mtbr member
    Nov 2008

What's the deal with MBAA races???

Just looking into the races from MBAA in 2009. Anybody know what the beginner course is like, how to register etc. Just kinda new to the sport and need some help.

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey man, welcome to the sport! The main thing is to have fun. Don't be discouraged, b/c even the beginner classes at those MBAA races will have smoking fast riders... as a wise racer once told me, "beginner racer doesn't mean beginner rider!" As for the details on how to register, course info, etc, just check out the MBAA website at www.mbaa.net, and it'll give you all the info. The local races (in Phoenix) are McDowell, White Tanks, and Estrella. The easiest course, for the beginner class, would be White Tanks, then McDowell, then Estrella (my 2-cents). I'd figure out what race you're going to do, how many laps it is for beginners, then pre-ride it as much as possible so you know what you're capable of on race day. And be careful not to go out too fast... your adrenaline will be pumping and it's really easy to blow yourself up in the first 10 minutes! Send me a message if you want to, I'd love to share what little I know... good luck man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by csandersen1
    Hey man, welcome to the sport! The main thing is to have fun. Don't be discouraged, b/c even the beginner classes at those MBAA races will have smoking fast riders... as a wise racer once told me, "beginner racer doesn't mean beginner rider!" As for the details on how to register, course info, etc, just check out the MBAA website at www.mbaa.net, and it'll give you all the info. The local races (in Phoenix) are McDowell, White Tanks, and Estrella. The easiest course, for the beginner class, would be White Tanks, then McDowell, then Estrella (my 2-cents). I'd figure out what race you're going to do, how many laps it is for beginners, then pre-ride it as much as possible so you know what you're capable of on race day. And be careful not to go out too fast... your adrenaline will be pumping and it's really easy to blow yourself up in the first 10 minutes! Send me a message if you want to, I'd love to share what little I know... good luck man.
    no it means sandbagging cherry picker

mx

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Man, you're so right... I wasn't going to say anything about the sandbaggers, but since you brought it up... Seriously, guys (you beginnner-class sandbaggers know who you are), leave the beginner class for the beginners, man-up and get in the sport class where you belong. I remember how discouraging it was for me when I entered my first mountain bike race and got SMOKED in the beginner class. I'm a middle-of-the pack sport class guy now, and I probably still couldn't win a beginner class race b/c of the sandbaggers. Think about it, guys... it's not good for our sport when new riders show up for a race, get blown out in what is supposed to be a "beginner" class, and never return. I've met countless guys out on the trails who've had that experience. Personally, I think MBAA should make it mandatory to move up to sport after you've completed a season's worth of races in the beginner class (regardless of your results). Once you've raced 5-7 times, you're no longer a beginner... move up to sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by csandersen1
    Man, you're so right... I wasn't going to say anything about the sandbaggers, but since you brought it up... Seriously, guys (you beginnner-class sandbaggers know who you are), leave the beginner class for the beginners, man-up and get in the sport class where you belong. I remember how discouraging it was for me when I entered my first mountain bike race and got SMOKED in the beginner class. I'm a middle-of-the pack sport class guy now, and I probably still couldn't win a beginner class race b/c of the sandbaggers. Think about it, guys... it's not good for our sport when new riders show up for a race, get blown out in what is supposed to be a "beginner" class, and never return. I've met countless guys out on the trails who've had that experience. Personally, I think MBAA should make it mandatory to move up to sport after you've completed a season's worth of races in the beginner class (regardless of your results). Once you've raced 5-7 times, you're no longer a beginner... move up to sport.
    well said

mx

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I did the series a couple of years ago. I too was amazed to see how far back I finished in my first race. I had always considered myself an ok rider but was certainly not ready for sport distances. It did a good job of crushing my ego and challenging me to try and get on the podium. The 2nd year I did it I actually started to train for it and after starting to ride 50-75 miles a wee offroad and getting into the best shape of my life I was able to squeek out a couple of 3rds at races that didn't have many people show up. By the time I was able to get to that point I felt like I was sandbaggin.

As long as you go to have a good time and enjoy a challenge you will be fine. Don't expect to see much of the baggers as they will be gone at the starting line. You can possibly catch them accepting their medals. I think we need to get the sport riders to start harrasing the baggers to try and get them to move up. Maybe make it a tradition to throw empty paper bags at them as they accept their medals...... We all know who they are as well as they do.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    FYI, there is now a rule that forces the sandbaggers to move up after 5 podiums. Not 5 in one year but 5 overall. They will have to sprint around the course and wait at the finish for 5 riders to pass to stay beginner/sport now. They are being forced to move up to Sport/Expert.

Edit: I raced beginner one full year and actually got some ok mid-pack better than mid-pack results. I am a mid-pack sport rider normally but did well out at Estrella this year.

In the rear with the beer
    I raced in the beginner class least year. Finished 10 out of 10 in the final points standing in my age group (so I"m gonna stay in beginner this year). You should check out the local courses and you'll have a good sense of what they are like, then just plan on going around them twice real fast. The beginner group gets pretty spread along the course pretty quickly, so there isn't much shoulder to shoulder riding. Frankly, my biggest challenges were when the 40-49 and 50-59 sandbaggers would come blowing by (they start just a couple minutes behind) and try to push me off the trail.
    Overall, any intermediate rider should have no problem at all with any of the technical stuff on the beginner courses, and as mentioned, the speeds range tremendously b/t the sandbaggers and the true beginners, so its worth giving the races a try and see how you like it.
    I was gonna race again this year and see how i was doing and consider moving up to sport if i felt good after the 1st couple races. But I think i've decided to focus more on endurance riding. I'd rather go mid-speed for a long time than go real fast for a short time. Personal choice, otherwise I would be out there again. If anything, its a reason to get on your bike on a saturday morning and try different trails throughout the state.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Ridin bikes is fun
    My race history is as follows. I raced beginner last season, my first race ever was the first race of the MBAA season at the McDowell’s last January. I was 15 of 30 in my age group and I had to fix a flat at about mile 7 of a 10 mile race. For the rest of the season I finished in the top 10, I had 2 5th place finishes. For the season I was 4th over all because I raced every race and I showed up with my equipment ready to go, I went tubeless after the first race, and never had a flat the rest of the season. The best race was in Prescott where I was running 3rd until the final mile when I crashed on a fast sandy turn, it was the only crash for the entire season, and it took me a minute to shake it off, I was passed by two guys in my age group, I was 5th in that one.

Racing to me is what mountain biking is all about. It’s not that I’m that competitive, but that I love getting out there and pushing myself to my limits. When I have a race coming up, I will ride to train, and I feel myself getting stronger. I got into mountain biking and cycling in general as a means of fitness and when I’m training for a race that is what I’m in it for. I get from racing the benefit of fitness and the fun of a rollercoaster. I do ride for fun a lot, but racing gives me a reason to ride when I would otherwise want to sit on the couch and take it easy.

I will race the 09 MBAA season in sport class, by their rules I could race beginner again this year, but I need to push myself more. And Sport is where that will happen. I hope to be somewhere above the mid pack, and hopefully crack the top ten once or twice, but I know I’ll have fun no matter what.
    As a matter of fact I’m going to get on the road bike as soon as I’m done here and do a 40 mile loop around east Mesa. So if you’re thinking about racing this season you have about 7 weeks to start training. If you do some dedicated training rides starting now, you will do fine in the beginner class.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    I did the series a couple of years ago. I too was amazed to see how far back I finished in my first race. I had always considered myself an ok rider but was certainly not ready for sport distances. It did a good job of crushing my ego and challenging me to try and get on the podium. The 2nd year I did it I actually started to train for it and after starting to ride 50-75 miles a wee offroad and getting into the best shape of my life I was able to squeek out a couple of 3rds at races that didn't have many people show up. By the time I was able to get to that point I felt like I was sandbaggin.
    you got 3rd s in the Sport class? great job! which age group? i skipped beginner and went to Sport 30-39 and was finally able to get a 10th in prescott

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    FYI, there is now a rule that forces the sandbaggers to move up after 5 podiums. Not 5 in one year but 5 overall. They will have to sprint around the course and wait at the finish for 5 riders to pass to stay beginner/sport now. They are being forced to move up to Sport/Expert.
    was this in place this past year? or a brand new rule?

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I raced in the beginner class least year. Finished 10 out of 10 in the final points standing in my age group (so I"m gonna stay in beginner this year). You should check out the local courses and you'll have a good sense of what they are like, then just plan on going around them twice real fast. The beginner group gets pretty spread along the course pretty quickly, so there isn't much shoulder to shoulder riding. Frankly, my biggest challenges were when the 40-49 and 50-59 sandbaggers would come blowing by (they start just a couple minutes behind) and try to push me off the trail.
    Overall, any intermediate rider should have no problem at all with any of the technical stuff on the beginner courses, and as mentioned, the speeds range tremendously b/t the sandbaggers and the true beginners, so its worth giving the races a try and see how you like it.
    I was gonna race again this year and see how i was doing and consider moving up to sport if i felt good after the 1st couple races.
    But I think i've decided to focus more on endurance riding. I'd rather go mid-speed for a long time than go real fast for a short time. Personal choice, otherwise I would be out there again. If anything, its a reason to get on your bike on a saturday morning and try different trails throughout the state.
    fury was fun, wasn't it? i guess we missed old pueblo. i am not too happy about it filling up before halloween!

don't forget the pemberton "12" hrs and also looks like there is another 12 hr event at papago? park on an 8 mi loop in january. i was shocked to see this one, i hadn't heard anything about it. they should maybe advertise it better.

i love these long ones too. i think i will have a much better showing for my future 24's solo. the fury was my first. learned a lot. i want to try to do moab next time. the guy who won fury only got like 13th at moab!

good luck at your future endurance events!

mx

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav

I will race the 09 MBAA season in sport class, by their rules I could race beginner again this year, but I need to push myself more. And Sport is where that will happen. I hope to be somewhere above the mid pack, and hopefully crack the top ten once or twice, but I know I’ll have fun no matter what.
    As a matter of fact I’m going to get on the road bike as soon as I’m done here and do a 40 mile loop around east Mesa. So if you’re thinking about racing this season you have about 7 weeks to start training. If you do some dedicated training rides starting now, you will do fine in the beginner class.
    you should be top 10 no problem! i hope i don't have to go against you

30 to 39 sport??

mx

Ridin bikes is fun
    you should be top 10 no problem! i hope i don't have to go against you
    I’m glad you have so much confidence in my abilities, but sport class is very competitive. I know I’m capable of making the top ten, but I have to do the training first. I did get in a good 41 mile ride this afternoon; if I keep to my schedule I’ll be fine. I’m in the 40-49 age group and I’m on the older side of that, so I need work at it to get it done.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I’m glad you have so much confidence in my abilities, but sport class is very competitive. I know I’m capable of making the top ten, but I have to do the training first. I did get in a good 41 mile ride this afternoon; if I keep to my schedule I’ll be fine. I’m in the 40-49 age group and I’m on the older side of that, so I need work at it to get it done.

good, you're not in my class! however, i have some friends in yours!

good luck to you in the coming season

mx

double post...
    Salvation Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    fury was fun, wasn't it? i guess we missed old pueblo. i am not too happy about it filling up before halloween!

don't forget the pemberton "12" hrs and also looks like there is another 12 hr event at papago? park on an 8 mi loop in january. i was shocked to see this one, i hadn't heard anything about it. they should maybe advertise it better.

i love these long ones too. i think i will have a much better showing for my future 24's solo. the fury was my first. learned a lot. i want to try to do moab next time. the guy who won fury only got like 13th at moab!

good luck at your future endurance events!

mx
    Right on. I was gonna do the pemberton dawn to dusk, but i'm actually gonna be working at one of the vendors all day instead. I may sign up for the pemberton one...but right now i'm not in the best shape. Up 20lbs since leadville in august.....rode el tour that past weekend and pretty much just felt like a fat guy on a bike...which i am so it kinda made sense.
    Rumor has it there may be a 100 miler in june in Flag. I'm trying to get more info on it.
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Right on. I was gonna do the pemberton dawn to dusk, but i'm actually gonna be working at one of the vendors all day instead. I may sign up for the pemberton one...but right now i'm not in the best shape. Up 20lbs since leadville in august.....rode el tour that past weekend and pretty much just felt like a fat guy on a bike...which i am so it kinda made sense.
    Rumor has it there may be a 100 miler in june in Flag. I'm trying to get more info on it.
    ohhh, please keep us informed with a separate thread or pm me.

do you mean off road or on road?

mx

Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    ohhh, please keep us informed with a separate thread or pm me.

do you mean off road or on road?

mx

On the dirt. The website for the promoter says not 100% confirmed. I'm trying to learn more. Hopefully they advertise when its confirmed. I'll keep folks posted if I learn anything.
    Salvation Outdoor