mtbr member
    Jul 2013

What do you wear for Winter early morning or night rides?

Just curious what everybody wears. I don't really have any winter clothes, just arm warmers and would like some suggestions. I was thinking a windbreaker with removable sleeves with arm warmers, or long sleeve jersey underneath and a base layer under that. Is that enough for the Arizona cold?

Besides that, long tights, or leg warmers, wind proof gloves, ear warmer and toe warmers... Any other suggestions?
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    I wear an under armor base layer, and have a normal short sleeve over it. If too cold, I have a windbreaker riding jacket (I love the Pearl Izumi stuff). Pearl Izumi Cyclone gloves as well. If it is really chilly, I have PI tights that are wind / water proof and have a nice fleece lining. This setup also was used when riding sub 30's on a road bike. Baggys over tights on the mountain bike, though.
    Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.
-Grant Petersen

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    How cold is the Arizona cold? (Nebraska is on a different scale). Lower than 60 I tend to wear a heavy jersy or light windbreaker (preferably one that vents on the back side) down to 50. Below 50 I add tights, long finger (uninsulated) gloves, warmer socks and a wind vest (with the jersey, not the wind breaker). From 40 to 32 I usually wear a thin balaclava, cover my helmet with a lycra wind cover, wear the windbreaker over the jersey and add thinly insulated gloves and neoprene shoe covers (although Seal Socks work pretty good also). My wife still uses clips/straps on her pedals so we construct duct-tape pockets around the clips to protect her toes from the wind.

mtbr member
    Big beefy wool socks. basic cheap knit hat
    Below Par on the Gnar

How much further ???
    Well it was 5 degrees this morning at the Grand Canyon. It was 37 in Phoenix. Cold is cold no matter where you are.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastblack View Post
    Just curious what everybody wears. I don't really have any winter clothes, just arm warmers and would like some suggestions. I was thinking a windbreaker with removable sleeves with arm warmers, or long sleeve jersey underneath and a base layer under that. Is that enough for the Arizona cold?

Besides that, long tights, or leg warmers, wind proof gloves, ear warmer and toe warmers... Any other suggestions?
    I rode this sunday morning at 5:45 am to about 10:30 am. Figure 42 to 46 and dark then cloudy with a little sun later in the ride.

Shoes and socks normal
    Shorts with tights that have insulation
    Base layer long sleeve
    Normal long sleeve jersey
    Thin cycling jacket.
    Full finger glooves
    Insulated skull cap

I was a little cold to start, but once generated body head the jacket held in in. Got slightly warm on the climbs, but a little unzip of the jacket and I was good again. Zip up on the down hills. Legs were good and hands were a little on the cold side. Head was nice.

When I got home my base layer was almost soaked, but I did not feel wet when riding. So it wicked away the moisture. I maybe could have gotten by with one less layer on top, but I really don't like riding cold.

I have arm warmers and knee warmers for warmer conditions when I expect to get warmer mid ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I had hill repeats this morning, It was 34 when I left the house. Had PI shorts with long riding pants over. Long sleeve Voler jersey, arm warmers over sleeves, Specialized wind breaker. Gore-Tex ear/head warmer. The gloves I tested are the Seal Skinz and worked really good.

My feet; I had thin wool riding socks and the Gore-Tex over socks. Perfect combination. Clear glasses (riding before sunup) Was comfortable, never cold, but more importantly, never got too hot and sweaty.

Felt good to not have any "attitude" at Thunderbird park.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Sleeveless base, jersey, arm warmers, windproof vest, wool socks and I'm good down to about 40.
    Add knee warmers and toe warmers 35-40 and in the sun
    No sun or below 35, tights, long sleeve base, no vest -- either a long sleeve jersey over top or a windproof jacket.

I feel better in the cold, so ymmv

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    there is a scientific term for the temperature at which all my voluntary molecular activity stops,, its called absolute sixty

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    there is a scientific term for the temperature at which all my voluntary molecular activity stops,, its called absolute sixty
    Kelvin? Minus 200 C? Me too!

Got a suspension fork

DeFeet knee high wool socks, Stoic 200 merino wool light under layer, REI medium to heavy weight base layer, Jersey, wind proof shell, heavier and heavier gloves as the temp demands, and either my normal beanie cap or a balaclava

In fact I just happen to have a pix of myself geared up for a night ride last week.

What do you wear for Winter early morning or night rides?-screen-shot-2013-12-10-6.06.49-pm.jpg
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

slower than you
    Is that enough for the Arizona cold?
    I'm gonna assume you're not asking about northern Arizona cold. Nevertheless, I'm going to answer as though you had...

first of all, i have learned from experience to appreciate any piece of winter clothing that features gore-tex windstopper fabric. it does what it says on the tin and i think it's worth the extra money. other fabrics, such as thinsulate, don't even come close when it comes to keeping you both warm and dry. thus, the following might come off as a gore-tex commercial. but i assure you, i have received no compensation from gore-tex for this endorsement.

to the contrary, in fact; i've given them lots of my money.

for riding in cold-cold weather (let's say sub-40F down to maybe windchill 0F, just for drill) i tend to dress for cycling a lot like i dress for cross-country skiing, which, from head to toe goes something like this: gore-tex helmet cover, gore-tex ear or full-head cover, poly-pro or capilene base layer, gore-tex ride on jersey, gore-tex paclite shell, gore-tex spring-season weight gloves or full winter-weight gloves, poly-pro or real silk legging or knicker-length riding shorts, pearl izumi amphib tight, wool socks, gore-tex toe covers or full shoe covers.

that'll get you through most really cold rides pretty comfortably in my experience. however, your mileage may vary depending on the thickness of your blood
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm a real wimp in the cold weather and worse yet, sweat a fair bit. It's a constant game of temp control so I get enough airflow to stay dry. I've found wearing a merino underlayer works better for me that poly pro stuff...the poly pro stuff actually makes me feel colder! I'll put on a short sleeve merino, with arm warmers, a short sleeve jersey then a light windbreaker over the top. That works great in the 40 range but the windbreaker comes off quickly if I'm climbing. If it's around 30, I wear a lightweight puffy jacket, winter riding gloves, and a beanie hat....I've found warm head, hands and feet make all the difference to me.
    I've never tried gore tex stuff but will say, wool is awesome stuff and worth the $. Plus, it doesn't stink nearly like the synthetic stuff does.
    Anyway, all sorta depends on your internal thermostat...
    Oh, and I've also found if I'm comfortable in the first 5 minutes of riding, I'm dressed too warm...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm mostly worried about the 30s to low 40s as that's about as cold as it gets here. Dips into the high 20s every once in a while. I think a windbreaker would be good over what I already have along with some warmer gloves.

Has anybody ever tried the specialized deflect or element jackets?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

Ahhh the pain....
    I have a Montane Featherlight that I bought after seeing a friend of mine with one and how well he liked it. It's really lightweight at 4.6oz and I'm shocked how well it blocks the wind. It packs down to the size of a tennis ball. I think I paid around $65. I'd call it rain resistant, but NOT waterproof. I've been in a downpour in Flag over the summer and got wet.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

What do you wear for Winter early morning or night rides?

Tights. Under armor turtleneck thing, and short sleeve jersey. Below 40 throw on a long sleeve jersey over it. Bandana under the helmet - full finger gloves. Baggies in the winter - spandex in the summer

mtbr member
    I gauge how much to dress by if I feel warm while standing before riding. If I am just a bit too cold, then once I heat up on the bike is about right. If I am warm I end up taking off layers or sweating like crazy.
    For early morning/night riding here I will do an Underarmor shirt, jersey, arm warmers and bibs. If it is getting below 45 then a softshell jacket and leg warmers/wool socks.

livin' the dream......
    I add a polypro long sleeve base layer shirt and throw on some wool socks. I had some Nike running tights that I tied over my shorts, but got too hot and it was not comfortable. So now, it is just shorts no matter what the temp is!

Elitest thrill junkie
    45-20F, just my craft or blackbottoms pants, jersey underneath jacket, possibly one long-sleeved wicking layer under the jacket and ear warmers for the 20 degrees. You might be just a little chilly before you start moving, but any kind of effort and you quickly warm up and even have to open up these layers if you really start making heat.

15-5F, base wicking layer/long underwear and cheap nylon windbreaker pants, 2 long-sleeved layers under riding jacket or one extra thin layer and nylon windbreaker jacket instead of heavier riding jacket. At 15 a thin balaclava works fine. Closer to 5 the heavier one (about 3-4x thicker) is necessary. This is my commuting setup, so it's conservative for me and when I go out on the trails in these conditions I generally have to remove a top-layer.

0 - -15F, craft or blackbottoms under thin windbreaker pants, 2 long sleeved wicking layers and one short sleeved under riding jacket (not much changed from above, have to be careful to not overdo it, during hard outputs this may be too much), alternate setup seems to be ditch one of the long-sleeved layers and go with my heavier gore-tex shell jacket with a hood, need the heavier balaclava and possibly run a hood over it to boost the warmth.

<-15 F-that.

The single best investment I've made for riding in the cold? From Lake boots to heated insoles to various headgear, no question, it's the pogies. Such a warmth boost is a godsend and your extremities are the most important.

This morning was a little strange, I was expecting it to be warmer, but it was 10, not the biggest deal, but the wind was absolutely terrible. Haven't had a headwind like this yet, 20-30mph the whole way. I had my think base layer tights and nylon pants over (being able to trap air in an insulating layer is hugely important IME), for my upper layer I had one loose sleeveless wicking base layer, a sleeved wicking layer on top of that, a long-sleeved columbia base later, and my lightweight nylon running jacket on top. Wasn't cold, but the wind took me to the edge and it was one of the rare times when I had to go faster to keep warm (usually on my commute I have to slow down to avoid overheating).

What do you wear for Winter early morning or night rides?-gedc0271.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

livin' the dream......
    Strong work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    45-20F, just my craft or blackbottoms pants, jersey underneath jacket, possibly one long-sleeved wicking layer under the jacket and ear warmers for the 20 degrees. You might be just a little chilly before you start moving, but any kind of effort and you quickly warm up and even have to open up these layers if you really start making heat.

15-5F, base wicking layer/long underwear and cheap nylon windbreaker pants, 2 long-sleeved layers under riding jacket or one extra thin layer and nylon windbreaker jacket instead of heavier riding jacket. At 15 a thin balaclava works fine. Closer to 5 the heavier one (about 3-4x thicker) is necessary. This is my commuting setup, so it's conservative for me and when I go out on the trails in these conditions I generally have to remove a top-layer.

0 - -15F, craft or blackbottoms under thin windbreaker pants, 2 long sleeved wicking layers and one short sleeved under riding jacket (not much changed from above, have to be careful to not overdo it, during hard outputs this may be too much), alternate setup seems to be ditch one of the long-sleeved layers and go with my heavier gore-tex shell jacket with a hood, need the heavier balaclava and possibly run a hood over it to boost the warmth.

<-15 F-that.

The single best investment I've made for riding in the cold? From Lake boots to heated insoles to various headgear, no question, it's the pogies. Such a warmth boost is a godsend and your extremities are the most important.

This morning was a little strange, I was expecting it to be warmer, but it was 10, not the biggest deal, but the wind was absolutely terrible. Haven't had a headwind like this yet, 20-30mph the whole way. I had my think base layer tights and nylon pants over (being able to trap air in an insulating layer is hugely important IME), for my upper layer I had one loose sleeveless wicking base layer, a sleeved wicking layer on top of that, a long-sleeved columbia base later, and my lightweight nylon running jacket on top. Wasn't cold, but the wind took me to the edge and it was one of the rare times when I had to go faster to keep warm (usually on my commute I have to slow down to avoid overheating).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GEDC0271.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	854713

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    and remember, always practice safe brake lever

Over the Hill
    When cold it is merino wool head to toe and try to keep the heart rate down and not sweat. I sweat too much under gore-tex and only use it when being rained on.