I love bike!

West Sedona loop recs

Looking for a fun 10-15 mile ride out on the west side of Sedona. Never ridden this side of town and haven't ridden anything in the Sedona area in probably a couple years. I'm more about getting to the top and bombing down but I don't mind to climb as long as it pays off. Fast flowing DH with some tech mixed in a la National/Mormon would be fantastic. I have the Trailforks app so if you can just provide trail names and maybe where to park that would be awesome. Cheers!

The .05 percent
    Girder and 2 fences. Can't lose

mtbr member
    stay off the south end of Girdner... do not access this area from 89A... The south part of Girdner sucks ass..

Also on the southern most portion of cockscomb, there is a turn off onto the Western Civilization trail that appears to be cockscomb itself..... If you see that the cockscomb rock is west of you, you are no longer on cockscomb -- turn around go back to get back on cockscomb...

My favorite trails in this area are cockscomb and chuckwagon... the rest of the trails are all awesome.... about the same... just go out there and ride.. bring a map..

mtbr member
    "fast flowing DH" and Sedona together don't exist IMO. Parts of Aerie are flowy but nothing like National. Here's a 13 mile loop over in West Sedona from the MTB Project app....

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7003838

If you've never been down Canyon of Fools off Mescal, I suggest checking it out. It's essentially a drainage that's bermed out with plenty of hits and rocks to pop off of.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 07-03-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

I love bike!
    Thanks all! Keep em coming.

I think k2's loop is the sort of riding I like. I understand there are no real sustained DH but just giving you an idea what I like to ride.

I was looking at COF and want to try and figure that in somehow...sounds like a hoot.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using my keyboard

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    When are you going up? You can kinda loop Chuckwagon and Mescal together. Run back around onto Mescal again, but drop down COF.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you venture to the southside of 89a, park at trailhead by high school and roll down Scorpion/Pyramid (fun DH), then Old Post to Caroll Canyon to Ridge to Sketch to Ridge, catch road back to Old Post up to Skywalker back to TH.

mtbr member
    COF and Chuckwagon are my favorite on the wesside.
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

Ridin bikes is fun
    Another vote for Canyon of Fools, short but fun. Next time I'm there I think I'll ride it several times.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Chuckwagon>Long Canyon connector>Mescal>Dead Mans Pass>Aerie>Cockscomb>Dawa>OK>AZ Cypress>Snake>Girdner>C Wagon>car.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    "fast flowing DH" and Sedona together don't exist IMO. Parts of Aerie are flowy but nothing like National. Here's a 13 mile loop over in West Sedona from the MTB Project app....

If you've never been down Canyon of Fools off Mescal, I suggest checking it out. It's essentially a drainage that's bermed out with plenty of hits and rocks to pop off of.
    Just did this West Sedona loop from MTB Project this morning. Great ride with great views, just leave early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Also saw this awesome sign during the ride. I took the "difficult" route.

West Sedona loop recs-img_2215.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicodecali View Post
    Just did this West Sedona loop from MTB Project this morning. Great ride with great views, just leave early to beat the heat and bring plenty of water. Also saw this awesome sign during the ride. I took the "difficult" route.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1144934

Believe it or not, there isn't much difference.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chicodecali View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	1144934

The EXTREME route was created about 25 years ago by the Nod and Rama Jon. When the USFS decided the whole trail was worthy for multi use about five years ago the new DIFFICULT route was created. Since the trail is multi-use some CONCERNED hikers turn around at that spot.

Closekids.com
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    Cockscomb (around the southwest loop) to
    Dawa (little left from Cockscomb) to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    Girdner straight back to parking lot
    About 16-17 miles if I remember correctly.
    GREAT ride...have taken many guests on this route with rave reviews.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    This looks fantastic too. Thanks BS!!!

Heading up on Fri afternoon and will hopefully get a ride in on both sat and sun. This area looks like a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    This looks fantastic too. Thanks BS!!!

Heading up on Fri afternoon and will hopefully get a ride in on both sat and sun. This area looks like a ton of fun!

D that is a fun loop for sure. If you are interested in doing a shuttle run of all the downhill Sedona trails let me know. I provide FREE shuttles to those riders that are looking for the best of what Sedona has to offer. PM me if your interested.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    D that is a fun loop for sure. If you are interested in doing a shuttle run of all the downhill Sedona trails let me know. I provide FREE shuttles to those riders that are looking for the best of what Sedona has to offer. PM me if your interested.
    Thanks for the offer SB2 but I think I'll pedal around this world class destination.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Park at Vultee Arch
    Chuckwagon to
    Mescal to
    Aerie to
    OK to
    AZ Cypress to
    Anaconda to
    Great route suggestion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Thanks for the offer SB2 but I think I'll pedal around this world class destination.

D how did the ride go? My wife and I where our on some of the trails this morning that you said you would be riding. We saw one guy in a red jersey and one Tarzan rider with no shirt.

Tomorrow we are doing the Two Fences to Sedona Pines if your interested. We do shuttle back from Sedona Pines and normally throw in Special Ed/Pyramid/Witch Doctor as dessert. Hope you enjoyed the Sedona trails. Should be a little cooler tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post

I rode the mtb project west Sedona loop twice this weekend. I was dry camping off forest road 525 and the Aerie trailhead was about 4 miles away. Looking forward to hitting the other Sedona trails, but these were the closest and a great first experience of what Sedona has to offer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    stay off the south end of Girdner... do not access this area from 89A... The south part of Girdner sucks ass..
    How exactly does it suck?

We are going to be in Sedona for a week over Thanksgiving, staying in a timeshare that's very close to Sedona HS and the 89A end of Girdner and Last Frontier.

I'm a newby mountain biker, woman, and would say beginner to intermediate on a mtb. However, I don't mind getting off the bike and walking as needed. I was recently up in Tahoe, for example, riding with a more experienced friend and we rode the Tahoe Rim Trail from the Meadows to Marlette Lake which is rated a little harder on MTB Project app.

On the app,
    Girdner:
    30% intermed
    40% intermed to difficult
    30% difficult

vs Tahoe Rim Trail section I describe above:
    60% intermed to difficult
    40% difficult

I 100% appreciate that you have to take this difficulty ratings with a grain of salt and that there might be different things that are difficult about one trail vs the other. But having no local knowledge, its what I have to go on.

I would feel fine about going out solo on that section of TRT, just getting off the bike as needed.

It would be nice to be able to ride from the condo to be able to access those West Sedona trails, although my husband would for sure give me a lift to another ride start if I really should avoid Girdner down near the condo.

Planning on five days of riding in total, so I was thinking I might head out into the West Sedona area twice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    How exactly does it suck?

We are going to be in Sedona for a week over Thanksgiving, staying in a timeshare that's very close to Sedona HS and the 89A end of Girdner and Last Frontier.

I'm a newby mountain biker, woman, and would say beginner to intermediate on a mtb. However, I don't mind getting off the bike and walking as needed. I was recently up in Tahoe, for example, riding with a more experienced friend and we rode the Tahoe Rim Trail from the Meadows to Marlette Lake which is rated a little harder on MTB Project app.

On the app,
    Girdner:
    30% intermed
    40% intermed to difficult
    30% difficult

vs Tahoe Rim Trail section I describe above:
    60% intermed to difficult
    40% difficult

I 100% appreciate that you have to take this difficulty ratings with a grain of salt and that there might be different things that are difficult about one trail vs the other. But having no local knowledge, its what I have to go on.

I would feel fine about going out solo on that section of TRT, just getting off the bike as needed.

It would be nice to be able to ride from the condo to be able to access those West Sedona trails, although my husband would for sure give me a lift to another ride start if I really should avoid Girdner down near the condo.

Planning on five days of riding in total, so I was thinking I might head out into the West Sedona area twice.
    The ratings are misleading because Gridner is a long trail and some of it is really awesome.. look at this map
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3851975.pdf

Girdner from 89a north to Rupp is a lot of hike a bike in a wash with big river rocks.... Even for kick ass riders who love tech, its just not fun...

As soon as you reach Rupp, Girdner becomes a lot more ride able and at a beginner to intermediate level..

I would suggest riding the road 89A to Dry Creek north to the two fence trail... I have done that before and its a very fast and safe ride on the road...

You can also ride Last Frontier to Western Civilization to bypass the southern portion of Girdner... But only if you know how to do that.. you may get lost... And those trails are hard but a lot better than south Girdner..

here is last Frontier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_EXn-rOEHw

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The ratings are misleading because Gridner is a long trail and some of it is really awesome.. look at this map
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3851975.pdf

Girdner from 89a north to Rupp is a lot of hike a bike in a wash with big river rocks.... Even for kick ass riders who love tech, its just not fun...
    Thank you much.

mtbr member
    What he said^^^.

I've ridden Meadows to Marlette Lake in Tahoe and Sedona is a different sort of techy beatdown. Slower with less flow and lots of ledgy stuff.

From you condo dropping down Girdner and doing a CCW loop with Last Frontier is a good 2 hour ride. North of that on Girdner is where the suck starts. But it's pretty down in the canyon of Dry Creek and if you don't mind a bit of HAB it's really not that bad. Just slow-going.

Also, consider crossing 89 and hitting the trails in the Carrol Canyon area. A CCW loop with Scorpion>Pyramid>Ramshead>Secret Slickrock>Sketch>Ridge>Old Post>Skywalker is pretty dang good and generally not that many hikers.

Another good ride from your condo would be to head east from Thunder Mountain TH. A short spin on the road and then over to Teacup and the Soldier's Wash area trails. I like a CW loop in there with Javelina and Adobe Jack.

mtbr member
    Man sedona is going to be a zoo on the trails this weekend... I predict a lot of bike traffic...
    On a side note, it would be nice to have a more intermediate trail from 89A up to the cockscomb rock ... from the terrain, it looks very possible..

mtbr member
    Man sedona is going to be a zoo on the trails this weekend... I predict a lot of bike traffic...
    On a side note, it would be nice to have a more intermediate trail from 89A up to the cockscomb rock ... from the terrain, it looks very possible..
    There is. You could take Homeless Doug from Sedona Pines (or connect via L. Frontier) or climb The Donald.

Of note is the trail plan for the whole area will be coming out this winter. Once the arch studies are completed expect to see a decision on the Western Gateway Proposal that will adopt Western Civ/L. Frontier and add a few others.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd489165.pdf
    https://www.vvcc.us/news/5046126

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    There is. You could take Homeless Doug from Sedona Pines (or connect via L. Frontier) or climb The Donald.

Of note is the trail plan for the whole area will be coming out this winter. Once the arch studies are completed expect to see a decision on the Western Gateway Proposal that will adopt Western Civ/L. Frontier and add a few others.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd489165.pdf
    https://www.vvcc.us/news/5046126
    thanks... ill have to research those trails..

mtbr member
    sorry for the hijack ... Rockman ... is that Western Boundary trail built now ? What is it like to use to connect 89A up to the cockscomb rock... I know that the northern section of Western Civ. is fine for me..

mtbr member
    sorry for the hijack ... Rockman ... is that Western Boundary trail built now ? What is it like to use to connect 89A up to the cockscomb rock... I know that the northern section of Western Civ. is fine for me..
    Yes, the proposed Western Boundary trail is on a similar alignment as Homeless Doug. Or, a least it connects to Homeless Doug which technically runs between Sedona Pines and Western Civ. The West Dry Creek trail is in the general area of The Donald. There's a whole spaghetti network of social trails in there. Kinda reminds me of Brown's Ranch when it was known as Pima and Dynamite 100 miles of moto mess singletrack in the 90s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes, the proposed Western Boundary trail is on a similar alignment as Homeless Doug. Or, a least it connects to Homeless Doug which technically runs between Sedona Pines and Western Civ. The West Dry Creek trail is in the general area of The Donald. There's a whole spaghetti network of social trails in there. Kinda reminds me of Brown's Ranch when it was known as Pima and Dynamite 100 miles of moto mess singletrack in the 90s.
    Rather than calling trails in that area Social I would think they are more historic. During the open grazing era those trials were traveled by cowboys to check on their cows and fences. Many of the historic trails lead from and to the Old Homestead on Western Civ at the base of the Cockscomb formation. The last I heard the Historic Homestead is located of a 72 acre parcel of private property that is on the market for $12,000,000.