mtbr member
    May 2011

What should I do with LBS?

I bought a 2012 Tallboy on closeout back in July from the internet and ended up taking it to my LBS finally last week for some work. I've dealt with this LBS for several years and they've always done a great job of taking care of any issues. I'm treated fairly.
    Here's my problem - they use a cheap degreaser that took the finish off my wife's front shock a couple of years ago. I told him about it and to never use that on my bikes again. Well, he used it on my 3 month old bike and it just took the finish off of my Fox fork. It's not terrible, but it now has splotches all over the fork where the sheen is missing.
    What would you do?

mtbr member
    Sorry for your plight! Confront them and give them a chance to make it right. I would expect a new finish, or a free service contract or whatever will make you happy. It's no different than if they had scratched up the frame. Damage is damage! If they won't help you out, then I would at least post up the name of the shop on this forum to help others not be victims.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    spoke with the shop and they've promised to make it right, even if it requires a new fork. I'm confident they will, like I said, "they've always done a great job"

mtbr member
    Ossum!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

livin' the dream......
    Once this is officially resolved and you are satisfied, you should post the shop name. Good service should be recognized!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    Once this is officially resolved and you are satisfied, you should post the shop name. Good service should be recognized!!
    Sounds fishy to me. You can clean your bike with turpentine and it won't hurt the finish. Brake fluid on the other hand can definitely do it.

By front shock, I presume the OP means fork but was it the stanchions or the lower leg assembly? Do us a favor and cough up the name of the degreaser
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No kidding, pics of the damage would be helpful too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Sounds fishy to me. You can clean your bike with turpentine and it won't hurt the finish. Brake fluid on the other hand can definitely do it.

By front shock, I presume the OP means fork but was it the stanchions or the lower leg assembly? Do us a favor and cough up the name of the degreaser
    And do they not normally deal with bikes with Fox forks? And does Fox have a special finish? Does seem weird.....