Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    banned

What Will the Future Be for the Sedona Mountain Bike Trail System?????????????

A call for community collaboration on future trails

Sedona, AZ The Red Rock Ranger District, in partnership with the City of Sedona and the Big Park Council, are seeking to create a non-motorized trail plan that reflects local values and recreation needs and promotes tourism for regional economic benefit while protecting the resources that draw people to this special area. Your help is needed!

Local citizens are encouraged to join this collaborative effort by attending a kick-off meeting October 25, from 6 to 8 p.m. This event will be held at the Synagogue of the Jewish Community of Sedona, located on Meadowlark Drive and State Route 179.

This is the first in a series of monthly meetings to update the local trail plan for our forest lands near Sedona and Big Park. All members of the public are welcome. Your ideas are vital for this community planning effort.

Agenda items for the October 25 meeting will include: an overview of the process, discussion of desired outcomes, sharing of ideas/values and trail interests, brainstorm of concerns, monthly schedule, and developing a core working group.

Annually, over 600,000 trail users enjoy National Forest trails in the Red Rock area. Popularity and use continues to increase, particularly for hiking and mountain biking.

What will the future of Sedona mountain bike trails be and what new trail opportunities are appropriate?

How can trails better connect with the community?

These are some of the challenges that will be addressed.

mtbr member
    Ill put up some flyers in all the quad stores in my area. This diverse group has a lot to offer sedona an its trails.

banned
    I won't be in town to attend the meeting, but if I were I would be for: the continued adoption of the current user built trails, the better signage of all system trails using a trail signage system similar to the new system in Moab, and lastly, I would be for the formation of a volunteer trail maintenance group that could do necessary maintenance on the adopted user built trails.

I personally would be interested in knowing what the presidents of the SMBC and VVCC are for and what they will communicate at the 10/25 meeting.

mtbr member
    We just want to leave our mark on the trails for those who come after us.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    We just want to leave our mark on the trails for those who come after us.
    SS:

Play along with me and pretend you are a pesky fly and I just nailed you with my trusty fly swatter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    SS:

Play along with me and pretend you are a pesky fly and I just nailed you with my trusty fly swatter.
    Cool! And you can be a fish I just reeled in with my hook and bait.

mtbr member
    You're still here?

mtbr member
    More question marks, please???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    More question marks, please???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EP:

Very creative post, thanks for posting it. Now do you or any other viewers have any experience with meetings like this and how you go about getting a good outcome for the mountain bike community?

parenting for gnarness
    EP:

Very creative post, thanks for posting it. Now do you or any other viewers have any experience with meetings like this and how you go about getting a good outcome for the mountain bike community?
    yes, a little.
    1. have a plan pre-discussed amongst the mtb stakeholders, so you appear with 1 voice to the powers-that-be.
    2. Plan should be realistic, have priorities and clear stages that can be discretely managed. 1 big plan will fail.
    3. If you cant get consensus amongst the mtbs, you are screwed and it will be a lot of yammering.

Hopefully your call-out to the clubs will work, since Managers and Rangers etc. are drawn to the clubs for input - they think if you are not affiliated with a group, you cant count for much. Unfortunately that sounds like it will work against you and some of your friends, TD.

My other ride is your mom
    As a strategy guy....I would also add to Cholla's list that a 4th item should be inserted: Measurable outcome. You've got to ensure that whatever is proposed is measurable so that the powers that be have a clear method of establishing progress to whatever goal/task is taken on and is easily communicated back to the enabling functions (where the money comes from).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I really wish this wasn't on a weeknight...I'd be there for every meeting, but it's a drive from Mesa and I don't get off that early.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What is going on with the forum borders. I can't read this! =(

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    As a strategy guy....I would also add to Cholla's list that a 4th item should be inserted: Measurable outcome. You've got to ensure that whatever is proposed is measurable so that the powers that be have a clear method of establishing progress to whatever goal/task is taken on and is easily communicated back to the enabling functions (where the money comes from).
    Sure doesn't sound like government work.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    I think IMBA is going to be a key entity in trying to support mountain biking interests. As the self-appointed ambassador to Sedona mountain biking I have always tried to promote Sedona as a great mountain biking destination due to the diverse trail system.

Unlike areas like Bend and Moab, there isn't a lot of community support for mountain biking as a recognized revenue generator, so most of the recognition comes from bike magazine articles, word of mouth and postings on MTBR.

Whether the future meetings will amount to much support for additional mountain biking opportunities will be an interesting process to follow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Achieve desired outcome?

Bribery, you ignoramus!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Bribery, you ignoramus!
    You have to wonder with these processes if there will really be transparency and that the outcome hasn't already been decided. Is there some way to evaluate the process to check if bias is a factor?

mtbr member
    I think IMBA is going to be a key entity in trying to support mountain biking interests. As the self-appointed ambassador to Sedona mountain biking I have always tried to promote Sedona as a great mountain biking destination due to the diverse trail system.

Unlike areas like Bend and Moab, there isn't a lot of community support for mountain biking as a recognized revenue generator, so most of the recognition comes from bike magazine articles, word of mouth and postings on MTBR.

Whether the future meetings will amount to much support for additional mountain biking opportunities will be an interesting process to follow.
    If you want to "promote" Sedona get a puppet account that has a down to earth personality and comes across less like a used car salesman. You've done more harm than good in the area of promotion. The mere sight of your username evokes disdain and dread.

Your ideal puppet would simply talk about Sedona and organize rides and not simply spambot and sell Sedona. If "Traildoc" gets bored and needs a release maybe get a SHAMWOW distributorship which would more suit his talents.

Love,
    Dirt

banned
    If you want to "promote" Sedona get a puppet account that has a down to earth personality and comes across less like a used car salesman. You've done more harm than good in the area of promotion. The mere sight of your username evokes disdain and dread.

Your ideal puppet would simply talk about Sedona and organize rides and not simply spambot and sell Sedona. If "Traildoc" gets bored and needs a release maybe get a SHAMWOW distributorship which would more suit his talents.

Love,
    Dirt
    SS:

Disdain and dread are you sure about that? I would think it would be passionate and initiative. I was into Amway for a while so you might have a point. Thanks for helping to keep this thread active. I think we are going to learn a lot from this thread.

1 bike to ride them all
    Interesting...

I'm generalizing here but, Sedona is a town of roughly 10k afluent retired people, median age 56.1. The local population certainly isn't the reason that there are four bike shops and a budding mountain bike destination?

Seems like a lot of folks not from Sedona have helped put and keep Sedona mountain biking on the map. Considering this fact how will this local planning process reflect and respect the will of mountain bikers who do not reside in Sedona? Last I checked public lands were owned by 300 000 000+ Americans.

mtbr member
    SS:

I would think it would be passionate and initiative.
    That would be applicable if this were about you. I take it this is more than a narcissistic quest. Do you want what is best for Sedona or what is best for Traildoc? Or possibly option 3, What is best for Sedona provided you get your recognition, credit and adoration.

The current state of affairs has you doing more harm than good.

banned
    That would be applicable if this were about you. I take it this is more than a narcissistic quest. Do you want what is best for Sedona or what is best for Traildoc? Or possibly option 3, What is best for Sedona provided you get your recognition, credit and adoration.

The current state of affairs has you doing more harm than good.
    SS:

Today I spoke with two of the different bike shop owners in Sedona. They both said business is good. How does that translate to more harm than good? Can you be specific or are you just a TD hater so you are not ever going to vote for me?

mtbr member
    SS:

Today I spoke with two of the different bike shop owners in Sedona. They both said business is good. How does that translate to more harm than good? Can you be specific or are you just a TD hater so you are not ever going to vote for me?
    If business is good why the meeting? Why do you assume business is good because of you ? Would it be better if you vanished?

Sorry not a hater. I have learned that when you post something it's generally self serving rubbish so I more than likely just ignore it and move on. I made an exception this time because every now and then I get bored enough to watch an infomercial. From what I've seen, my opinion of "Traildoc is more rule, less exception.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    what if they came out with a 29er hoveround?

mtbr member
    I, for one, kiss the ring of Traildoc. I worship at the altar of Traildoc. I bow down at the mention of Traildoc's name, then I faint. If I was on a romantic stroll with Traildoc and there was a puddle, I'd lay in it so Traildoc didn't get wet. I would gladly throw rose pedals on the ground so Traildoc doesn't touch the same ground the rest of us do. If I was a slave, I'd want to be the one that fanned Traildoc all day.

All hail Traildoc. Glory be onto Traildoc.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast