaconda. It is a great intermediate climb out from finishing off the Dry Creek trails, if you don't want that short challenging climb up Snake. It will be interesting how much of Anaconda needs to be rerouted. Bill wasn't very specific and when we rode it we didn't see any of the usual flagging tape.
    There is a 250 ft section that is straight and boring and will be replaced with a reroute 2-3 times the length. Not sure exactly what the site was but it seems to have been a dwelling with some pottery and obsidian.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justinwp View Post
    There is a 250 ft section that is straight and boring and will be replaced with a reroute 2-3 times the length. Not sure exactly what the site was but it seems to have been a dwelling with some pottery and obsidian.
    Justin:

Thanks for that update. I think I know the area you are talking about is pretty flat, so I am assuming the re-route should maybe take 6 man-hours to complete. Does that sound about right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for that update. I think I know the area you are talking about is pretty flat, so I am assuming the re-route should maybe take 6 man-hours to complete. Does that sound about right?
    more like 30 minutes
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justinwp View Post
    more like 30 minutes
    Justin:

I agree 30 minutes actual work on the re-route and it will be interesting what time you spend on the old route.

Please tell me you just sat and watched the Cow Pies re-route project. How many man-hours do you think it will take to complete that climbing right hand turn to make it rideable? Are you going to be able to ride it when it's done?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I cleaned Snake for the first time today. Thanks for the re-route! There are a few other climbs I cant clean, can those be re-routed too? I can send a list.