DFL>DNF>DNS

West Valley: Sun Circle Trail beta needed.

I was checking out this map of the Maricopa & Sun Circle Trails and see on the west side there are dashed lines for future trails along the Agua Fria & Salt Rivers. Can someone chime in if those dashed areas are already a pathway just not officially designated as part of the Sun Circle Trail? It appears like a pathway exists via satellite imagery, but that's not always the case.

I'd like to do a full loop of the Sun Circle Trail from Queen Creek in the next couple of months, seems like a cool way to meander through the city.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    From an article I am reading from a few months ago, it shows that the only section of the Sun Circle Trail that is not complete is the section from southwest of 101 and Grand, into Estella park, to where it meets with the Maricopa Trail in South Mountain. The article is from May. It says the whole trail will be done in 2015, could not find anything in the article saying when specific sections would be done though.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

DFL>DNF>DNS
    That's precisely the section I'm talking about. Aerial maps seem to show some 'trails', i.e. pathways through that corridor. Anyone commute through there? Any locked gates, fencing, that sort of stuff. I'd prefer to stay off the pavement whenever possible.

There are a few breweries along this route, it'll be the Sun Circle Brewery Tour!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Don't believe the Hype...
    There's alot of gravel pits/concrete plants along that section that are somewhat fenced off. But you should be fine if you ride along the "service road"/ Pole fence that's runs along most of that section.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    The path is paved from Bell Rd. south to Olive ave. There is a fence there that is 3 feet high and can be hopped over. From there it looks like broken pavement and gravel to at least Glendale rd... Did it on my roadie and kind of gave up because I didn't want a flat.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Glendale South to Indian School is about the same. At Indian School you can drop into the riverbed and head south until you get past the concrete plants (on both sides), but I would only do that on the weekend when it's dead. Lots of Big Equipment moving during the week. Overwise you need to cut through 'Garden Lakes' Subdivision, ride east to 111th ave, then right on Avondale Parkway to Thomas, head west back to the river. From there it dumps you out at Avondale Friendship Park. Cut through the park and you can go under I10. From there on south it's Adventure time. Some sketchy looking areas, but nothing I would worry about. Watch out for Trolls under the Bridges There was a colony of them living under MC85 a couple years ago that Avondale PD evicted.

www.krackedskulls.com

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for the info, definitely something that I wouldn't have known. I'll start drawing in a track this weekend to see how it shapes up. I'll post it up & make any recommended changes.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

I live in Garden Lakes so I know the area well. That section will def take much long than the rest, but it will be interesting. Worse case you have to go a little out of your way in some sections.

FYI- at 99th and Northern, just East of the river is a Sand Bar and BJ's Brewhouse if you need a Beer and Westgate is less than a mile from the river and Glendale.

I might do some scouting South of I-10 this weekend...

www.krackedskulls.com

I am Bob
    John,
    BrianC and I rode National Trail, hooked with the Maricopa trail, rode that through Tres Rios and over to Estrella last year. I think BC has a track of it if would help. Get him on FB. He's not on here much lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just got back from the section that runs Camleback to Thunderbird, and Rio Vista park at the loop 101 and Tbird.
    I went up the canal bank from 107th and Camleback north. Then it passes across a farm field just south of Glendale Ave. Cross over Glendale ave and follow the dry~ish New River. Stay on the West side of New river though, the East side, closer to 99th ave, has several fences that you cannot get over. The West side has just a couple of short ones. Around Northern ave, just south of Olive the trails joins the New River Trail system, which is well paved up to Deer Valley, or at the Rio Vista park, moves across Glendale and into Phoenix.