Addicted to 2 wheels

What is the most extreme conditions you rode in? heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...

It is supposed to be a hot one today. Some reports say 120!!! I told my wife I wanted to go for a 30 minute ride in it, just to experience it. She said no freaking way you are not.

So what are the most extreme conditions you rode in?

For me on mtb, it was likely 104 with high humidity. I was nto feeling it. On moto, I rode in a torential down pour that took our roads and turned washes into rapids.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    She said no freaking way you are not.
    So... Your going right?

Probably last summer, rode one day around 4 pm and it was around 108. I stopped for breaks about every 10 minutes and squired freezing cold water from my water bottle in the holes on my helmet (I was a soaking wet mess by the end of the ride - but never overheated). I also consider riding in anything less than 60 degrees to be extreme (AZ Native here)

mtbr member
    I'm from CT and tried riding all year. I've ridden in temps close to 0 before. With right gear, though, it isn't bad. I forgot my toe covers once on a road ride. Wow were my feet cold! I've ridden here when the temps said 108, but it was a night ride so it didn't feel bad.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

AZ
    banned
    Six below zero.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    So... Your going right?

Probably last summer, rode one day around 4 pm and it was around 108. I stopped for breaks about every 10 minutes and squired freezing cold water from my water bottle in the holes on my helmet (I was a soaking wet mess by the end of the ride - but never overheated). I also consider riding in anything less than 60 degrees to be extreme (AZ Native here)
    Nah, She let's me get away with a lot. She can win this battle.

I rode yeaterday at 5 in 109 for an hour with no stops and climbed over 1,000 feet. I was a little off, but not as bad as heat and humidity.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll be heading out today, same reason as you SugarHigh, I want the experience. I've done a few rides with start temps around 115º, hottest I recall was 116º. I'm going for some climbing on SoMo today @3pm. Bladder, bottle & gatorade already in the freezer. I'm hoping it hits 120º!!

On the other side of things, when I lived back in PA during my flatland freestyle days we'd routinely go out for nighttime parking lot sessions in temps below 10º clearing off the snow so we could ride.

My bike riding addiction goes way back.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

AZ
    banned
    I don't know how you guys/gals can ride with the air quality so poor. I gave up on a ride this morning with burning throat and eyes.

Give it a crank
    Rode on a 118F day in the dry heat for one hour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarhigh View Post
    it is supposed to be a hot one today. Some reports say 120!!! I told my wife i wanted to go for a 30 minute ride in it, just to experience it. She said no freaking way you are not.

For me on mtb, it was likely 104 with high humidity. I was nto feeling it. On moto, i rode in a torential down pour that took our roads and turned washes into rapids.
    .13 bac
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    .13 bac
    For the win!
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    115* or so was when I decided it wasn't worth it.

I happened to get caught in a pretty good dust storm once. I definitely had PMP all to myself that day.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I'd much rather ride in this heat than the humidity back east or any humidity.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

bike tester
    Last year i did a 6 hour tour at 125F. Went through 4L water and 6L Coke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I'd much rather ride in this heat than the humidity back east or any humidity.
    The truth, you speak it.

Sweating in humidity is like trying to use a swamp cooler after a good rain.

mtbr member
    Good luck to all those riding today. I will obviously be passing up this time. Let us know how it goes.

bland
    I rode through a forest of slim jims drinking red bull and it was raining mt dew. Shawn Palmer was there.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Last year i did a 6 hour tour at 125F. Went through 4L water and 6L Coke.
    I am guessing you are in the armed forces! If I am right, thank you! Either way, would like to hear more about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Done a few afternoon commutes(12mi road) when it was 120+. One day was hot enough that the temp stopped going up on Garmin. Max displayed temp was not being reported in activity. Basically Garmin said I was using it above the max operating temp. I will out there today spinning away.

mtbr member
    I rode my bike home from U of Az tucson in about 115 once... on the other had I have mountain biked in 15 degree weather when I lived in West Virginia while snowing flurries and snow on the ground...

banned
    Aug 2012
    .13 bac
    Gauntlet thrown

bike tester
    I am guessing you are in the armed forces! If I am right, thank you! Either way, would like to hear more about it.
    Not really but close enough

I am a bike guide for a chain of german hotels. The last two years i've been deployed in Northern Africa.

Shovel Ready
    I rode behind AZdog after his Hotdog & Tamale lunch!

mtbr member
    Rode 20 miles home from work Wednesday @ 109 degrees. I must have looked pretty rough at mile 12 because a guy pulls up next to me and asks if I need help (not a ride but help). I was well hydrated and fine though.
    I need to ride more...

mtbr member
    Please don't make the news today. It's embarrassing for all of us.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    They don't let TV cameras into the ER

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I'll be heading out today, same reason as you SugarHigh, I want the experience. I've done a few rides with start temps around 115º, hottest I recall was 116º. I'm going for some climbing on SoMo today @3pm. Bladder, bottle & gatorade already in the freezer. I'm hoping it hits 120º!!

On the other side of things, when I lived back in PA during my flatland freestyle days we'd routinely go out for nighttime parking lot sessions in temps below 10º clearing off the snow so we could ride.

My bike riding addiction goes way back.
    After reading the thread on AZ heat, I have to offer you advice. Don't ride alone, don't ride anywhere remote, don't ride in the heat. It is very dangerous. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    After reading the thread on AZ heat, I have to offer you advice. Don't ride alone, don't ride anywhere remote, don't ride in the heat. It is very dangerous. Have fun!
    you obviously have no idea who you are talking to

EDR

Re: What is the most extreme conditions you rode in? heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...

I once rode when my wife was very very very mad at me.

That was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had.

Happy Trails

What is the most extreme conditions you rode in? heat, humidity, snow, rain, .

Posrep.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    you obviously have no idea who you are talking to
    That made me chuckle.

I didn't think it was that bad today, actually a little disappointed it only hit 116º (at least from what I saw) I wanted the full blast furnace experience. Saw two hikers out at SoMo that was it. I ended up doing my tech loop: 46th St start -> up Javelina -> up Mormon -> up Natty to waterfall -> down Natty -> over to Javelina for the nice downhill finish. A little over 2 hrs out from 3:15 - 5:30p, slow pace going up, normal stuff going down. I still had ice in my pack at the end too.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be hitting the trails at 5:30a the next two days!!

My Two Schillingsworth

livin' the dream......
    I rode once before I had any coffee. THAT was brutal.......

be safe ya'll

Elitest thrill junkie
    It was on Bill William's Mtn in the late summer, in a thunderstorm. The clouds were forming as I was climbing, but it was one of those days where it just "explodes". As soon as I started down it was pouring the entire time with water everywhere, and the lightning was way too close for comfort. I was getting strikes where the sound and light were at the exact same time and I could feel some of the concussive force of the blast. There's just no shelter when you're in that situation and if you try to sit somewhere it seems like you are a sitting duck for the next lightning strike up on the mountain. I got off it as fast as I could, but it was the worst storm I ever got caught up in, it was no joke and I would never wish that anyone get caught in one like that.

Otherwise, there was one ride in Prescott that likely ranged from about 5 above to -5, depending on the valleys and elevation. It was the coldest day I ever saw there, but there weren't any temp readings that far up the trails/mountains. I didn't have enough clothes and gave up after only about 3 miles, high-tailing it back to the car to get warm. That was an ultra-rare cold day and probably the coldest I ever saw there. It doesn't get much colder in Anchorage, but the average is much colder and the lack of sunlight can really drill it into you if you don't have the right gear. Many times the next day in Prescott it's back into the 60s or 50s and sunlight...even warmer sometimes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Re: What is the most extreme conditions you rode in? heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...

This was a very chilly day but loved every moment of it. :thumbup::thumbup:

"nOteWAre Out"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the most extreme conditions you rode in?  heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...-uploadfromtaptalk1372481328488.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I rode through a forest of slim jims drinking red bull and it was raining mt dew. Shawn Palmer was there.
    Bwahaha! You beat me too it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    [QUOTE=metalaficionado;10499786]you obviously have no idea who you are talking to[/QUOTE

I do, it was an attempt at humor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What is the most extreme conditions you rode in?  heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...-img_0084.jpg

And NEVER ride at night!!! (sarcasm)

mtbr member
    Not so big on the heat, but I had a -4 (before wind chill) commute last winter up here in the White Mountains. Probably the coldest I've ever been out riding in. Had several 105+ days living in Oregon (of all places).

mtbr member
    I've rode in those intense dust storms (Haboob) a few times... It was fun minus the dust that turned to mud in my mouth... Thankfully I was wearing my goggles. Rode durning thunderstorms where the wind was so intense that it knocked me off the bike once. Rode yesterday afternoon during this extreme heat... Did entire length of Trail-100 starting at 1:00pm finished 3:45pm. It was by far my slowest time but the heat was just to intense for me... Had to rest multiple times and just wasn't pushing it as hard as I usually do. Won't be doing that again in such extreme temperature... One of the stupidest things I have done on a bike, luckily I didn't get heatstroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Commuted in Phoenix summer, high temp was 118 or so. With cars and heat from the pavement, not sure the real temp. Commuted in Grand Rapids Michigan, low temp around -25. And have commuted in a snow storm that shut down the city. I think we got about a foot plus of snow that day. Commute home was a little longer than normal.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    while wearing an adult diaper with a live octopus in it?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tjkm;10499954]I rode once before I had any coffee. THAT was brutal.......

I do not believe you rode without coffee unless you had beer in place of it!!!!

Pivotal figure
    I've done a few snow rides and they were brisk but not all that awful. Did a couple of hot rides (115-118) a few years ago and those were just miserable. Took at least twice as long and twice the effort for a short loop and I felt like crap afterward. That experiment was enough for me, never again...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

parenting for gnarness
    24OP in 2005? insanity

Turn & Burn in its inaugural year - hard rain the entire ~7hrs.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It was on Bill William's Mtn in the late summer, in a thunderstorm. The clouds were forming as I was climbing, but it was one of those days where it just "explodes". As soon as I started down it was pouring the entire time with water everywhere, and the lightning was way too close for comfort. I was getting strikes where the sound and light were at the exact same time and I could feel some of the concussive force of the blast. There's just no shelter when you're in that situation and if you try to sit somewhere it seems like you are a sitting duck for the next lightning strike up on the mountain. I got off it as fast as I could, but it was the worst storm I ever got caught up in, it was no joke and I would never wish that anyone get caught in one like that.
    Similar experience here. Decided to head out to Santans after a monsoon storm and catch the cool AFTER the storm. It was sprinkling a little bit when I started up Dynamite and when I got about half way all hell broke loose...guess the previous storm was just a teaser. Rain coming down in buckets and running across the trail creating some really sketchy crossings...should have turned around at this point. Then lightning started hitting the top of the peak I was near the top of and could feel the shock waves...should have turned around at this point. Descended down backside to get to lower ground and hopefully the storm would quickly pass...it didn't. Got to a creek crossing that was more like the rapids at the Grand Canyon...finally gave in to my stupidity and stubborness and turned around. Rain and lightning continued to pound me on the way back. Made it back to the truck unscathed other than drenched and terrified. Lucky I didn't get stranded out there as it was really bad. Sure made me feel alive but I NEVER want to experience that again...STOOOOPID!!!

Forgot to mention that a deputy was sitting in his patrol car at the TH parking lot when I returned. When I approached my truck (only one in the lot) I could see him just shaking his head at me

bland
    Y'all are so damn core!

Team Pedalin' PACEless
    .13 bac
    Good one!

116+ last weekend. Rear hub blew up at mile 7 and I ended up hoofing it back to the trailhead, to the tune of 5 miles. Thank God my buddy raced ahead and was waiting for me in his truck. That sucked ...

Pj
    Team Pedalin' PACEless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Y'all are so damn core!
    Right.

Today in Flagstaff in thunder, rain and hail. - Believe me not my choice weather - it started out super nice.. then it hit us 25 miles away from the car.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Right.

Today in Flagstaff in thunder, rain and hail. - Believe me not my choice weather - it started out super nice.. then it hit us 25 miles away from the car.
    I rather enjoyed that today, something different for sure. I didn't care for the HAB up that last climb on FR418 due to mud sticking to my tires, but it was relatively short. Then again, I wasn't sitting at Shultz Creek TH watching bark get stripped off a tree from a lightning strike 50 yards away!!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Rogue Exterminator
    What is the most extreme conditions you rode in? heat, humidity, snow, rain, ...
    All of the above.

120 is ridiculously hot and not really smart to plan a long ride in especially since there is rarely any protection from the sun in the desert. However, anyone should be able to do 30 min in it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.