Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Wed ride at PSP (Phx sonoran)

Went to PSP today since I got off work early. Was tempted to do a lil longer ride but chickened out cause I didnt want to get stuck out there at night since I dont have any lights. Second time I've been out there and this time I took Desert Tortoise to Valle Vista to the longer section of Great Horned owl (no access to mtn top) to cactus wren and back to valle vista to the trail head. Was a good ride and took longer cause I stopped and took some pics. I would like to someday make it up hawks nest without having to walk but I am still not quite in singlespeed shape. All photos taken from my iphone

mtbr member
    Going there tomorrow morning, I am so lucky to have these trails 8 minutes from my house.
    Single speed up hawks is super tough.
    In the evenings I do the dixie loop, it's shorter and there bail outs in to nearby neighborhoods if I got stuck up there.

mtbr member
    I will be out there as well on Thursday afternoon about 3:45, providing I don't get hung up at work, I am about 3-4 minutes ride time from the hawks nest trail head

mtbr member
    What is the trail to get from the north end mountians to southern ones? I have parked at 7th Ave and Carefree hwy and taken those trails, but how do I connect to the more sourthern section of the park? I would rather do it on single track rather than cutting through the neighborhood streets.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    What is the trail to get from the north end mountians to southern ones? I have parked at 7th Ave and Carefree hwy and taken those trails, but how do I connect to the more sourthern section of the park? I would rather do it on single track rather than cutting through the neighborhood streets.
    Is this where you are wanting to go?

W Carefree Hwy to 33.770158, -112.100887 - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't think there is one yet. I live in-between the north & south end and spent a morning looking around. With all the construction going on building the road to Cave Creek there is no way to cross yet. There is only about a mile of asphalt that you need to take in the meantime.

mtbr member
    I agree, I dont think there is a connector, but you can start at the "B" location on the posted Google map, I use to start there all the time, but then moved into a house next to the mountains in Dynamite Mountain Ranch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah I really like those trails. Did the Dixie loop on Sunday and was fun as well. I cant wait for them to expand more. Its nice to find some trails that are close to me, other than pima and dynamite, at no extra cost.

I rode Go John this past weekend as well, which was great, but I got out there too late and the backside of the trail had some pretty touchy areas that caused me to walk but other then that, I enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDestroyer View Post
    I don't think there is one yet. I live in-between the north & south end and spent a morning looking around. With all the construction going on building the road to Cave Creek there is no way to cross yet. There is only about a mile of asphalt that you need to take in the meantime.
    I have looked at Google maps satalite view and can see dirt path, but not sure what it is actually like.

Might need to scout it out this weekend.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3...p=1&sz=17&z=15

According to Strava I have seen riders use path between the houses "A" , but I see another path "B" on the other side too.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kind of a bad picture, I apologize. The green area in the left, lower corner is the current sonoran preseve park.. the other is the currently built park in the north with trails as outlined. It think this the planned look, it looks like the connectors are there - although it may involve a pretty boring ride in a desert. It looks like an extension of desert tortoise trail going north.

If there are no connectors currently, they will certainly be there. Connectivity is a big prority for the park department. The trails of the northern part of the sonoran are supposedly being marked as we speak...

BTW, there is a connection from cactus wren loop going east towards cave creek ... maybe possible link to union hill loops. I am going to be exploring this winter for sure...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    maybe possible link to union hill loops.
    is this a trail that we can ride on? Sorry for being up to date on it but I thought any part of that Cave Buttes area was off limits?

What is this ride like? Just curious cause thats right next to my house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    is this a trail that we can ride on? Sorry for being up to date on it but I thought any part of that Cave Buttes area was off limits?

What is this ride like? Just curious cause thats right next to my house.
    That's just north of cave buttes...
    Last time I rode there was like 4-5 years ago. It was described in Cosmic Ray's book.
    It's not very exciting but it's a long loop.
    Isn't that state land ?, I remember cows grazing there...

I guess there is only one way to find out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I guess there is only one way to find out
    I concur

mtbr member
    I was out in Phx Sonoran Preserve this morning (9/28) 6AM - 7AM

what a great cardio trail ! did I run across anyone of you... I was wearing a yellow t shirt, white helmet, Cannondale hardtail...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    To get from Sonoran North to Sonoran south you can either:

Take any of the connector trails that go south to the paved sidewalk/recreation "path". Go west. Right before you get to the first neighborhood there is a jeep trail south of the new road. Follow it to the south. Eventually you will get to the wash, there are some baby head sized rocks that my daughter had trouble with but it's rideable west to the northern gate of the Sonoran Preserve.

Otherwise you can ride the path west to the construction gate. There is an area to the left of the gate that you can ride through. The first gated neighborhood to the south has an opening on the left side of their gate that leads to a neighborhood gravel MUP. Follow this to the south and it will take you to the northern gate of the Sonoran Preserve.

As for the Cave Buttes area; if you read Cosmic Ray's book he tells you how to purchase a permit. I sent in for a family permit, it wasn't very expensive. I haven't tried riding from Cave Buttes to Sonoran yet (or more likely from Sonoran to Cave Buttes) but probably will at some point as the weather gets nicer.
    Last edited by kf9yr; 09-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Looks like I will be exploring this connection and the southern end of park this Saturday morning.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Looks like I will be exploring this connection and the southern end of park this Saturday morning.
    Found it. Well sort of. I found a path that could be a trail if it was marked. Right now it is very easy to get lost. I wil post a map later.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Here is my ride with Sonoran North and Sonoran Sounth Connector.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran Triple near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Here is a map of the actual connector section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wed ride at PSP (Phx sonoran)-connectorn.jpg  

Wed ride at PSP (Phx sonoran)-connectors2.jpg  

Joe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here is my ride with Sonoran North and Sonoran Sounth Connector.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Sonoran Triple near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

Here is a map of the actual connector section.
    Hey Joe. I think we met on the trail on Saturday morning on the south part of the trail. I was on the black tallboy. I was taking pictures of some of the balloons at a T in the trail (read: resting haha). We talked about the connection between the North and South. Good talking to you (if it was you).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Hey Joe. I think we met on the trail on Saturday morning on the south part of the trail. I was on the black tallboy. I was taking pictures of some of the balloons at a T in the trail (read: resting haha). We talked about the connection between the North and South. Good talking to you (if it was you).
    Yes that was me. Good meeting you too.
    Joe

Go Speed Racer
    Found it. Well sort of. I found a path that could be a trail if it was marked. Right now it is very easy to get lost. I wil post a map later.
    Thanks so much for posting this... I tried to find that northern loop a few weeks ago and turned around just as I got to that neighborhood on the north end. Now I know where to go Probably will be out there Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks so much for posting this... I tried to find that northern loop a few weeks ago and turned around just as I got to that neighborhood on the north end. Now I know where to go Probably will be out there Saturday morning.
    There is a dirt path you can see when you use google maps, but it is easy to take wrong turn. If you use GPS on the ride a few waypoints will help. If not bring a photo map of the area. The hardest part is the south end.

As you get to the gate at the far north end of "B" trail there is lightly traveled and lightly marked path to east. This is the start of the connector. Then it meets jeep road as it turns back to the south. If you stay the rock edge path it puts you in a wash. What you do here is go over the rocks and get on jeep road. From there go due east and you will get through a break in the fence. Then follow this jeep road a bit, but you will hang a left and cut back. Once you get on here it is not too bad, but hard to describe. Easy to stay on the wrong path.
    Once you get to the far north end you will hit the road construction. Find the cut in the fence. From there you cross and get on the paved path till you get to the opening in the fence again and this time you are on the south end of the north mountains. It is 2.25 miles or so and given that distance not that far. You can bushwack if you need to and just head torward the cell towers on the top of the mountain.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I live over at Desert Ridge. Does anyone know how to get over to Sonoran Preserve from the East (Cave Creek Rd area)?

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by greser View Post
    I live over at Desert Ridge. Does anyone know how to get over to Sonoran Preserve from the East (Cave Creek Rd area)?
    Driving... until the road goes in you can take deer creek west to 7th north which turns into happy valley and then turn on 19th north, then north valley parkway north to dove valley east. Or you can go up to carefree hwy and then south on 27th drive. No parking area yet except for a cut out at Sonoran desert drive and Paloma.

By bike, there is a trail just off I pinnacle peak I think, which takes you just north of cave buttes and ties you in. Saw someone so it on strava, will have to see if I can find the map.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greser View Post
    Yes, thru Cave Buttes Rec Area.

I made it to the Dam and turned back... it's easy to get lost though.

I suggest that the first time you start at the sonoran preserve and try to find out way to cave creek from there. THe connecting trail is at the east end of cactus wren trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast