mtbr member
    Jun 2011

What is my bike worth? Need help with a starting price.

What do you think my bike is worth? I'll probably get my bike posted for sale after my camping trip and get some good pics up but curious as to what I should start my price at...

2008 Specialized Pitch Pro (M) - RS Pike Fork w/ turn knob adjustable travel 100-140mm, lock out, and solid axle - Fox Float R rear shock 150mm with pro-peddle - XT derailleur - LX shifters - Avid Juicy brakes - 3x setup - Shimano clipless peddles - Original owners manuals for the bike, fork and shock - standard wear on the bike but overall probably a 7/10 condition - only thing wrong with it is a slightly bent seat post at the seat mount - No dents, big scratches, perfect stanchion - just standard AZ wear.

The .05 percent
    26" Wheels? If so 800.00 and both parties stoked.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

parenting for gnarness
    Less. I've had this listed for $900 and $850 local, cant get anything more than moronic bros who cant spell and telling me times are tough but willing to take it off my hands for $650.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2183420/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea, 26".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ouch! Probably doesn't help with the current temps and not a lot of bike shoppers right now I'd think. I would hope to get around 700-800 for the bike

mtbr member
    The market for used bikes sucks right now. I couldn't get 55% of retail for a '16 Trek Fuel 9.8 in very good to excellent condition. Not one offer in three weeks. Wouldn't go any lower just to draw the bottom feeders. I thought I wanted something different, but decided to keep it and ride the hell out of it. The more I ride it, the more I like and appreciate this bike. I'm actually glad it didn't sell. BBB lists your bike in excellent condition at just over $600. I'm aware that they are lowball on selling prices, but in this market I think you will be lucky to get that unless you find the right buyer who is looking for exactly that bike. Sucks bro, I know... Not personally familiar with the Spec Pitch Pro, but from reviews I've read sounds like it was well-loved back "in the day."
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    The market for used bikes sucks right now. I couldn't get 55% of retail for a '16 Trek Fuel 9.8 in very good to excellent condition. Not one offer in three weeks. Wouldn't go any lower just to draw the bottom feeders. I thought I wanted something different, but decided to keep it and ride the hell out of it. The more I ride it, the more I like and appreciate this bike. I'm actually glad it didn't sell. BBB lists your bike in excellent condition at just over $600. I'm aware that they are lowball on selling prices, but in this market I think you will be lucky to get that unless you find the right buyer who is looking for exactly that bike. Sucks bro, I know... Not personally familiar with the Spec Pitch Pro, but from reviews I've read sounds like it was well-loved back "in the day."
    Yea it does really suck, plus being summer time here in AZ doesn't help the cause either. The bike is actually a really nice bike and other than some dated parts it's still a really good bike and comparable suspension to anything Spec. offers today.

I would let it collect dust and be a spare bike for a friend or even my self in a pinch than to let it go for nothing, but for someone trying to get into the sport and wants some decent travel it's going to be hard to beat for $700 (probably my price point on it). Not to mention, every review on this bike is solid and one of the highest rated/loved Spec. bikes.

I just happened to pick up a Pivot 5.7 for a price that I couldn't pass up (yes 26", doesn't bother me LOL) so just no need for it but maybe it will make some good wall decor if it doesn't sell

mtbr member
    Maybe trade it for some stuff of comparable value that you do need?

mtbr member
    For perspective, I bought an almost new 09 giant trance three years ago for $800. Yes 26r. If anything the prices have come down even more. I'll keep my bike though 'till either the frame breaks or my kid is old enough to ride it. Good luck.

Meatbomb
    I'll give you $650.00 for it and then you can buy chollaball's Pivot.

My other ride is your mom
    Standard price for any piece of outdoor equipment used is 50% of new.....discount down from there. I don't see your rig going for more than $500.....and that's with universally valuable components in it, which from your list, you don't have.

dirt visionary
    I had told him $750 on FB when he asked the same question there but that was being nice. reality is he will be offered $500 if hes lucky.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I had told him $750 on FB when he asked the same question there but that was being nice. reality is he will be offered $500 if hes lucky.
    Thanks for "being nice" I guess LOL, not sure what the point was of that then.

I don't have any "sentimental value" to this bike or "think" it should be worth a bunch of money, I will be putting it for sale and just looking for starting price point for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Maybe trade it for some stuff of comparable value that you do need?
    Sorry, don't need anything that I can think of.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by nando87 View Post
    Thanks for "being nice" I guess LOL, not sure what the point was of that then.

I don't have any "sentimental value" to this bike or "think" it should be worth a bunch of money, I will be putting it for sale and just looking for starting price point for it.
    Well you never know how someone will react when you tell them their bike isn't really worth squat. I recently had a coworker ask me what his 6 year DH bike was worth. So I told him to start @1200 but 800 would be what he would get in the end...that didn't go over well and hes still pissed I would value his bike so low when it was 6800 new.

$750 is still a good starting point as in the end you will be offered around $550-500. If you start at 500 you will get a ton of $350 offers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Well you never know how someone will react when you tell them their bike isn't really worth squat. I recently had a coworker ask me what his 6 year DH bike was worth. So I told him to start @1200 but 800 would be what he would get in the end...that didn't go over well and hes still pissed I would value his bike so low when it was 6800 new.

$750 is still a good starting point as in the end you will be offered around $550-500. If you start at 500 you will get a ton of $350 offers.
    No worries, I know what the bike is at the end of the day.

Yea, that's probably a good idea and where I'll most likely start for a price point with the 500-550 expectations at the end of the day and that is perfectly fine with me.

Thanks!

parenting for gnarness
    I want to know what it is about guys and buying bikes that they talk like brain-challenged knuckle draggers? Would you ever go into a bike shop, and start the conversation with "Hey, I know your price is $4k, but I'll take it off your hands for $2800. I'd offer more if I could, but times are tight and that all the cash my old lady will let me use."

If something was in the ballpark of the right price, I dont start out a conversation by low-balling or by saying "what's your lowest price". Idiots like these pinkbike faux bros really play into every bad mtb stereotype.

dirt visionary
    Agreed I hate selling crap as you have too many knuckleheads doing just what you describe. When I get stupid low ball offers for stuff thats already cheaper than the next few I just flat out ignore them.

I love bike!
    I sold a 2007 Turner RFX (26") with a lot of upgrades (dropper, 1x10, newish brakes, new tires, recent fork rebuild) for $540 a few months back. Really nice bike for how old it was, but with all the latest technology on newer bikes it was way outdated. Started asking $950 I think and eventually dropped to $600 taking the $540. I would be really surprised if you were to get any more than $500. That bike is so behind on the latest technology that you're going to be lucky to scratch anything out of it. You're going to get some $250 offers (I did) so don't be surprised and be patient. Not trying to beat you up, just giving you my recent experience in a similar situation. Good luck!

My other ride is your mom
    Avid juicy......Mike.drop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Avid juicy......Mike.drop
    Who's Mike?

Oh... you mean "mic".

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On the Sunday before the 4th of July I listed two (his and hers) 05 Gaint reigns on CL. The large was a custom build with a lot of miles and the small was stock with few miles. Listed them sepperate for 550 and 500. Also noted in each add both could be sold together for a discount. I didn't expect any interest. But wiffy told me they had to go if I want two new 08 bikes to replace them.

I got lucky. Sold in two days. Guy called up asked how much for both. Have him a fair price of 400 each. Sold. He was looking for his and hers bikes.

Had a few other calls in the small after that. All my interest was from 928 area code.

parenting for gnarness
    Yeah Maad, cant you sell my bike up there for me?

Meatbomb
    Last bike I sold was to a guy from Flagstaff.

List it on the Flagstaff Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Standard price for any piece of outdoor equipment used is 50% of new.....discount down from there. I don't see your rig going for more than $500.....and that's with universally valuable components in it, which from your list, you don't have.

Im looking at a few higher end bikes on CL. right now. Carbon frame /carbon wheels. Seems like people are asking closer to 75% I'm curious how many would let them go for 50%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Im looking at a few higher end bikes on CL. right now. Carbon frame /carbon wheels. Seems like people are asking closer to 75% I'm curious how many would let them go for 50%.
    I have a V1 Bronson on PB now. Listed for about 50% of what I paid for bike & carbon wheels. I'm not sure what some sellers are smoking before they list.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How old is the Bronson?

I agree with the 50% off price used. Just wonder if you take the 50% hit as soon as you roll it off lot so to speak

mtbr member
    Just under two years old. I looked at bicycle book, but they did not have my MY, so I just looked for comparable pricing on the same bike at PB. The ones in the 50% margin are selling. This article from Single tracks states that a MTB depreciates about 45% after the first year. See second paragraph.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Reptilian View Post
    Just under two years old. I looked at bicycle book, but they did not have my MY, so I just looked for comparable pricing on the same bike at PB. The ones in the 50% margin are selling. This article from Single tracks states that a MTB depreciates about 45% after the first year. See second paragraph.
    Thanks. That lets me know wherw I should be at when I make an offer.

Good way to keep a thread alive and inform more people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The only bike I've purchased that increased in value.

What is my bike worth? Need help with a starting price.-%24_57.jpg