Results 1 to 51 of 51
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961

    What Is The Current Progress Of The Flagstaff Heart Trail

    In light of the the change of the head of the USFS has the constructuction starting date of the Heart trail CHANGED or is it still on track? Does anyone know how much funding has been acquired to complete the construction of the four plus mile reroute?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    In light of the the change of the head of the USFS has the constructuction starting date of the Heart trail CHANGED or is it still on track? Does anyone know how much funding has been acquired to complete the construction of the four plus mile reroute?
    What does the new Chief of the USFS have to do with anything? Starting date is National Trails Day. https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...urday-in-june/

    If you are so concerned about the funding that you are compelled to post a thread about it then please feel free to donate to the cause. Donate to the Trail Maintenance & Construction Fund | Setting Wheels in Motion

  3. #3
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,019
    He just likes to ask questions.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    What does the new Chief of the USFS have to do with anything? Starting date is National Trails Day. https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nati...urday-in-june/

    If you are so concerned about the funding that you are compelled to post a thread about it then please feel free to donate to the cause. Donate to the Trail Maintenance & Construction Fund | Setting Wheels in Motion
    Thanks for the update. As far as the new head of the USFS goes, I thought there is a new policy change to not build trails unless they were funded in someway to not impact the underfunded USFS. Didnít he say a large percentage of National Forest trails are poorly maintained. I assume that applies to many of the Flagstaff trails.

    Good to hear the Heart trail is not affected by budget issues.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    He just likes to ask questions.
    He should probably just relax and enjoy that pudding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    He should probably just relax and enjoy that pudding.
    ra I knew you would respond to this post. You more than anyone have a lot of effort into this project. I would assume when itís completed you will have a sense of accomplishment due to your hard work and vision as to the finished product.

    If it never gets completed I would assume you will be kind of frustrated. I am sure you have learned a lot from working on the project. You are a better man then I am, I would have gone crazy by now.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    ra I knew you would respond to this post. You more than anyone have a lot of effort into this project. I would assume when itís completed you will have a sense of accomplishment due to your hard work and vision as to the finished product.

    If it never gets completed I would assume you will be kind of frustrated. I am sure you have learned a lot from working on the project. You are a better man then I am, I would have gone crazy by now.
    Why? The earth is still round and Trump is still your president so you should be happy. Unless your pudding doesn't stick to the wall I guess. I know how you like to poke fun at us poor Flagstaffricans and how we can't get trails built like you savants in Sedona. And get your facts straight. It's 8 miles of new trail and not 4.

    Timeline: July 2016; concept discussed with USFS Rec staff. Aug-Nov 2016; Scouting and flagging proposed alignments. Proposal submitted Jan 2017; April-Oct 2017; NEPA studies mainly concerning arch sites and birds. Feb-March 2018; 3 reroutes to address arch site concerns. May 2018; Pending USFS signed decision on Proposed Action. June 2018; Ground breaking ceremony on FBO volunteer event as part of National Trails Day.

    I thought you knew all about the PROCESS? Two years isn't too bad and I look forward to your donations to helping us fund the project. Sustainable Recreation. We get to pay for it now so bring it or we'll cut off your pudding supply.

  8. #8
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Why? The earth is still round and Trump is still your president so you should be happy. Unless your pudding doesn't stick to the wall I guess. I know how you like to poke fun at us poor Flagstaffricans and how we can't get trails built like you savants in Sedona. And get your facts straight. It's 8 miles of new trail and not 4.

    Timeline: July 2016; concept discussed with USFS Rec staff. Aug-Nov 2016; Scouting and flagging proposed alignments. Proposal submitted Jan 2017; April-Oct 2017; NEPA studies mainly concerning arch sites and birds. Feb-March 2018; 3 reroutes to address arch site concerns. May 2018; Pending USFS signed decision on Proposed Action. June 2018; Ground breaking ceremony on FBO volunteer event as part of National Trails Day.

    I thought you knew all about the PROCESS? Two years isn't too bad and I look forward to your donations to helping us fund the project. Sustainable Recreation. We get to pay for it now so bring it or we'll cut off your pudding supply.
    Prob won't see much in way of financial contributions, however open up a pit sh%$$er and he's all aboard.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Why? The earth is still round and Trump is still your president so you should be happy. Unless your pudding doesn't stick to the wall I guess. I know how you like to poke fun at us poor Flagstaffricans and how we can't get trails built like you savants in Sedona. And get your facts straight. It's 8 miles of new trail and not 4.

    Timeline: July 2016; concept discussed with USFS Rec staff. Aug-Nov 2016; Scouting and flagging proposed alignments. Proposal submitted Jan 2017; April-Oct 2017; NEPA studies mainly concerning arch sites and birds. Feb-March 2018; 3 reroutes to address arch site concerns. May 2018; Pending USFS signed decision on Proposed Action. June 2018; Ground breaking ceremony on FBO volunteer event as part of National Trails Day.

    I thought you knew all about the PROCESS? Two years isn't too bad and I look forward to your donations to helping us fund the project. Sustainable Recreation. We get to pay for it now so bring it or we'll cut off your pudding supply.
    Yes I have lots to be happy about. Thanks for the timeline on Heart project, compared to other new trail concepts presented to the FS yours is probably two years ahead of schedule. Sinatorj is right there won't be any money contributions from me, as always I would be happy to donate my time to construct the new Western Gateway trails.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    129
    Hey SB2; don't forget that you have the RED carpet waiting for you in Gold Canyon in November.
    You have done more than any visitor to build great trails for us in GC.
    Cheers.
    TS

  11. #11
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,019
    Bromance in full swing.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Boom! I'm super stoked.

  14. #14
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,191
    Sweet! Congrats to you guys for pushing and visioning and flagging this thing along. I'm very much looking forward to new loop options.




  15. #15
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,040
    SWEET!! I like the alignment of the reroute. Looks like it will be a fun route to ride, maybe even more fun that Little Bear.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

  16. #16
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,968
    Nice!! This is fantastic news.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    443
    Great..now my new Flagstaff Trails Map is going to be obsolete

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Great..now my new Flagstaff Trails Map is going to be obsolete
    It was obsolete anyway since some of the best trails are not system trails. There are a few folks (mainly hikers but also mtn bikers) who are not in favor of this project so we could use letters of support. Send your comments to: Kevn Lehto, District Recreation Planner. kblehto@fs.fed.us

    We have 6 volunteer events planned for the project this year so if anyone feels like building NEW trail instead of maintaining old, clapped out trail come on out:
    Trail Days Schedule | Setting Wheels in Motion

    We would like to hire a crew for some of it so here's a plug for donations. The USFS does not have any money. It all went to Fossil Creek. We're on our own. Donate to the Trail Maintenance & Construction Fund | Setting Wheels in Motion

    Trails designed and built by mtn bikers!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    443
    Looks like a great reroute, just may come up and lend a hand on trailwork days if I can pull myself away from the sweltering temps in Phoenix.
    Last edited by Azpilot; 05-09-2018 at 01:14 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Rock what does this mean? ďRealignment would been done using hand tools.Ē

    Is this like the FS is saying if you guys want this trail, either donate your own money to pay someone to dig the trail by hand or go out yourself and dig it by hand?

    How much money do you estimate you need to collect from riders who will use the trail, but donít have any time to help build it?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dsrt taco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    170
    Name:  Don't_Feed_the_Troll.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  37.5 KB

    Thank you.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    I just called my mountain bike buddy in Homer Alaska who is building an exclusive Mountain Bike Park there for riders who volunteered to build the trails in the Park. He said that the only ones who should be able to ride the NEW HEART are people who donate 100 hours of construction labor or pay a $1,000 donation for construction costs. He said if the MTC can get HEART built by April next year he will bring down his crew to work on HEART.

    We have a buddy who lives in Flag so we donít need a place to say. What a Country!

  23. #23
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I just called my mountain bike buddy in Homer Alaska who is building an exclusive Mountain Bike Park there for riders who volunteered to build the trails in the Park. He said that the only ones who should be able to ride the NEW HEART are people who donate 100 hours of construction labor or pay a $1,000 donation for construction costs. He said if the MTC can get HEART built by April next year he will bring down his crew to work on HEART.

    We have a buddy who lives in Flag so we donít need a place to say. What a Country!




    It doesn't matter what your buddy thinks, crawl back under whatever bridge you dwell under.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

  24. #24
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I just called my mountain bike buddy in Homer Alaska who is building an exclusive Mountain Bike Park there for riders who volunteered to build the trails in the Park. He said that the only ones who should be able to ride the NEW HEART are people who donate 100 hours of construction labor or pay a $1,000 donation for construction costs. He said if the MTC can get HEART built by April next year he will bring down his crew to work on HEART.

    We have a buddy who lives in Flag so we donít need a place to say. What a Country!
    Don't lie, you do not have buddies in Flagstaff

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Don't lie, you do not have buddies in Flagstaff
    He is the NICA coach who had thirty-five hardcore high school mountain bikers show up for his team. He actually works for ACE.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    So I am just trying to understand how the construction of an FS authorized system trail like HEART works in Flagstaff when the FS tells you they have NO money to build the trail, so its up to the volunteers and private funding.

    In Sedona when Plumber Phill and I got the go ahead to build the Aerie trail we started the project a day ahead of the actual approval which had taken five years or more. I immediately went to all my Sedona dirt bag mountain bike buddies and asked them to help. That was pretty much a waste of time, so I went to MTBR and asked for help. I got about ten people to donate their time one or two days. Helimech showed up with some of his buddies (Chris, etc.) from Prescott. Tomas showed up and helped a bunch.

    Anyway Plumber Phil and I did the majority of the work which we were happy to do because we wanted to show the FS that volunteers can do equal work to the FS standard. I guess you can say we were self-motivated. The FS was never wondering if progress was being made each day because I sent them a video each day of the work accomplished.

    One thing we did was complete the work to it final tread design each day, so we could ride to the end of trail each day. This allowed for speedy access to the work site and the actual packing in of the trail tread. We used our own personal tools, so we ditched them in a secret hiding spot after each days work. When you own your own tools you are much more responsible about where you left them, so you don't loose many.

    I am curious if there will be different strategies in the building of Heart. It's cool that the FS is setting up some volunteer workdays ahead of time, they never did that with Aerie. It will be interesting to see which user group shows up to do the majority of the work on Heart.

    Some people sent me some PM's, I currently have ten that I haven't looked at. I am in South Padre Island this week learning to kiteboard. Three or four Flagstaff mountain bikers are also here taking lessons. When I asked them about the OK on Heart they had no clue what I was talking about. Get the word out guys. What a Country!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    You certainly are a curious fellow. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

    As for advertising the word is out. If folks don't know by now it's because they are not tuned in or don't care. My guess is we'll have ~70 to 80 folks from different user groups show up for the kickoff on National Trails Day. What a country!

  28. #28
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,191
    I'll be there to the best of my ability....this is a BFD for Flag.....not sure why Switch wants to troll Flag getting something done for once....when Switch's MO is usually to troll Flag for not getting this type of thing done. I realize Switch has his politics which most won't get here and he has his own bone to pick.....but it's his own bone...and I'll be damned if we let someone cut our nose off to spite our face.

    I know better, ...but dammt Switch, ....seriously....lend some congrats. Dont go pissing on the best recent example of folks getting something done just because it happens in a place that struggles to get something done.....however that thing comes about.....it's getting done.

    Perhaps this is the leaf that is first turned. RA and Rock have put in work on this....and you want to troll the effort because of a beef on the policy side of things? Or politics? Or other reasons?

    Seriously?

    How about a hand for making something happen in a place where change is hard to come by? I'm not expecting gratitude....but at this point, silence would be acceptable.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-13-2018 at 07:51 AM.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    You certainly are a curious fellow. I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

    As for advertising the word is out. If folks don't know by now it's because they are not tuned in or don't care. My guess is we'll have ~70 to 80 folks from different user groups show up for the kickoff on National Trails Day. What a country!
    Rock that is going to be an awesome start. Will you be completing the tread where you start the 70 to 80 volunteers so the public can ride the trail in?

    If everyone builds 10í of trail that would be at least 700í of trail, hopefully more.

  30. #30
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Rock that is going to be an awesome start. Will you be completing the tread where you start the 70 to 80 volunteers so the public can ride the trail in?

    If everyone builds 10í of trail that would be at least 700í of trail, hopefully more.
    Make sure you get your 10' In. If necessary I'll donate a measuring tape so that the poor starving souls in Flagstaff don't get shortchanged. What a country!
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Make sure you get your 10' In. If necessary I'll donate a measuring tape so that the poor starving souls in Flagstaff don't get shortchanged. What a country!
    Sin will the FS at least let the volunteers finish off the trail segments each day, so the next volunteer group can walk the finished alignment (and pack it in) and wonder how it will ride when the whole trail is built, or are they starting construction in the middle and working to either end? It just seems more efficient to complete each section each day. With 70 builders you should be able to put the experienced builders like you, Josh and Vance on the difficult sections to "getter done". I know these might be some difficult questions, so maybe the answers are being formulated. What a Country!

  32. #32
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Sin will the FS at least let the volunteers finish off the trail segments each day, so the next volunteer group can walk the finished alignment (and pack it in) and wonder how it will ride when the whole trail is built, or are they starting construction in the middle and working to either end? It just seems more efficient to complete each section each day. With 70 builders you should be able to put the experienced builders like you, Josh and Vance on the difficult sections to "getter done". I know these might be some difficult questions, so maybe the answers are being formulated. What a Country!
    I would imagine most riders will ride the trail with the front wheel leading and the rear wheel close behind. I am also guessing that it will ride just like most bike trails in Flagstaff do. Nice and packed in when the monsoon is on, loose and dusty when dry. Up hills usually require some effort, while the downhills keep you on your toes... but I would hope you would already know this. If you feel that we up here in the High country are unqualified in proper trail building protocol, maybe you should park the Winnie at 164B and put your money where your mouth is. Shouldn't you be educating the 99% on how to kite surf right now?
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    I would imagine most riders will ride the trail with the front wheel leading and the rear wheel close behind. I am also guessing that it will ride just like most bike trails in Flagstaff do. Nice and packed in when the monsoon is on, loose and dusty when dry. Up hills usually require some effort, while the downhills keep you on your toes... but I would hope you would already know this. If you feel that we up here in the High country are unqualified in proper trail building protocol, maybe you should park the Winnie at 164B and put your money where your mouth is. Shouldn't you be educating the 99% on how to kite surf right now?
    Sin hopefully Rockman will do a video at the finish of the first dayís work as a promotional piece to share with the whole MTBR community. I know you have the construction part figured out. Hopefully if Rock takes pictures they will show volunteers actually building their 10í section and not leening on their trail tool of choice.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    The Flagstaff kiteboarders in South Padre Island treated me to dinner. I was not expecting that.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    The Flagstaff kiteboarders in South Padre Island treated me to dinner. I was not expecting that.
    Best post in the whole thread!
    Whatcha eat?

  36. #36
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,111
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Best post in the whole thread!
    Whatcha eat?



    Crow?
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Best post in the whole thread!
    Whatcha eat?
    Tube steak?
    Veni vidi velo!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post
    Best post in the whole thread!
    Whatcha eat?
    Calamari appetizer, freshly baked bread, fresh garden salad and yellow fin tuna over handmade pasta.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,259
    Silly old Drama Doc.......

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    ar looks like the drama might be the forest in the Heart trail area is shutdown prior to your National Trail Day kickoff. You guys should mobilize your volunteers and change the start date to this Saturday. I am sure the FS would support the date change considering how supportive they are of this project.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    ar looks like the drama might be the forest in the Heart trail area is shutdown prior to your National Trail Day kickoff. You guys should mobilize your volunteers and change the start date to this Saturday. I am sure the FS would support the date change considering how supportive they are of this project.
    You might want to stick with the kite boarding. The forest closure is going to affect a large part of Sedona.

    Besides it's a done deal. It was no small effort to get the mini-excavator up to Sunset. But don't you worry Switch we've got an ace card to play when the forest reopens.

  42. #42
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    827
    Trail building during monsoon. Gonna be sick. Keep that dozer handy.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    You might want to stick with the kite boarding. The forest closure is going to affect a large part of Sedona.

    Besides it's a done deal. It was no small effort to get the mini-excavator up to Sunset. But don't you worry Switch we've got an ace card to play when the forest reopens.
    That's a good idea rock. My new friend David Kumasaka says his kiteboard group heads over to Mohave Lake when the forest closes and they kiteboard until the forest opens back up.

    I am actually heading to Switzerland to mountain bike in June then heading over to Iceland for some trekking around the Country. Should be a nice summer.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    You might want to stick with the kite boarding. The forest closure is going to affect a large part of Sedona.
    Besides it's a done deal. It was no small effort to get the mini-excavator up to Sunset. But don't you worry Switch we've got an ace card to play when the forest reopens.
    Itís hard to believe the whole project is being built with a mini excavator. Seems like there might be a couple hundred yards of hand built sections. You guys are trail building experts. Were 70 to 80 volunteers going to be following the mini-ex? I would like a picture of that.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Itís hard to believe the whole project is being built with a mini excavator. Seems like there might be a couple hundred yards of hand built sections. You guys are trail building experts. Were 70 to 80 volunteers going to be following the mini-ex? I would like a picture of that.
    No, the mini-ex can only work until 9am because of stage 2 fire restrictions. The swaeco would have been better but it's being repaired. Anyway, might have one Hot Shot crew come out as well as the 3 person FS crew and perhaps 20 volunteers. We'll hand finish the 7 or 8 dips and drains that the min ex got done on the extended fall line section tomorrow and the rest of Sunset to U. Brookbank will be basic tread repair. De-berming, outsloping, and knicking. Cool? Have fun in Switzerland and Iceland. That sounds amazing.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    No, the mini-ex can only work until 9am because of stage 2 fire restrictions. The swaeco would have been better but it's being repaired. Anyway, might have one Hot Shot crew come out as well as the 3 person FS crew and perhaps 20 volunteers. We'll hand finish the 7 or 8 dips and drains that the min ex got done on the extended fall line section tomorrow and the rest of Sunset to U. Brookbank will be basic tread repair. De-berming, outsloping, and knicking. Cool? Have fun in Switzerland and Iceland. That sounds amazing.
    That is interesting that using a hot shot crew and three FS employees is considered a non budget expense. Seems like you could just use them all summer when there are no fires to build the entire trail. What a Country!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    443
    Rockman, is that land swap giving Coconino NF land to the state a dead deal ?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Rockman, is that land swap giving Coconino NF land to the state a dead deal ?
    Tabled for now but the feds still owe the Hopi Tribe land/money along the I40 corridor. Complicated situation. Doubt we'll see it resolved anytime soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    That is interesting that using a hot shot crew and three FS employees is considered a non budget expense. Seems like you could just use them all summer when there are no fires to build the entire trail. What a Country!
    Boris would be pleased. The Hot Shots crew did show up. Not sure how the move the budgets around so that they can help out on a recreation project but we were sure glad to have them. We addressed a half mile of trail that hadn't had maintenance since the early 2000s.

    What Is The Current Progress Of The Flagstaff Heart Trail-hot-shots.jpg

    I think these rubber water bars were installed in 2003 by Boris and his USFS crew.

    What Is The Current Progress Of The Flagstaff Heart Trail-water-bar-bypass.jpg

    What Is The Current Progress Of The Flagstaff Heart Trail-water-bars.jpg

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post



    Boris would be pleased. The Hot Shots crew did show up. Not sure how the move the budgets around so that they can help out on a recreation project but we were sure glad to have them. We addressed a half mile of trail that hadn't had maintenance since the early 2000s.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot Shots.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	1199261
    Will the hot shot crew be able to do more trail maintenance during the non fire days?

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water bar bypass.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	1199262

    I think these rubber water bars were installed in 2003 by Boris and his USFS crew.
    Brad (who is an amazing history source) says the rubber strips were once part of the conveyor belt at the Peabody Coal Mine. Nice way to recycle!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Will the hot shot crew be able to do more trail maintenance during the non fire days?
    No say. Let's hope for more non-fire days.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
  2. Progress is.... well progress
    By kinsler in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  3. Flagstaff trail velcro: Work In Progress
    By tpvet73 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 09:26 PM
  5. Flagstaff to Sedona and back up to Flagstaff
    By BEATCOLLECTOR in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 146

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.