mtbr member
    Oct 2016

What Is The BEST New Trail In The Area You Normally Ride?

MTBR AZ postings seem pretty lame lately. Does anyone have a new trail in their area that you think MTBR viewers might enjoy?

Maybe some folks have done a video or have pictures, they could share of Something New.

mtbr member
    Hoo Doo. Gold Canyon.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Hoo Doo is a blast, hard and fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Hoo Doo is a blast, hard and fun
    I look forward to checking the route out with TS, when he returns from the far north. I was hoping there would be a video of the whole route.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    I did not enjoy Hoo Doo. Nice effort, but too much exposure for me. Well off camber rock that a slip would take you into cholla is a no go for me. I made the mistake of riding it with hard sole shoes. Plus tires would help. I ride 2.3s. You can always turn around when you see something you don't like. I ride by it on my way to K now.

Phantom is easily the best new trail at GC for me. I get off the bike in a couple of spots and don't ride Froome. (Went up there once. I'm sure it's quite fun for those that ride it.) Phantom is lots of fun and has a drop that you can ride as fast as you want. I roll it. Haha.

Another new option that I quite like is at Hawes, slogging up Cactus Garden and hiking up the last half of Goat Trail gets you a 4.5 mile super fun cruisey downhill down d'Huez, through NRAland and down Wild Horse. Nothing technical at all but fun. Then some ups and downs to finish Wild Horse and a nice steady climb up to Twisted. Then out however you want.

mtbr member
    Phantom and Where You Fromme are really fun too! They are a great add-on to K Trail system.
    AKA: G-wat

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I love that new trail called, Not Telling the Internet at Nowhere Trail System.

Hoo Doo is pretty darn cool though. So is Phantom.

Who took my gears?
    Not sure if it is considered "New" anymore, but the Lake Pleasant trails don't seem to be ridden that much by the people I follow on Strava. Really good stuff.
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    cheers to that
    2016 SJ FSR
    2017 Tarmac

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    Not sure if it is considered "New" anymore, but the Lake Pleasant trails don't seem to be ridden that much by the people I follow on Strava. Really good stuff.
    dirt are there any online videos of those trails you are referring to?

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    dirt are there any online videos of those trails you are referring to?
    A quick youtube search for "lake pleasant trails mountain biking" turned up a few...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobjJ3HT4mU

Also going to be out there riding starting at 6:30AM SHARP on Sunday morning, if you want to join us... Here is the route. Zoom in to see where we are starting. Fairly brisk pace, but it is an out and back so, if you can't keep up (don't know your skill level) you can just turn around https://www.strava.com/activities/1019343071

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Last time I was out at Lake Pleasant a few weeks back the bridge at Pipeline Canyon was removed again and water was too high to cross, not sure if level is down enough now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    A quick youtube search for "lake pleasant trails mountain biking" turned up a few...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JobjJ3HT4mU

Also going to be out there riding starting at 6:30AM SHARP on Sunday morning, if you want to join us... Here is the route. Zoom in to see where we are starting. Fairly brisk pace, but it is an out and back so, if you can't keep up (don't know your skill level) you can just turn around https://www.strava.com/activities/1019343071
    dirt I watched the 14 minute video and was mesmerized. The trail didn't look new, but looked like a fun ride for beginners or fast riders (which I am not). Have fun Sunday.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    dirt I watched the 14 minute video and was mesmerized. The trail didn't look new, but looked like a fun ride for beginners or fast riders (which I am not). Have fun Sunday.
    Some of the stuff out there has been there for awhile, but most of the stuff that connected it all together to make it possible to go out there and get a decent ride in, is less than 2 years old. It is probably not for beginners, as there is lots of climbing, and there is also a fair amount of technical(ish) stuff on the north end (loose babyhead rock garden that seems to go on for ages). There is also some really fun fast downhill

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    bear foot to pine trailhead.

i think it's milepost 270, or is it 267 where the entrance is on hwy 87 before Strawberry. It's just a dirt pullout on the right. I park at the pine trailhead and ride the highway up.

When you go through the gate, go right (south-ish) up the powerline road for a hundred yards or so, till you see the rock stack marking the trail. Go right.

The trail parallels the highway, then crosses the powerline trial again before heading east towards pine creek canyon. It's a nice ride, but not great for the first few miles. Some grueling, boring climbs, and twisty, loose desscents. But keep going the best is yet to come. Past the water tower is mostly downhill (fun!) to the foot bridge. Go right (south) at the foot bridge, and follow the newer parts of the well-marked trail to the pine trailhead. There is a bit of climbing, but it's well made switchbacks. Enjoyable climbing if you're even semi-legit. But climbing none the less.

Once you pass the Good Enough trail (don't take it, it's miserable), lower your seat post for some beautiful entry-level enduro to the Pine Trail head.

Proceed to the wood fired pizza grill and order pizza. Plan to eat in the back of your truck at the trail head, as they never have enough seating. The new mexican place in pine on the right is pretty good, too.
    Last edited by deerkiller; 07-24-2017 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    a few pics from the last ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Is The BEST New Trail In The Area You Normally Ride?-0708170838.jpg  

What Is The BEST New Trail In The Area You Normally Ride?-0708170732.jpg  

What Is The BEST New Trail In The Area You Normally Ride?-pine-creek-mtb.jpg