Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    workin' it Administrator

No good What's the deal with drivers?

I was commuting home yesterday and this motorcycle...that's right a motorcycle....pulls a taxi stop through this stop sign right in front of me. I hit the brakes and brake slide right along side as she just swerves a bit to get out of my way.

If it wasn't for my keen mountain bike handling skills I would have t-boned her and it would be another story.

Then not a few blocks later I am at a bike crossing waiting for the light. It goes green and I head across and a person in a car starts heckling me. Rudely. It takes a few pedal strokes to register that I was being slighted so I turned around to go back but the light went green and they took off rapidly yelling things out the window.

I mean what's up with that. So much hate for a Tuesday.

Anyway just ranting really, but the motorcycle thing freaked me out. Usually I never even flinch when I see one because they are like us. Always in danger out there and they always seem to be aware and cautious. I see obituary for this dame in the near future though. If she couldn't see me with a blinky light, red jersey and big courier bag......
    Try this: HTFU

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I tried bussing to work then commuting home once. I had a blast, was in amazing shape, and always had a positive attitude. That said, I experienced that same things. I bought a timbuk 2 with yellow, green, and red colors so it's easily seen. I tried to listen for reving engines, always slowed through intersections and tried to make eye contact with left turn drivers, and always kept my head up.

I lasted a month before my job got displeased. They liked that I got into work at 7:30am but hated me having to leave with enough light to make it home. I quit that job but the new one in Scottsdale is 32 miles from home and has no close bus lines. I would love a job I could bike to, get decent pay, and live reasonably close plus it would give me an excuse to get a crosscheck. I envy bicycle commuters.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I lasted a month before my job got displeased. They liked that I got into work at 7:30am but hated me having to leave with enough light to make it home.
    why not get lights for your bike?

i commuted in today thru the exciting world of construction in downtown phx.
    almost got waxed by a lady making an illegal turn. some days i flip out. some days i just shake my head and sigh. more of the latter these days.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

workin' it Administrator
    Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention that this occured at around 5:20pm. Before the dusk even. Quite bright out. I run the blinky all the time and run a Niterider HID for dusk and into the night.

I actually got hit twice in 1 month last year. Both illegal shortcutting which is when someone waiting at a light cuts a parking lot or neighborhood to bypass the light. We have all done it just they both did it through me.

I only shake my head and sigh now. To much hate in the world as it is.

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I never even flinch when I see one because they are like us. Always in danger out there and they always seem to be aware and cautious.

That's odd, about 30 percent of the motorcycles I see are zipping between me and another car at about 85 mph (no lane in between). Not very cautious it seems, although I might just be taking note of these bad riders because these events stand out so much.

Elitest thrill junkie

Then not a few blocks later I am at a bike crossing waiting for the light.
    We have bike crossings?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

workin' it Administrator
    Well in Tucson there are a few on the 3rd st bike path. Little bike size lanes and our own grown up stop lights too. Makes us happy and the are actually safer, as long as the cars actually stop for the red light, which seeing as many don't at regular intersections I wait until all cars actually stop before proceeding into the intersection.

Better safe than dead I always say. Can't fix dead.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well in Tucson there are a few on the 3rd st bike path. Little bike size lanes and our own grown up stop lights too. Makes us happy and the are actually safer, as long as the cars actually stop for the red light, which seeing as many don't at regular intersections I wait until all cars actually stop before proceeding into the intersection.

Better safe than dead I always say. Can't fix dead.
    Cool. I've just never seen anything like that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

workin' it Administrator
    Check 'em out at Country Club and 3rd St and Alvernon and 3rd St to name but two. Quite a nice system. If only we could get more of them and they could resond more quickly to your presence but I ain't complaining 'cause I used to ride the same commute years ago with no controlled crossings and it was sketchy, always sketchy.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Cool. I've just never seen anything like that.
    it's a euro style that lets car traffic out of an area but not in.
    but does let bikes and pedestrains in and across. pretty cool really.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Scott in Tucson
    Then not a few blocks later I am at a bike crossing waiting for the light. It goes green and I head across and a person in a car starts heckling me. Rudely. It takes a few pedal strokes to register that I was being slighted so I turned around to go back but the light went green and they took off rapidly yelling things out the window.
    Wow, I've never been heckled on the official bike crossings (I use the 3rd street ones all the time). But I also frequent the Treat pedestrian crossings, and every now and again someone will express their displeasure at having to stop 10 seconds for a bike.

I guess it's somewhat dubious whether it's OK to use the ped crossing (there is no normal light and speedway is 6 lanes) on a bike. But if the choices are "safe" and "legal", I'll take safe. I've used them, riding right in front of motorcycle cops and never had them say anything. I suppose I could be walking my bike across, but do you think the hecklers would appreciate waiting even longer?!

I mean what's up with that. So much hate for a Tuesday.
    Sorry about the close call. Those never feel good. I like to think it's relatively safe cruising around the side streets of Tucson, but all it takes is one moron.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member

That Sucks.

I had a road bike last summer. Sold it after about 5 rides. I was almost taken out twice. I would love to bike to work, and I love the speed of the road bike. It'd just suck to get killed by some asshat who is in a hurry and on the phone. I get enraged when I see some idiot on the phone while driving, not paying a bit of attention. I could go postal on them in a second.

Lately, Yuri's pics of the cross bikes have me wanting one of those cheapie Bianchi singlespeeds. Maybe I could haul some butt on the dirt roads along the canals.

mtbr member
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a Bianchi Volpe (SS CX) soon. I'm currently riding my Lemond roadie, but the fact that I can't take it on parts of the canal is a pain sometimes.

I've been commuting for years, on and off. I've had so many close calls, I can't even count. Even got hit last year, pretty serious (had to be taken away in an ambulance). I always keep the thought in that back of my head that my number could be called any second when I'm out there...it keeps me from becoming complacent.

Yeah, sure, I flip out sometimes, but most of the time I just shake my head and continue on. Not much else you can do. But I won't let it keep me off the road.

I assume everyone out there is a terrible, angry driver - that keeps me safe as 99% of the time I can predict what they are going to do. When I got hit, I just assumed the guy saw me...never again will I do that.

Stay safe out there everyone.

workin' it Administrator
    I find after many close calls and two direct hits that there is nothing that you can do except be safe. Getting upset at those whose phone call is more important than someone's/your life does nothing but put a damper on your ride and angry in your soul.

I try..oh how I try....to be cool and collected when out there. I prefer to take the back road bike paths and only ride major streets with the bus lane/bike lane things (more room for evasive maneuvers), but some days I just need to vent, thank dog for MTBR forums.

workin' it Administrator
    I commute on a Bianchi Cross Project USA bike with 37c cheap commuting tires. Panaracer UrbanMax. real cheap. The combination of the brakes and the tires are very mountain bike-y but the bike rides like a road bike and the handlebar allows so many hand positions. I highly recommend a CX bike for commuting. highly.

Good for when you have to ride over bricks, curbs, logs, and car parts and great when you have to stop NOW.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a Bianchi Volpe (SS CX) soon. I'm currently riding my Lemond roadie, but the fact that I can't take it on parts of the canal is a pain sometimes.
    i love commuting on my volpe and i can go ride for 4-5 hours on the canals tonight after work. the san jose is ss and i know two folks who ride and love em. i may abandon my specialized commuter and throw a rack and panniers on the volpe for the summer. gonna be too warm for the messenger bag soon.

NardoSS
    Funny ass story here...

I was heckeled coming back out of Bartlet lake on my road bike by someone on a motorcycle. Not so uncommon, but it gets better. The person heckling was the passenger on the motorcycle. Better yet, the person that called me a "***" was the guy rubbing his crotch against the other guy's ass that was doing the steering. Now, I'm a "***" for cycling down to Bartlet lake, but he's cool for going on a Sunday motorcycle ride pressed up against another man. Oh yeah, it was some beaten down rocket from the late 80s. Way cool.

It was one of those, "did this just happen" kind of experiences. Two guys one one motorcycle after spending time at the lake is by far more gay than me wearing lycra on a bicycle.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I really want to start commuting to work from Shea and 32nd Street to Chase Tower downtown and back. The bus station situation is convenient should the need arise. However, I am afraid. Any suggestions on the safest route? Good bike ideas?

Back in the late 80's to early 90's, I averaged about 300 road miles per week in either Tucson, Los Angeles area or San Diego. Part of these miles involved some work commuting. Never was hit. I can't recall anything really close either. Once I bumped into a rider south of Tucson that carried a pistol on his bike. He said it was for protection against drivers. However, I am really afraid to ride on the road these days in Phoenix.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I really want to start commuting to work from Shea and 32nd Street to Chase Tower downtown and back. The bus station situation is convenient should the need arise. However, I am afraid. Any suggestions on the safest route? Good bike ideas?

Back in the late 80's to early 90's, I averaged about 300 road miles per week in either Tucson, Los Angeles area or San Diego. Part of these miles involved some work commuting. Never was hit. I can't recall anything really close either. Once I bumped into a rider south of Tucson that carried a pistol on his bike. He said it was for protection against drivers. However, I am really afraid to ride on the road these days in Phoenix.

51 path South to Maryland (has marked Bike Lane), West to 3rd Avenue (Sonoran Bike Route), South on 3rd to say, Palm Lane or something. I do it alot, it is about 50 minutes to work, and about an hour back home. I start at 32nd Street and Sweetwater. No need to bus it. Ultra safe route. Very little traffic.

Get a cyclocross bike or a fixed gear bike or both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    51 path South to Maryland (has marked Bike Lane), West to 3rd Avenue (Sonoran Bike Route), South on 3rd to say, Palm Lane or something. I do it alot, it is about 50 minutes to work, and about an hour back home. I start at 32nd Street and Sweetwater. No need to bus it. Ultra safe route. Very little traffic.

Get a cyclocross bike or a fixed gear bike or both.
    Bingo. My mom lives on Maryland, and it's a very bike friendly road. I think I see more bikes than cars on that road.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Occidental Tourist
    yea. follow gordan one morning and keep on 3rd ave all the way to adams and down adams to central and voila! it's really a safe route. just rode my bike down to the tower and had my shoes shined. that was one crazy russian.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    just rode my bike down to the tower and had my shoes shined. that was one crazy russian.
    If you are talking about that Russian dude's shoe shop on Central between Van Buren and Monroe, just up from the Hotel San Carlos, than he is more than just crazy. You literally are not permitted to leave the shop until you have spent at least $50 for new soles. It is a death trap in there. I need a shine and am feeling up for some fun, so I may go in there and tempt fate. He is crazy and all, but somehow endearing as well.
    I AM JUST A JERK

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    Funny ass story here...

I was heckeled coming back out of Bartlet lake on my road bike by someone on a motorcycle. Not so uncommon, but it gets better. The person heckling was the passenger on the motorcycle. Better yet, the person that called me a "***" was the guy rubbing his crotch against the other guy's ass that was doing the steering. Now, I'm a "***" for cycling down to Bartlet lake, but he's cool for going on a Sunday motorcycle ride pressed up against another man. Oh yeah, it was some beaten down rocket from the late 80s. Way cool.

It was one of those, "did this just happen" kind of experiences. Two guys one one motorcycle after spending time at the lake is by far more gay than me wearing lycra on a bicycle.

haha. people in cars are funny.

Many years ago I was commuting and a lady in a crown victoria station wagon passed me and was yelling at me as she passed. She continued yelling at me and swerved to get around. Eye on me and not on the road she drifted into the oncoming left turn lane and ran right into another car. Left front corner to left front corver. The worst part was that there were children in the back back part of the wagon and I got to watch their little feet go up and slide back away from the rear window.

I just rode by shaking my head as she got out of the car still yelling at me.

Weird F-ed up priorities to say the least. Don't check on your kids but yell at the "crazy" cyclist.

sprocket
    I commute on a Bianchi Cross Project USA bike with 37c cheap commuting tires. Panaracer UrbanMax. real cheap. The combination of the brakes and the tires are very mountain bike-y but the bike rides like a road bike and the handlebar allows so many hand positions. I highly recommend a CX bike for commuting. highly.

Good for when you have to ride over bricks, curbs, logs, and car parts and great when you have to stop NOW.

yeah, cx (and a fixed)..
    Attached Images Attached Images

workin' it Administrator
    Yeah, I am trying to convince my wife that I need one of these:

One way

fixed/free flip flop, fenders for monsoon season, and canti with big clearance and check that price!! Yee ha!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast