Elitest thrill junkie

This is what riding is like up North

This is what riding is like up North-image.jpgDidn't know what kind of rides would be available, or if there would even be anything but winter snow-biking and riding on shores. The trails up here are absolutely stunning though. We've had a bunch of weekends of 70+ temps, even 80 (feels a good 15 degrees warmer, not sure if it's our adaptation or the radiation). Just absolutely stunning weather and views on this ride to Lost Lake. Trail starts on the Seward Highway at the Primrose trailhead, continues parallel to the highway, passes the big lake, ends up in Seward, a fishing/shipping/tourist port south of Anchorage on the Kenai Peninsula. Looks like it was 30 miles and I don't know how much vertical, but more than 4000'. There is some great riding in the city of Anchorage, but stuff out on the peninsula just blows my mind, absolutely epic and off the scale.
    This is what riding is like up North-image.jpgThis is what riding is like up North-image.jpgThis is what riding is like up North-image.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Forget rattlesnakes - don't you have to worry about Grizzlies up there? Looks pretty isolated.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Looks like a wise choice buddy! Great to see you chime in here and keep it real every now and then. Did I mention you are a lucky/smart SOB!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Stunning! Good for you man. Keep em coming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You should check out Resurrection Trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    You should check out Resurrection Trail.
    This is what riding is like up North-gedc0146s.jpg
    Already done that a few times!

There were all kinds of people up by Lost Lake this weekend, even one that that felt he needed a carbine bear-gun (like the ones that wild west custom guns makes on the discovery channel), so I think we were well prepared with lots of other people for the bears to eat. Haven't seen any bears on rides though, I think they are a myth and the anchorage zoo takes them out and puts them near the highway during the day for tourists.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Kathleen in AZ
    A litte different from Arizona! Thanks for sharing the pics. What about skeeters? I bet they are big as bears up there.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous scenery! What months are you able to ride?
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Great to see some stoke from AK!! I was following the Kenai 250 on Trackleaders a few weeks ago, seems like there are a ton of great trails around the peninsula.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Give it a crank
    That's really awesome!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    i think we're in it now

parenting for gnarness
    good stuff James!
    is your fatbike the pedalingest?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looks like great trail conditions. Have no doubt though, the bears are there. . . probably finishing up down at the salmon streams this time of year.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Well...while I didn't ride my fatbike over the weekend, I do have a fatbike now, so theoretically, I have YEAR ROUND RIDING! Just like Phoenix! And all kidding aside, there are some absolutely epic winter rides on frozen crust where you don't sink in, so you can just simply "ride" on top of the snow wherever it takes you for miles, out to glaciers, etc. Looking forward to that.

For "summer riding" actually on trails, end of May/beginning of June is when stuff is really drying out. I think we got the first snow last year at the end of September, right before I went down south to train for the month of October. When I got back, it was full on cold-snap. Coldest months were November and December, where it didn't snow at all for the most part (real odd from what everyone says). Once we got snow on the ground in January, it was a good deal warmer. -12 was the coldest I think I saw, but once January hit it was more like +12 lows and highs in the 20s, sometimes 30s. Couple spells broke freezing, then went back down for a few months. When stuff starts melting here, it does so in epic fashion. During the winter, snow doesn't sublimate like in Flagstaff, it just stays, and when we start getting more sunlight than night, everything turns to water fast.

The amazing thing is that there are quite a few very good epic rides, like I've posted. It's not a one-pony show by any means. Given how much of the year the trails are buried, this is amazing and I'm happy there are so many trails around here. On this weekend's ride I was thinking to myself that: "this is some sh*t you'd see in the Alps in Bike Magazine". I feel pretty lucky to have some of these trails accessible.

Here's he new ripping machine (at the ski resort):
    This is what riding is like up North-gedc0155s.jpg
    This is what riding is like up North-gedc0166s.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    good stuff James!
    is your fatbike the pedalingest?
    The jumps I get away with on it really surprise me, but it accelerates like crap. I have 780 bars on it for the leverage with an ultegra cassette. Although that might seem opposite of what one would think, really if you don't have that leverage and gearing, you just don't go anywhere when you pedal, haha. Riding with guys on 26ers and they just takeoff down the trail while you are trying to get the wheels up to speed. Still, it's fun and handles tabletops pretty well. Looking forward to getting it in it's element in the winter. Supposedly winter fat-biking is getting bigger than XC skiing here, and XC skiing is crazy popular, they also go into temper-tantrums when hikers or bikers accidentally ride their trails.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    A litte different from Arizona! Thanks for sharing the pics. What about skeeters? I bet they are big as bears up there.
    F-ing horrible. If there's wind not so bad, at different times of summer like late summer they aren't bad, but they've been bad this summer. Some kind of repellent is pretty much mandatory and it's best if you can take it with you on the ride. Other people resort to wearing long pants (just too hot usually though), 3/4 shorts, real geeky mosquito-nets, etc.