dirt visionary

What trails will make good use of this bike ?

Hey folks I just scored a nice enduro .What trails will allow me to appreciate the bikes abilitys and push mine ? So far this is the longest travel bike I have ridden outside of an iron horse yakuza ( never seen its so call 6" travel even on 5ft drops) I love trail riding so that would be perffered over a pit or jump areas. I thought about GC but thats one hell of a drive for me as I live 10mins from Hawes. I am also not looking for a place to hike a bike up and bomb down I am fully capable of getting my 30lb rig up the mountain by leg power and earn my down. I have been through alot of bikes in the last few months and am upto 4 ridable squishies but none ride like my enduro but again they are also lower travel with lower builds.

TIA

Oh here is the bike . Upgrades going on later this week will be 06 XTR cranks,revelation 426,thompson stem and monkey light carbon DH bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There's a whole heap of stuff on South Mountain. That bike would be perfect for National and Geronimo

mtbr member
    If you haven't been to SoMo you got to go.

dirt visionary
    Hmm. Hows SOMO on the week days? I plan on riding somewhere tomorrow.As my rding yesterday out at Hawes ended early twice yesterday once because my buddy snapped his rear derailure hanger and the second time we got poured on 4 miles away from my truck . I was trying to do Hawes all they thru pass mountain and back but that didn't happen.

dirt visionary
    Na haven't been yet but have been wanting to . Should I run it with a person that knows the trails first or just go for it and bring the light armor?

mtbr member
    Its best to go during the week. The weekends are a zoo or more like a dog show. Its always a good idea to go with someone with area knowledge but, the trails are pretty well marked. Armor? Depends on the trail.

mtbr member

somo recommendations

armor for national? judgement call but yes if more gnarly. i am a somo regular and just took my new am rig out for spin on beverly from 46th up to dirt road, up to jeep road's end near national/mormon start and flew back down, then hit east / west loop combos. it was a nice loop to learn my coilair since i am coming from 4" of travel.
    javelina is fun to come down but kind of crappy to climb....not too bad if you're used to hawes. ridgeline sucks as it has too many climbs. desert classic is fun but much more tame....good if you do the full thing and then head up at the end.
    there are maps at the trail heads (big posters) and you can find some gps maps on mtbr if you look hard enough.
    you'll definitely see riders on national after 2 but otherwise some runners, hikers, etc., throughout day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im up for a ride after around noon till 4. i get out of class by then and have nothin but ride time. either a fun ride up and down national followed by a mormon/national loop until i run out of time or a road ride...which will i rather do.....?

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    im up for a ride after around noon till 4. i get out of class by then and have nothin but ride time. either a fun ride up and down national followed by a mormon/national loop until i run out of time or a road ride...which will i rather do.....?
    You shoulda been there tonight, Chollaball and I did Javelina, up National to Buena Vista & back. Good stuff. Oh, punk@ss Landon didn't show up.

As for the original topic. I ride a similar 6" travel bike (Ellsworth moment) and my freind Bob has the same exact bike as you, both do very well on everything at south mountain (except desert classic cause I refuse to ride that boring crappy trail). You should have alot of fun on SOMO. Be sure to check out Goat Camp too.
    JRA