Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,151

    West Sedona loop recs

    Looking for a fun 10-15 mile ride out on the west side of Sedona. Never ridden this side of town and haven't ridden anything in the Sedona area in probably a couple years. I'm more about getting to the top and bombing down but I don't mind to climb as long as it pays off. Fast flowing DH with some tech mixed in a la National/Mormon would be fantastic. I have the Trailforks app so if you can just provide trail names and maybe where to park that would be awesome. Cheers!

  2. #2
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    757
    Girder and 2 fences. Can't lose

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RajunCajun44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,715
    stay off the south end of Girdner... do not access this area from 89A... The south part of Girdner sucks ass..

    Also on the southern most portion of cockscomb, there is a turn off onto the Western Civilization trail that appears to be cockscomb itself..... If you see that the cockscomb rock is west of you, you are no longer on cockscomb -- turn around go back to get back on cockscomb...

    My favorite trails in this area are cockscomb and chuckwagon... the rest of the trails are all awesome.... about the same... just go out there and ride.. bring a map..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,063
    "fast flowing DH" and Sedona together don't exist IMO. Parts of Aerie are flowy but nothing like National. Here's a 13 mile loop over in West Sedona from the MTB Project app....

    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7003838

    If you've never been down Canyon of Fools off Mescal, I suggest checking it out. It's essentially a drainage that's bermed out with plenty of hits and rocks to pop off of.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:01 PM.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

  5. #5
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks all! Keep em coming.

    I think k2's loop is the sort of riding I like. I understand there are no real sustained DH but just giving you an idea what I like to ride.

    I was looking at COF and want to try and figure that in somehow...sounds like a hoot.

    Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard

  6. #6
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,440
    When are you going up? You can kinda loop Chuckwagon and Mescal together. Run back around onto Mescal again, but drop down COF.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    244
    If you venture to the southside of 89a, park at trailhead by high school and roll down Scorpion/Pyramid (fun DH), then Old Post to Caroll Canyon to Ridge to Sketch to Ridge, catch road back to Old Post up to Skywalker back to TH.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crushinit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    69
    COF and Chuckwagon are my favorite on the wesside.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

  9. #9
    Ridin bikes is fun
    Reputation: surfndav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    782
    Another vote for Canyon of Fools, short but fun. Next time I'm there I think I'll ride it several times.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    354
    Chuckwagon>Long Canyon connector>Mescal>Dead Mans Pass>Aerie>Cockscomb>Dawa>OK>AZ Cypress>Snake>Girdner>C Wagon>car.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    "fast flowing DH" and Sedona together don't exist IMO. Parts of Aerie are flowy but nothing like National. Here's a 13 mile loop over in West Sedona from the MTB Project app....

    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7003838

    If you've never been down Canyon of Fools off Mescal, I suggest checking it out. It's essentially a drainage that's bermed out with plenty of hits and rocks to pop off of.
    Just did this West Sedona loop from MTB Project this morning. Great ride with great views, just leave early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Also saw this awesome sign during the ride. I took the "difficult" route.

    West Sedona loop recs-img_2215.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by chicodecali View Post
    Just did this West Sedona loop from MTB Project this morning. Great ride with great views, just leave early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Also saw this awesome sign during the ride. I took the "difficult" route.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1144934

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Believe it or not, there isn't much difference.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by chicodecali View Post
    Just did this West Sedona loop from MTB Project this morning. Great ride with great views, just leave early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Also saw this awesome sign during the ride. I took the "difficult" route.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1144934


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The EXTREME route was created about 25 years ago by the Nod and Rama Jon. When the USFS decided the whole trail was worthy for multi use about five years ago the new DIFFICULT route was created. Since the trail is multi-use some CONCERNED hikers turn around at that spot.

  14. #14
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    887
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    Cockscomb (around the southwest loop) to
    Dawa (little left from Cockscomb) to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    Girdner straight back to parking lot
    About 16-17 miles if I remember correctly.
    GREAT ride...have taken many guests on this route with rave reviews.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  15. #15
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    Cockscomb (around the southwest loop) to
    Dawa (little left from Cockscomb) to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    Girdner straight back to parking lot
    About 16-17 miles if I remember correctly.
    GREAT ride...have taken many guests on this route with rave reviews.
    This looks fantastic too. Thanks BS!!!

    Heading up on Fri afternoon and will hopefully get a ride in on both sat and sun. This area looks like a ton of fun!

    Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    This looks fantastic too. Thanks BS!!!

    Heading up on Fri afternoon and will hopefully get a ride in on both sat and sun. This area looks like a ton of fun!

    Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard
    D that is a fun loop for sure. If you are interested in doing a shuttle run of all the downhill Sedona trails let me know. I provide FREE shuttles to those riders that are looking for the best of what Sedona has to offer. PM me if your interested.

  17. #17
    I love bike!
    Reputation: dsittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    D that is a fun loop for sure. If you are interested in doing a shuttle run of all the downhill Sedona trails let me know. I provide FREE shuttles to those riders that are looking for the best of what Sedona has to offer. PM me if your interested.
    Thanks for the offer SB2 but I think I'll pedal around this world class destination.

    Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    Cockscomb (around the southwest loop) to
    Dawa (little left from Cockscomb) to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    Girdner straight back to parking lot
    About 16-17 miles if I remember correctly.
    GREAT ride...have taken many guests on this route with rave reviews.
    Great route suggestion!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Thanks for the offer SB2 but I think I'll pedal around this world class destination.

    Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard
    D how did the ride go? My wife and I where our on some of the trails this morning that you said you would be riding. We saw one guy in a red jersey and one Tarzan rider with no shirt.

    Tomorrow we are doing the Two Fences to Sedona Pines if your interested. We do shuttle back from Sedona Pines and normally throw in Special Ed/Pyramid/Witch Doctor as dessert. Hope you enjoyed the Sedona trails. Should be a little cooler tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. West End Trails Alliance and West End Chapter of COPMOBA's website
    By prkoski in forum Vacations & Destinations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 09:21 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2016, 11:27 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 02:46 PM
  4. West Fork Trail (WV rail trail - West Fork Greenbrier River)
    By FrankNbike in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Members who have read this thread: 91

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •