Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Control Freak

what to take on the ride?

ok so bike should be out of the shop soon.../pray

when I go out what to take? I have water 100oz bladder of it...I have tubless tires so besides water...what else to take?

Also a personal note...i carry everyday that I dont work...just a little 9mm...should this be something I should bring or not necessary.

thanks,

Tim

PS: please dont flame for my personal carry preference... thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatedg
    ok so bike should be out of the shop soon.../pray

when I go out what to take? I have water 100oz bladder of it...I have tubless tires so besides water...what else to take?

Also a personal note...i carry everyday that I dont work...just a little 9mm...should this be something I should bring or not necessary.

thanks,

Tim

PS: please dont flame for my personal carry preference... thanks!
    Here is what is in my pack for the "big" bike:
    1 spare tube (I also run tubeless, but you need at least one tube if you do get a flat)
    2 tire irons
    multitool with a chain breaker
    spare links and an extra magic link
    C02 pump and 2-3 canisters
    hand pump
    shock pump
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Here is what is in my pack for the "big" bike:
    1 spare tube (I also run tubeless, but you need at least one tube if you do get a flat)
    2 tire irons
    multitool with a chain breaker
    spare links and an extra magic link
    C02 pump and 2-3 canisters
    hand pump
    shock pump

Pretty much exactly what I take plus:

Power Bar
    Extra Tubeless stem
    Patch kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Pretty much exactly what I take plus:

Power Bar
    Extra Tubeless stem
    Patch kit
    Let me amend: I also bring a patch kit, and two gels.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    I'm also going to add a sidewall protector, made out of a milk container. Thanks to Rick fro showing me that Saturday!...........Drew

mtbr member
    I add to the above lists the following:

small bottle of Stans (dries out quickly in summer)
    zip ties and duct tape
    first aid kit w/latex gloves, gloves come in handy for repairs
    cell phone (if riding alone)
    ass wipe (you never know)
    spare chain links (power links)
    small bottle of triflow
    gel packs and clif bar

Damn, no wonder I am so slow

banned
    lighter

patch kit

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This might seem weird, but after breaking a phone snowboarding, I took one of my snowboarding socks and put my cell phone it. If I'm going to do some intense riding, I do the same thing for protection, especially for the screen.

"No Clue Crew"
    Drew, you better throw in a derailleur hanger also !
    I carry everything listed above plus a couple of emergency bottles of water. ( I drink a lot and often go through 100 oz quickly )
    I also carry lots of gels, granola bars, uncrustables, etc. I'm a fat kid so I'm always eating something !
    I used to carry a midget in my pack. I would drop the seat post and have him pedal when I got tired.
    My pack usually weighs more than my bike.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    lighter

patch kit

about that patch kit..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cell phone
    100oz bladder
    hand pump
    shock pump
    1.5-6mm allen wrench
    crescent wrench
    little leatherman thing
    tire lever
    camera
    tube
    usually some gummy candy
    patch kit

I love bike!
    Pretty much take along what the others have mentioned. One suggestion is to pack your gear in your vehicle the night before your ride in the morning because you will inevitably forget an important component for your ride when rushing around trying to gather stuff that morning. It REALLY SUX when you get to the trailhead and realize that you forgot your front wheel

kAZ
    mtbr member
    A pocket comb is good for removing cholla that are stuck to you. I also keep tweezers in my first aid kit. Re first aid kit, best to have too much stuff rather than too little. I've seen some disturbingly deep and bloody cuts from pretty mundane crashes; decomposed granite has a lot sharp edges. I only bring a shock pump if my shock is newly rebuilt or something.

banned
    Wow, with people like this on the trails I am going to start bringing money and just buy what I need on the trail...

I take a spare tube, power links, set of allen wrenches, tire levers, air pump, shock pump, snacks and liquids.

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Pretty much take along what the others have mentioned. One suggestion is to pack your gear in your vehicle the night before your ride in the morning because you will inevitably forget an important component for your ride when rushing around trying to gather stuff that morning. It REALLY SUX when you get to the trailhead and realize that you forgot your front wheel
    Ask latedropbob how many times hes forgot his shoes? I lost count.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by abcnorte
    only twice and never again...until next time I do. I always remember the coffee though right???

on another note...carry presta tubes instead of schrader, found that out today when I had a schrader and noodlemaster had a presta only rim, and a presta air adaptor. So then the next item to always carry is some slime skab patches. Oh and a leather man, and an air compressor and a bike stand and a fully kitted tool box and an extra tire, etc etc, you can't be too careful...

Control Freak
    I might have to break out my army Alice pack for all this lol....

Just Joshin' ya!
    I always take a small first aid kit in addition to the other stuff that people have mentioned. It contains a few band-aids which I rarely use and also contains antiseptic wipes that I steal from my doctors office. Every year when I go to get my physical, I steal like 20 of them from the bathroom and then stash them in my pack. You know the ones that you are supposed to wipe your pee-pee with when giving a urine sample? They work great when you eat shi* and need to clean up and disinfect your wounds.

Also, I carry a small pack of butt butter. Do a search for "taint paint" to understand my love for it.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    i would bring some baggy shorts w/ but pad....jeans get really warm

helmet is always good, too.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i like athletic tape too. it can be a really big bandaid, or a really little bandaid
    i did my first race this weekend. we got to the start, started getting ready, and dum de dum dumb hey look no shoes! good thing i only lived 10 minutes away...

A couple more VERY small things that I carry that have saved more than one (other person's) ride.

A couple of chainring bolts. You'd be surprised how often people lose these.
    An extra cleat bolt - the ones that attach your cleats to your shoes. I've seen many cleats come loose - almost always one of the bolts works it's way out and falls off before the problem is discovered.

These items weigh next to nothing and take up almost no space - but can be very nice to have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You might ask yourself if all the gear is necessary a time or two, right up until you need it. Then you'll get a BIGGER pack... If you're riding during the day you can prolly leave the iron under the seat. I pack my G-26 on night rides cause I'm out in the Estrellas or White Tanks which are a bit more secluded and I'm usually solo this time of year. I feel a good 6 inched taller when I'm packin too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    A couple more VERY small things that I carry that have saved more than one (other person's) ride.

A couple of chainring bolts. You'd be surprised how often people lose these.
    An extra cleat bolt - the ones that attach your cleats to your shoes. I've seen many cleats come loose - almost always one of the bolts works it's way out and falls off before the problem is discovered.

These items weigh next to nothing and take up almost no space - but can be very nice to have.

Where were you last year when I was riding the long loop at Mcdowell. Lost two chainring bolts and completely destroyed my middle and small ring at the bottom of the steepest climb there. Made it up in the big ring but felt like crap the rest of the ride. I now check them and many other bolts the night before every ride.

My pack:
    water 100oz
    multi-tool w/chain tool
    hand pump
    C02 pump w/2 cylinders
    small pocket knife
    patch kit
    spare tube
    tire levers
    pressure gauge
    hammer gel
    cell phone

shock pump got booted (everyone in my group carries one)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pressure gauge?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Forgot I have a whole new spd clip set in my bag too :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast