Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Tone:

How does an A Hole like you get a rep point of 119. You are constantly harassing me and I do appreciate it. You know exactly what I am up to. You can't ask the FS these important questions at the RTCA Trail Planning Meetings meetings.

I would love to ask them when are we going to be able to work of the trails part of the process. At the next meeting the hydrologist is going to show up unless she calls in sick after reading this post.

When I went out with Jennifer's friend Doug McPhee who is a mountain biker and contract hydrologist to the FS. Doug is a great guy and enjoyed showing him five or more user built trails. All of those trails have been adopted at this point.

While we were hiking the trails Doug would have his trusty go to Sedona Soils Chart As Related to Trail Construction. This chart indicates were different types of soil are located in Sedona. The chart indicated not sustainable to sustainable with about three different types in between.

So I am assuming at the meeting the hydrologist is going to explain why certain new trails CAN"T BE BUILT in certain areas. For example let's say some stupid mountain biker wanted a trail on the side of a sand dune, No Way Charlie.

With the recently adopted user built trails a number of those were built in unsustainable soil areas, but they did get adopted. f they had never been there to begin with it would have been, No Way Charlie also.

So now we have about 70 miles of unadopted trails left to see if they are sustainable and not routed over arch sights. Those trails are more sustainable then the ones that have been recently adopted, so no problem we are home free.

Whoa Charlie not so fast , there may be a whole new motivation going forward. We know it's possible to adopt anything close to being sustainable, just look at Chuck Wagon, Easy Breezy, Slim Shady, Made in the Shade and Highline.

So my question to the hydrologist at the meeting is which of the above trails would have never been built from scratch if they weren't already in place? With a trail in place you can actually go out and see how the trail is holding up heavy user use. If it is a piece of crap trail several years old, it is pretty obvious that it isn't going to hold up longterm.

Then again the FS has adopted Highline which all us higher skilled riders love to ride. There is noway the backside is sustainable, but hopefully it is maintainable. Hopefully guys like Plumber Phil and Lars are going to adopt that trail to keep it in OK condition, otherwise long term the backside is not going to hold up IMHO.

On a go forward basis, how many NEW non-user built maintainable, but not sustainable trails is the FS going to be willing to be built. It will certainly be based on how the backside of Highline turns out. That fractured rock on the backside is going to constantly break out one chunk at a time multiplied by a lot of riders is a lot of chunks dislodged.
    Hahahahaha i'll have you know that my rep was 197 before they stripped us heavy hitting crew to give it to deviates like you hehehe, and dont forget me keeping your head above water every two weeks with 190 odd rep points, you owe me TD lol.

Im one of the few guys here that knows how TD operates in these threads cause most of us aussies have pretty strong inbuilt ******** detectors lol

But you know i love your passion mate, you just keep sucking them in and i love every second of it.

When i read this thread i knew exactly where it was going and i knew you knew it too lol
    love your banter mate, keep it up mate, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You two just love giving each other hand jobs.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Hahahahaha i'll have you know that my rep was 197 before they stripped us heavy hitting crew to give it to deviates like you hehehe, and dont forget me keeping your head above water every two weeks with 190 odd rep points, you owe me TD lol.

Im one of the few guys here that knows how TD operates in these threads cause most of us aussies have pretty strong inbuilt ******** detectors lol

But you know i love your passion mate, you just keep sucking them in and i love every second of it.

When i read this thread i knew exactly where it was going and i knew you knew it too lol
    love your banter mate, keep it up mate, cheers
    Tone:

You don't know how much I appreciate everything you have done to support me. You are a fan of one, and that means a lot to me in my declining years. You mate are very special. It's amazing how mountain biking can bring like minded people together many thousands of miles from Sedrama.

Do you know my buddy Phil Hystek, we use to fly our hang gliders over Mt. Whitney in the mid 80's. He operates down under these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-phil-hystek.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Tone:

You don't know how much I appreciate everything you have done to support me. You are a fan of one, and that means a lot to me in my declining years. You mate are very special. It's amazing how mountain biking can bring like minded people together many thousands of miles from Sedrama.

Do you know my buddy Phil Hystek, we use to fly our hang gliders over Mt. Whitney in the mid 80's. He operates down under these days.
    Very kind, but you not in your declining years mate, you are in the glory days, i mean you should be able to do a few more things before your 90 in a couple of years lol
    I see you passion TD, its a rare gift, i also see the humorous and witty side of you mate that a few others fail to see, and you never give up on anything ive seen, people think they are derailing your threads but you just keep going, you are underailable mate, your like a runaway steamtrain that cant be stopped, and its that quality that i love about ya mate

And no dont know your mate Phil, but i'll put the name into the memory bank mate

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    You two just love giving each other hand jobs.
    Already tried it, but we came to the conclusion that i would need a very tiny, midget like hand and TD would need a very large almost yeti or orangutang style hand.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Already tried it, but we came to the conclusion that i would need a very tiny, midget like hand and TD would need a very large almost yeti or orangutang style hand.....
    haha! ok that is pretty good!

mtbr member
    That isn't what is going on. It's more like people have been hi jacking all of his threads and turning the discussion into something else because we just don't care any more to here about bs Sedrama. Have a vegemite sandwich or something.
    2 shots of bourbon, a shot of triple sec, a shot of vermouth, and a shot of lime juice shaken and poured neat. 4 of these and this thread will make sense again.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm wondering now if it's common practice to circumcise infants in Australia? The answer could explain the compatibility between you and traildock.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Shovel Ready
    That isn't what is going on. It's more like people have been hi jacking all of his threads and turning the discussion into something else because we just don't care any more to here about bs Sedrama. Have a vegemite sandwich or something.
    Doh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey TD if you want to clarify your "SIGHTINGS" question from Travis' presentation, here is the link:
    https://docs.google.com/a/vvcc.us/fo...m5FSnRVd0tnMlk

Also here is the link to the whole RTCA folder: https://docs.google.com/a/vvcc.us/fo...wxYks2NUk/edit

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freak-a-zoid View Post
    Hey TD if you want to clarify your "SIGHTINGS" question from Travis' presentation, here is the link:
    https://docs.google.com/a/vvcc.us/fo...m5FSnRVd0tnMlk

Also here is the link to the whole RTCA folder: https://docs.google.com/a/vvcc.us/fo...wxYks2NUk/edit
    freak:

Thank you for providing Travis's presentation and the notes from the last meeting. After the meeting you, Patrick Kell and I went up to review my concern about Sightings. I said to Travis he had shown a picture of Cathedral (see picture) from the Highline trail. You said it wasn't from Highline it was from higher up the mountain.

Anyway Travis seemed to know what I was talking about and you and Patrick didn't seem to understand my concern about what the part in Travi's presentation about "Viewsheds" was about. I asked Travis to bring up his presentation so I could show you guys what I was talking about, so I could get it right and he chose not to do that. If he had done that I would have called it Sightings.in my MTR post I would have called it Senic Viewshed.

As you remember he brought up the Bell Rock formation parking area as another example of a scenic Viewshed. I remember what he said about that spot and why the tribal representative was concerned about it. Do you remember what Travis said?

During Travis's presentation when he got to the Viewsheds part he said he was concerned that when he meets with the tribal representative the representative has concerns about Viewsheds. To be honest I still am not clear on what the concern is about Viewsheds and why it was put in his presentation.

If you review the meeting notes you will see someone left a comment on their table commending Travis for trying to keep people off scenic viewsheds. That person had exactly the opposite reaction that I did. Also from the notes left on the table you get a feel for how some people who didnít get to express their feelings felt about the subject matter present at the meeting.
    OK after reviewing the notes and the questions that some of us asked at the meeting I note that neither question I asked about the erosion of Schnebly Hill Rd. and dumping of dirt on the rode by the Pink Jeep dump truck was recorded by Cate. Also I donít see my question to the SAR person about why maintenance of trails has to do with people getting lost. You remember he asked me if I had been on the Hot Loop trail or Jacks Canyon. I told him I had been on Jackís two years ago, and had no problem navigating the over grown trail. If you look at the FS handbook, I believe over grown is just fine for a wilderness trail.
    Anyway, I believe better signage is the most important thing in keeping people from getting lost. But, if you read the notes left on the table you get the idea that not everyone wantís signage. They want a more wilderness experience. Since the FS has been reluctant to sign trails in the past like the top of Doe Mesa, do you think they are influenced by the less signage comment in the table response?
    Also it seems like some like people feel the hikers need to get ďeducatedĒ so they donít get lost. Can you please share with us how much money that is going to cost and how many of the 600,000 visitors are going to show-up for class. Is the sign on Hot Loop effective, does anyone get lost there since the sign is up? If it is effective I guess it should be at every intersection, but I doubt that is going to happen, if people are still getting lost on that trail.

OK, in reviewing the notes I donít see the question that Ian asked at the end of the meeting. Do you remember that question? Can you please direct me to his question in the summary of the meeting? I think it was an important one donít you?
    I want to thank-you for providing this information and look forward to your answers. Sorry I didnít call Scenic Viewsheds by their correct term. I knew it had something to do with those great views so many of us enjoy and I hope to enjoy in the future on other new or adopted trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-cathedral.jpg  

What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-viewshed-1.jpg  

What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-questions-left-table.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 01-24-2013 at 11:22 AM.

banned
    OK, here are the other parts of the notes I referred to in my prior post. Obviously I am choosing parts of the meeting notes that I believe point out concerns I have about the notes not including all meeting attendees comments or questions that could affect the final planning process for the mountain biking community and the visiting hikers who love the mountain biking user built trails that may be adopted in the future.

Can someone tell me where the social trails are that are "above the stream". I know there is the Templeton trail, the Buddha Beach trail, Huckaby trail, and Allen's Bend trail that run along Oak Creek, but they are system trails. Is Janie talking about the Red Rock Crossing trail and all the braids off of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-biology-questions-2.jpg  

banned
    More stuff from the meeting regarding signing Hot Loops. should this signage be used at every trailhead? How about putting this same signage at the Hot Loops/Jacks Canyon intersection?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-over-signage.jpg  

banned
    Freak where is Ian's important question? I must have missed it in the notes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does SIGHTINGS Have to Do With An Archeological Presentation???-questions-left-table-2-b.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 01-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.

^^^ point proven, nothing can derail a TD thread, his like a steam train on a one way track, not even a bomb on the tracks could derail the TD steam train from chuggin along, nothing can deter him from his chosen topic, you gotta admire that about the man..

banned
    ^^^ point proven, nothing can derail a TD thread, his like a steam train on a one way track, not even a bomb on the tracks could derail the TD steam train from chuggin along, nothing can deter him from his chosen topic, you gotta admire that about the man..
    Tone:

Thanks for the post. I have done my best to discuss the scenic Viewshed issue in Sedona as noted in the #4 comment to the RTCA planning process. I am curious if any MTBR viewers looking at this thread have ever heard such a thing. I hope that during the next meeting I can leave comment that:

I don't laud the FS efforts to keep US Citizens off scenic Viewsheds.

If they want to keep non-US Citizens of scenic Viewsheds I could go along with that if the FS adopted all out user built trails that are in jeopardy of being closed due to being located in scenic Viewshed areas.

I would like to hear from others who feel the same way as I do or have the same position as one of the attendees did at the meeting. Hopefully I won't be considered a jerk for taking the position that as a US Citizen I should have the right to view any scenic Viewshed I consider to be a scenic spot.

If that is considered to be disrespectful of 77Rangers ancestors I apologize in advance, but I am not going to change my mind without some logical explaination why I am off base.

This is the Wikipedia definition of scenic Viewshed : Viewshed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4