Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What video setups are Arizona riders using?

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  kenbentit 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I am considering buying a video camera setup for taping
some rides and was thinking of the Hero Go-Pro wide
or the Vio POV 1 system.

I have looked on the videos forum for info but not much
there.

Any recommendations on what you like to use would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

#2 ·
the Vio-POV is the way to go has a constant record with a tag function to keep the parts you want . It is more expensive but the Video quality is far superior to that of the Hero Go Pro. The Vio uses a constant loop system so it is always recording and when you have a run or a section that you want to keep you can tag it so it does not get looped over. also it uses SD memory cards which are practically a dime a dozen these days as well as standard AA batteries(no hunting for the recharger or forgetting to charge it). I say put the coin out for the Vio-POV and snag a couple of the lenses at the same time. its waterproof, shockproof and foolproof.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
The all-inclusive setup like the Vio is pretty nice. I have a lipstick style camera running into a MiniDV camcorder. It works fine but I also have to deal with the power and video cables for the camera. Too many points to fail, have to keep an eye on all those connections. On the plus side though, I can use the camcorder for regular shots during the ride and even put the wide angle lens on.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies,

I am probably leaning towards the Vio pov 1
unless I hear any feedback on the Go Pro Wide.
From what I can see the video quality is alot
sharper with the Vio and the price difference
is probably worth it for the quality and ease
of use.

Thanks again!

Rod

#6 ·
DOUMTB said:
Thanks for the replies,

I am probably leaning towards the Vio pov 1
unless I hear any feedback on the Go Pro Wide.
From what I can see the video quality is alot
sharper with the Vio and the price difference
is probably worth it for the quality and ease
of use.

Thanks again!

Rod
Check out our new wide angle 5MP Helmet HERO WIDE. It's an entirely new animal from our first camera. Here are some reviews so you can judge for yourself:

Mt Bike Trail Review:
http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/gopro-hero-5mp-wide-angle-cameras/reviews

MTBR forum with link to review:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474855&highlight=gopro

Groovy mount and good forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=475108&highlight=gopro

Great National Outdoors Review:
http://www.nationaloutdoors.net/gearreview/gopro-helmet-hero-wide-review

Another review:
http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2008/12/gopro-hero-videos-pueblo-south.html

thanks! http://www.goprocamera.com

#7 · (Edited)
How do you get away with spamming the boards with the go-pro crap??? Did you pay MTBR to advertise and spam the boards with your product?

You need to read the Posting guidelines again. I am sure others are tired of your Bias Company view of your product also. Hell is even one of your post not some sort of SPAM ?Do you ever contribute to this site or are you just here to gernerate sales . I bought one of these darn cameras becuase of all the posting that you have done. Unfortunate I got one of the first ones but none the less it was complete garbage same as the Tony Hawk helmet cam and the oregon scientific cam. Your go pro sits on a shelf colloecting dust for the past 7 months and no wants it even for 20 bucks.

MTBR posting guidelines
http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx#manuguidelines

#8 ·
Go Pro all the way!

the Vio-POV is the way to go has a constant record with a tag function to keep the parts you want . It is more expensive but the Video quality is far superior to that of the Hero Go Pro. The Vio uses a constant loop system so it is always recording and when you have a run or a section that you want to keep you can tag it so it does not get looped over. also it uses SD memory cards which are practically a dime a dozen these days as well as standard AA batteries(no hunting for the recharger or forgetting to charge it). I say put the coin out for the Vio-POV and snag a couple of the lenses at the same time. its waterproof, shockproof and foolproof.
The Go Pro has a constant record function, costs $189.99 for the WIDE angle, uses a 2gb SD Card, two AAA batteries, can take single- and triple-shot photos, is waterproof to 100' and completely shockproof, ALL WITHOUT THE WIRES! One vote for Go Pro
--Both shots taken with my Go Pro Helmet Hero w/o Wide angle lens at Boyne Mtn. in Michigan
Grass Tree Land lot Landscape Plain

Land lot Rural area Roof Slope Brick

#10 ·
clockwork said:
I bought one of these darn cameras becuase of all the posting that you have done. Unfortunate I got one of the first ones but none the less it was complete garbage same as the Tony Hawk helmet cam and the oregon scientific cam. Your go pro sits on a shelf colloecting dust for the past 7 months and no wants it even for 20 bucks.
I am going to have to second this, I bought one and it kept shutting off even with fresh batteries in it. The sound was HORRIBLE on it regardless of the sound setting. I was lucky however that I bought it from a local store that has a very open return policy so I wasn't out 200 buck with tax.

#11 ·
I bought a 5mp hero and yes I had the power issues - it would work for like 3 seconds and shut off. I got rechargeable batteries like they suggested and it now works fine powerwise. The picture is clearer than others I have seen and the sound is kind of whack but I'm after the picture not the sound.

#12 ·
clockwork said:
How do you get away with spamming the boards with the go-pro crap??? Did you pay MTBR to advertise and spam the boards with your product?
[/url]
Sorry to bum you out, honestly! We are working on a plan to contribute to MTBR as a sponsor and give back to both MTBR and it's riders...because MTBR is the sh*#.

Our earlier cameras were better suited for motorsports due to the stable platform cars and motorcycles provide and given the narrower lens we had before...we totally agree. It's our new camera that has been re-developed to be the bomb for biking.

But not to discount your point...we ARE going to be sponsoring and supporting MTBR very soon so we do apologize for not doing so before.

Sorry dude, honestly. We are psyched riders that just happen to work on cameras all day long so we get amped sometimes to chime in.

Over and out my dudes, nothing but love intended...

#13 ·
I use a VioPov and while I like it for the most part, I do have some minor complaints. The contrast sucks. Everything seems a little hot and the color saturation leaves much to be desired for a $700 camera. It's very easy to use, and the play back is really nice so you can edit on the trail. Would I buy it again? Maybe.

#15 ·
I have been using the VIO POV1 with an 8GB memory stick which gives about 335minutes of video at 720x480 HQ resolution (DVD quality). The setup is great (except the helmet mount). The remote rocks and so does the video. As for the helmet mouting, I suggest picking up a NiteRider TriNewt helmet mount. Cutt off the light mount so it is flat. You can then screw the camera attachment directly to the helmet mount. It is VERY secure, and makes it easy to take on and off. I hgave also burned my movies to DVD, and the look great on the big screen, as good as any SD DVD.

Here are a few clips from SOMO this week:

[URL=http://vimeo.com/2629145]Shuttle Bunnies from Tisser on Vimeo.[/URL]

[URL=http://vimeo.com/2640385]Viejo/Old Man from Tisser on Vimeo.[/URL]

#18 ·
GoPro

I went with the new GoPro Hero 5 ... IMO - the self contained unit is the way to go; no wires or receivers or battery packs, just a small lightweight vid cam that can be placed almost anywhere ... on my helmet, handlebars, fork leg - I even set it up on my seat post facing back to capture my friends from the front. The unit comes with a HUGE assortment of various mounts.
I recommend it - for under $200 you can't do any better! Picture quality is fine for what I need - I'm not a pro DH'r , just enjoy riding.

here's some samples, I think Vimeo has (slightly) better conversion quality than YouTube, but frankly they both stink, the original source is much better quality than what you see here:

git your Goat on! from Felton Flyer on Vimeo.

on the 'Wilder' side from Felton Flyer on Vimeo.

#20 ·
OK, looks like the Vio has MUCH better resolution than my setup. Even before conversion mine is more washed out, also like the wider angle the Vio has. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it :sad:

#21 ·
GoPro....

.... I picked the GoPro Wide at IB this year for $100 bucks and have been having a great time with it!
One of the features I like is the camera will take a still picture every 2 or 5 seconds, you can take almost two thousand on a 2gig memory card...that's a lot to go through at the end of the day but it's worth it. I usually take a ton of automatic pictures and then some video on the 2gig card and I haven't run out of room yet out on the trail. The waterproof housing also means it's dustproof....very important to me being a desert rider in Las Vegas. You can mount the camera just about anywhere on you, on the bike, kayak, car, dog, in the fishtank, or on the headboard of your bed :nono: There's no cords or external batteries to be bothered with, turn it on and forget it.

I'm sorry I didn't get two :thumbsup:

12-24-08 Ride from Matt Rozar on Vimeo.

#22 ·
Another big advantage I see with the VIO is the mounting options. I played around with setup on the helmet before I headed out. The first location of the camera was the standard top of the helmet. The cam felt good, and I could not tell it was there.

Then I headed out with it mounted on the side of the helmet, as low as I could go. It is slightly above eye level. This was a superior location. The depth was much better, as was the definition of objects. For those that night ride, think about the depth created when your light is mounted on the handlebar. Then think about how washed out everything is when it is on the helmet. You loose all depth. I alos feel that the side mounted option more accurately portrays the speed. I can feel the weight a bit on the side of the helmet (the camera is very solid, so it has a bit of weight) Once I am moving though, it all goes away. No balance issues whatsoever.

#23 · (Edited)
Guys its a POV ......VIO is the brand viosports .I am getting confused as my lipstick is a vio cam also ;) I did another video today but the cam on my head turned off in the begining but heres one from my vio adventure cam 3 that was on another riders head although the lens fogged up at times and my video software is 5 years old.

I know once I get my sun filters my contrast will improve .

Geronimo Trail South Mountain Arizona from clkwrk on Vimeo.

#24 ·
tiSS'er said:
I hgave also burned my movies to DVD, and the look great on the big screen, as good as any SD DVD.
That really depends upon the video source that is used to create the SD DVDs. Video quality starts with the capture quality, regardless of the end use.

The simple fact is that the POV suffers from blown highlights and a lack of dynamic range when compared to SD camcorders (if they are used for the source footage for the SD DVD) and compares even less favorably, from a video quality standpoint, to HD camcorder footage that is burned to SD DVD.

Your vids are fun and bring back some great memories but the video quality of the POV is not top notch.

#26 ·
I just wanted to thank all posters for your advice on
which video system to get but it came down to matter
of money for me and I went with the GoPro Hero5 Wide
camera.

I figured I might save some money now and wait till Vio
comes out with an HD unit and then drop alot of coin then.

Here's the first video please pardon the complete lack of
video editing or composition skills.:D

FINS Ride 12-27-08 from Rod Dwight on Vimeo.

The video quality is a little better than what I expected and the 2gb card gave
me 52min but I will definetly be getting a different mount as the helmet mount
gave little defenition to the ups and downs.

Thanks again for all your info!

Rod
depth to the ups and downs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.