Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SamuraiBunnyGuy

it went BANG, and i was covered in stans...

was trying to get my first september ride in this afternoon around 5pm. i had just hopped on power line trail at hawes and was headed north. while climbing out of a wash i hear this sharp bang,, like when you make the popping noise with your finger in your cheek,, except 100x louder... i look down and i'm riding on my rear rim. the tire blew clear off the rim and was wrapped around my crank. luckily being only a few feet away from power road i could just walk the bike over to the shoulder to take a look. if this happened well into the trail i'd have been out there after dark

Photobucket

this was a brand new specialized captain tire purchased AND installed by DNA cycles only a few weeks ago (on a stans flow wheel i bought last october but only started using last month). this was to be my 4th ride with this rear wheel and tire... there was no damage whatsoever to the sidewall. even after using a rag to wipe all the dirt off the rim and tire, i couldnt get the tire seated again with a hand pump, and since i only lived less than a mile away, pulling out the stans factory rimstrip to throw in a tube would have just caused more work later. so i started walking back home. blind luck a pick up truck stopped a minute into my walk and offered my a lift back home.

i know i had that rear pumped up to about 28psi right before i left. maybe that was too low? or did i just happen to hit something just right that caused it to blow like that? Ive burped tubeless before last summer, but never anything so damn loud as this. plus the tire is usually still ON your wheel after a burp.

My other ride is your mom
    Poor/incomplete seat on the rim, too high psi.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i could still wiggle the tire a bit with my hand. 28 is too high? (this was a floor pump,, not a compressor reading, although i did buy one a few weeks ago when i redid my front) i know i've gone higher than that before.

if the seat is bad...it can still go boom

mtbr member
    Carefully inspect the beads. What I have seen happen on more than one
    Occasion is the bead get damaged during installation due to improper use of drop center (along with excess force). It is difficult to detect but sure can happen when the bead has yielded to the hands of an over eager tire installer.

This sounds impossible but I have encountered it on a dirt bike tire as well (twice in fact).

In my experience, the specialized tires seem to be very uniform and repeatably sized unlike
    Some of the cheapo tires.

I'm running the same rear setup right now I think. Is that a flow rim and a captain control 2.2?
    Check my pulse...

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    if the seat is bad...it can still go boom
    oh well,, since they forgot to charge me for one of the tires when i had my older wheelset trued,, ill let it slide and do the reinstall myself.

kinda put a damper the end of my day though. i'd be totally pissed if it weren't for...

NEW FOSTER BUNNIES MOSHI & YUKI FOR SEPTEMBER!! YAY!!!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    the tire was really easy to get back on the rim with just my hands (i just couldnt reseat it with the hand pump). I cant imagine they needed any excessive force at the shop when they first set it up that might have damaged it.

Give it a crank
    Scary! 28psi is normal pressure, maybe a bad gauge. If not, there's gotta be a good reason why that happened. Clean up the tire, mount it with a tube, and look over everything. That's really not supposed to happen!

mtbr member
    Devious little critters sabotaged it!

Lucky it wasn't the front when you were coming down mine trail or something.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    I've got a cheap floor pump from Dick's and it turns out, once I checked the PSI with a legitimate gauge, my floor pump reads 10 PSI low. Oops.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I've got a cheap floor pump from Dick's and it turns out, once I checked the PSI with a legitimate gauge, my floor pump reads 10 PSI low. Oops.
    the moral there is never use a ***** pump to inflate your bike tire...

i will use the compressor to get the exact psi when i install it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    The problem is the tire fits too loose on the rim. Usually specys fit tighter than that. Mounts easy, blew off the rim, sounds like the tire is at fault. Your pressure is fine. Tubless set-up likes a snug fit. Best-o-luck
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    the moral there is never use a ***** pump to inflate your bike tire...

i will use the compressor to get the exact psi when i install it tomorrow.
    It was made in Sweden. I guess QC is slipping. I don't even know why I bought it, that sort of thing ain't my bag.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Spesh has a 90 day no questions asked return policy. Return the tire & get a new one so there are no questions wether or not the bead is good. Install the new tire yourself.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I had something similar happen to me too. All in about four seconds, a broken spoke punctured the rim tape, and I'm guessing the speed I was going and the pressure in the tire, caused it to "blow" off the rim. Yep, I took a Stan's bath too...good times

Matt

it went BANG, and i was covered in stans...-tyre.jpg
    I should be out riding....

Registered Bike Offender
    28psi is definitely not too high. I've been using Specialized tires for years now and never had an issue. Must have been a freak thing.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Spesh has a 90 day no questions asked return policy. Return the tire & get a new one so there are no questions wether or not the bead is good. Install the new tire yourself.
    ^^^ This.
    Since the tire blew off the rim, it is toast, and it's bead should not be trusted.
    Have had a few burps, but luckily no blow-offs. PSI should've been fine, @ 210# run mine around 24(f) / 28(r).
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Dirt Bike Craig
    Something similar happened to me at Keystone. I slid sideways when the rear tire went around the outside of the berm & the front went inside. When I got to that sideways angle the front tire went BANG and threw me off the high side. A few spectators/hikers commented on how load it was too. No injury but like you I had sealant all over and had to walk down the rest of the run.

I captured it on video for those interested. The incident doesn't occur until around 4:15 but feel free to enjoy the whole thing.

Keystone, CO - 1080p from Craig Durkee on Vimeo.

Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i couldnt get the tire seated again with a hand pump, and since i only lived less than a mile away, pulling out the stans factory rimstrip to throw in a tube would have just caused more work later. so i started walking back home.
    You do not have to remove the stans rimstrip to put in a tube. Just removed the valve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    You do not have to remove the stans rimstrip to put in a tube. Just removed the valve.
    Must have been a conversion kit, which is a rubber strip complete with a valve.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    That would be goofy........a conversion kit on a Stans rim....

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Sure looks like the standard yellow Stans tape in the OP's picture!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    That would be goofy........a conversion kit on a Stans rim....
    Right you are, I didn't notice the rim.

How much further ???
    Wow. Makes me re-think getting anything other than UST rim/tire combos.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Sure looks like the standard yellow Stans tape in the OP's picture!
    Correct you are. I assumed....which we know what that makes me .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast