mtbr member

What to do, what to do...

I started saving for a new road bike last year. My 2001 LeMond Zurich is long in the tooth, needs shifters (they rattle like a crazy) and a number of other general upgrades.

The good news is that I've saved about half of what I'll need and should be able to buy a new road bike next summer.

The bad news is, well, uhm, where do I start...

OK I'll start with the 29'er SS lust. I really want one, have been coveting several (this one in particular - http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...dragonone.html) and could buy one tomorrow in cash. The downside is that it'd nearly wipe out my bike savings meaning the road bike is another 2+ years away, plus...

My 2002 RacerX really needs some love right now, like a new wheelset, drivetrain, and general maintenance to fix that god awefull creak that is driving me freaking nuts on every ride despite the fact the 2 different bike shops can't fix the freaking squeak. This is several hundred worth of parts and service work. Or... I could just buy a new MTB. The downside is that I'd have to save another 6 months and then blow my whole bike savings meaning the road bike is three or more years away.

So what would you do?

Not a Barry supporter.
    Buy the 29er SS. You won't regret it.

I was in a VERY similar situation a few years ago. I had a Dean Ace (same basic ride as the Racer X) and was wanting to replace my Lemond roadie with a carbon one. I forked out the cash for the 29er SS and haven't looked back. Of course, I did get a steal on a Lemond Tete de Course off eBay which helped, but after riding the Dean 3X's in a year and a half, I sold it and haven't looked back. I've been SS exclusively for close to 2 years and have no plans to ride gears until my knees die.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Just Joshin' ya!
    My suggestion is to get a second job at a bike shop and get everything wholesale. Unless you already work at a bike shop. Then I recommend going to a fertility clinic to make some "deposits" to supplement your stash.

BTW, I am serious about the bike shop. I am thinking of trying to get a part time job at REI for the same reason!

I am only semi-serious about the fertility clinic.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Interesting suggestions.

The second job has crossed my mind but having less time is unappealing. I may go that route regardless.

I've also thought about buying the SS and selling the other two.

Kathleen in AZ
    That Dragon SS with the black flames is pretty cool! Go 29er, you will not regret it. I'm betting that you will soon have your RacerX on eBay and will be shopping for a 29er FS. As far as the road bike (and the 29ers also) - consider buying used - your $$ will go a lot further. SS, FS, and roadie - the perfect stable, made even better if the SS and FS are 29ers!

parenting for gnarness
    road and mtb offer different experiences and terrain.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Get the 29er SS and pick up a pair of extra wheels to throw some slicks onto.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Do you not like your road frame anymore? Why not just replace the parts that are worn out?

mtbr member
    Parts replacement on my roadie is something I've thought about. Even though the frame is 8 years old, it's Reynolds 853 and with the exception of some nicks there's nothing wrong with it. Except that after 8 years I'm sick of the look (paint job).

I thought about getting it painted, buying new wheels, and buying new shifters and a new drivetrain but when I add up all the upgrades I'm only about $500 short of a new, light carbon bike.

Incremental shopping you know...