mtbr member
    Oct 2008

West Phx Trails Info (FINS, Estrella, White Tank)

I've tried the search function and it isn't working. And I went through the sticky and found it lacking. :-(

I'm looking to make a trip from Tucson up to west Phx the weekend of March 9-10.

So, I was wanting info mostly on Estrella Mtn Park. I realize there is the Comp Track on the east side of the park, but there seems to be a bunch of multi-use trails on the west side, too. Are these rideable? Fun? Suck? Crowded?

I'd also welcome any local riders willing to play tour guide. I'd gladly pay for post ride meals/drinks and happily play tour guide for anyone wanting to come ride Tucson.

TIA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Only real information I can offer is that March 9th the Estrella Comp Track will be closed for MBAA race. From what I hear, FINS is a fun place to ride. Not exactly sure where it is though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the heads up!

I know where the trails are and have maps for them all, but I've just never ridden any of them so was looking for some first hand knowledge of Estrella west and hopefully taggin' along with a local who knows the trails.

Plus size jersey model
    Did you read the sticky at least three times before you made this post? It clearly says ride SOMO instead its more better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Of course I triple read it...TWICE.

But, that's not where I'm going to be for the weekend, so SOMO is a NOGO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I live close to all these trails. Estrella is my least favorite. It's rocky and the climbs don't pay off with fun descents. But I've never ridden anything other than the comp loops. I like White Tanks but again I've ridden only the comp loops. It doesn't have a lot of big climbs until you get all the way to the back. The drops into the washes are pretty fun and you can get some good speed going down that you can carry into the uphill to climb out of the wash. White Tanks also has some nice flowy sections. FINS is my favorite west-side trail. It offers a little bit of everything. Murels Mile is pretty good for beginners, Grunt offers a challenging climb with a rewarding descent after you make it to the top and Harv's Howl is just plain fun to ride down. Plus now they have Kimurels Hurl which offers a bit of a downhill experience with wooden berms and jumps. I haven't gotten to ride that yet because I broke my wrist before it was finished and am just getting back to trail riding. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Think about doing the White Tanks Goat Camp Trail XC out and back. IMO one of the best rides in the PHX area. Take Mesquite Trail to Goat Camp. Climb Goat Camp to turn around point below towers on summit. Goat Camp back down to Willow Trail and Willow back down to Mesquite Trail. There is however a long hike a bike section down low that is a cover charge for the amazing trails above.

mtbr member
    Estrella loops are okay, I guess. FINS is great, and not far from Estrella. 10 west. Get off Estrella Parkway. Left (south) on Estrella. Go south for a while, several miles. You will pass a turn for Phoenix International Raceway. Keep going south, and eventually into another community. Keep going south on Estrella, through the light for Elliot (yacht club on right, with a tiny a$$ "lake"). Next light is Westar, go right. Elementary school on left, for weekend parking, or continue on Westar to trailhead on left. It looks like the site for a future road. If you are alone, it is well signed, so getting lost is not an option. If that doesn't do it for you and you want punishment, as stated earlier, white tanks, climb mesquite, and enjoy. Both great trails. FINS was a trail system made by bikers, and white tanks are the multi use type trails.

My other ride is your mom
    The HAB on Goat Camp XC is gone pretty much....buffed out. It's still a climb though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You can always use Google to search the forums....

site:forums.mtbr.com/arizona type whatever you're looking for here

mtbr member
    :madmax rode Estrella once. I must have taken a wrong turn though because I ended up in this rocky HAB territory and had to walk back down the mountain. Never been to FINS but I always wanted to ride Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
    Last edited by BCTJ; 02-25-2013 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is great info and the kind of stuff I was hoping to get from the AZ forum.

Keep it coming as all info is helpful.

Thanks again!!

mtbr member

West Phx Trails Info (FINS, Estrella, White Tank)

MBAA race will be going on the comp loops in Estrella on the 9th.

Doesn't get much more fun than hammering around FINS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If your a hard core mnt biker go ride goat camp in the white tanks. It has everything you want. Lots of climbing, lots of chunk and lots of downhilll if you ride it as an out an back. If your looking to hammer out a few easy but fun miles (15 or so ) go to fins. Nothing to tech but pretty fun. Most people dont like estrella, but its the closest trail to my house so i ride it often and like it. Nothing to tech but you can make a 15 mile loop if you do the long, tech and junior loops toghether.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Everything listed above is good info

I will be at Estrella on the 9th racing and White Tanks on the 10th on the comp track at 9am.. Taking the family out riding..
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7
    2015 Trek Stache 8