Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006

We have canals too....

....but just a bit different to the Phoenix variety. Thought this might amuse.

I am lucky enough to live in a scenic part of Wales and one of the features is hillside canal that runs from Newport to Brecon. It is over 30 miles long and built around 1800, being originally used to haul stuff like coal, limestone and iron. Now it is just a pleasant boat ride, or a traffic free route to the hills or to link up ride sections.

Having taken a couple of summer shots on a recent ride I thought it would be fun to trawl back through different seasons to show the contrasts;

First three are autumn shots and you can see the river down in the valley below in one of them. There are places where boaters can tie up and brew up some tea whilst enjoying the view over the valley

The lack of water in one section is due to a burst. There have been several bank failures over the years and the results are pretty spectacular

The next three were taken in this years unusually severe January. The roads were lethal ice rinks and the hills had too much hard deep snow to ride. The tow path was trampled enough by hikers to be rideable then.

Finally a couple from a recent ride - quite a contrast. Nice way to get to the trails from the house as well.

Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Meatbomb
    Nice... I've had friends travel to the UK to take canal boat tours. Said it was wonderful.

My other ride is your mom
    Ohhh the rocky irony.......I've longed to ride these canals. As a geologist, the first thing one learns is that William Smith - The Father of modern Geology - is credited with creating the first national geological map because of his work to create a network of canals to enable the coal mining in wales and throughout england. If it were not for his....."Gee....the fossils in this grey limestone are the same as I find on the other side of the country" moment.....modern geology would be somewhere else....dare I say....credited to a.....gasp...shock....horror....a Belgian!?!??!?!

So when someone knocks me for correcting an incorrect declaration of shale vs. slate on a riding route......remember.....your computer turns on because of a product of geology for the most part...and the tires your ride on....most certainly are made from coal power....of which these canals are the result. I'm a rock tool...I know it...and I'm fine with it too.

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'll take two thanks.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Man that looks nice and cool there. I like nice and cool.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Nice photos and information bout' em canals. Thanks for sending it to the AZ forum.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    do they let you take a waverunner on those?

EDR
    There are places where boaters can tie up and brew up some tea whilst enjoying the view over the valley
    ...only in the U.K.

Absolutely beautiful pics. Thanks for sending.....and oh, by the way, it was about 111 degrees today (44 C?) so enjoy your summer!

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    You can take what you like but the speed limit is 4 knots!

edr - I think our summer just went AWOL again - wet and cold returns Certainly not getting a roasting like you guys. Hung out on top of a local mountain last night to look out for the Perseids meteor shower - needed pretty much full on winter kit and a hip flask to keep warm!
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Occidental Tourist
    Nice option to have. Reminds me of the C&O tow path in Maryland.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

meow
    A similar option in the states is the Erie Canal trail in upstate NY (grew up there). There are over 150 miles on several segments that are built along the original tow path. I've ridden several sections and want to bike pack the entire path from west to east. More here: http://www.nycanal.com/recreation/hikebikemain.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    I saw some kids water skiing in the AZ canal , a truck driving next to the canal pulling the skier in the canal. They were cruising. I hope the had their tetnas shots up to date.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    You can take what you like but the speed limit is 4 knots!
    sounds more suited for a zimmer with water wings...