mtbr member

We got it pretty good.

So I had to drive my sister in law and her uhual cross country yesterday. 31 hours straight through-she pulled some hours too. I got to see a lot of the USA, from Flint, MI to my home here. I came to the conclusion (again), that we have it really good here.

All of Michigan and most of northern Indiana are under water now. Lots of snow melt combined with days of rain has all the rivers swollen and the ground is just soup. The leaves still have not sprouted leaves yet-it's not spring there! Those poor suckers are having to either ride a road bike on filthy roads in 40 degree temps or sit it out on the same indoor trainer- or just sit on the couch. We never stopped riding all year long, and are talking about heat.

Illinois and Missouri- lots of rain and crappy cool weather. Oklahoma and Texas- not sure how much good riding those along the I-40 have. I saw one roadi near Amarillo who was just riding into a 25 mile an hour head wind on the highway frontage road that is straight, long and flat with nothing to look at.

ABQ- The Sandias are ready and the ground looked good. Still cold and windy-and you have to live in ABQ most likely.

I have traveled to over 300 cities and driven between many of them- I have always wanted to move from Phoenix and the only place I choose will still be in AZ.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    So I had to drive my sister in law and her uhual cross country yesterday. 31 hours straight through-she pulled some hours too. I got to see a lot of the USA, from Flint, MI to my home here. I came to the conclusion (again), that we have it really good here.

All of Michigan and most of northern Indiana are under water now. Lots of snow melt combined with days of rain has all the rivers swollen and the ground is just soup. The leaves still have not sprouted leaves yet-it's not spring there! Those poor suckers are having to either ride a road bike on filthy roads in 40 degree temps or sit it out on the same indoor trainer- or just sit on the couch. We never stopped riding all year long, and are talking about heat.

Illinois and Missouri- lots of rain and crappy cool weather. Oklahoma and Texas- not sure how much good riding those along the I-40 have. I saw one roadi near Amarillo who was just riding into a 25 mile an hour head wind on the highway frontage road that is straight, long and flat with nothing to look at.

ABQ- The Sandias are ready and the ground looked good. Still cold and windy-and you have to live in ABQ most likely.

I have traveled to over 300 cities and driven between many of them- I have always wanted to move from Phoenix and the only place I choose will still be in AZ.
    Cliffs Notes: Phoenix > Flint, MI? Well, duh .
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    for april,, we had maybe 6 days that were over 50 degrees...
    today it only cracked mid 40s when normal is 65. (with a frost warning tonite)

western michigan and northern Indiana right along the lake are really nice in summer though,, tons of lush forested sand dunes.
    i might try to squeeze in a ride or two before i move.

mtbr member
    Lhm, what is all that green stuff on either side of the trail?

mtbr member
    (Chase...I think it's called "mold." It happens in moist climates...)
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem

Lemmie guess.....you've been everywhere man? You kind of remind me of a guy who I picked up just outside of Winnemucca. Kept blabbing about this city, that city.....finally had to kick his a** out.....

FWIW, I wondered why I've been smiling ever since moving from West Lafayette......

mtbr member
    Oh, yes we get that on some rocks up north.

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Road Trip

Hey cstem,
    I did that drive last year , end of July. I took my Mtb with me and did a few rides in my old home Traverse City. I still prefer AZ for most of my riding. I drove back in 30hrs from Dearborn, in my car i was haulin , i don't know how you did 31 hrs in a U Haul.

Later,
    Johnny K

Elitest thrill junkie
    I agree! I can't wait till June and July...hell, August and September too!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Lemmie guess.....you've been everywhere man? You kind of remind me of a guy who I picked up just outside of Winnemucca. Kept blabbing about this city, that city.....finally had to kick his a** out.....

FWIW, I wondered why I've been smiling ever since moving from West Lafayette......
    Was he a highwayman wearing all black? I think I cruised past him doing this , he gave me the creeps.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Give me the heat over the gray and wet ANY day!!!

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    for april,, we had maybe 6 days that were over 50 degrees...
    today it only cracked mid 40s when normal is 65. (with a frost warning tonite)

western michigan and northern Indiana right along the lake are really nice in summer though,, tons of lush forested sand dunes.
    i might try to squeeze in a ride or two before i move.

Man does that video bring back memories. I started mountain biking in the midwest and grew up in the Chicago land area. That video reminds me of riding in Deer Grove. The best around was Kettle Moraine. The funny thing is I bet that trail in the video is marked as "advanced or expert" because of the bridge crossings. There was definitely a major adjustment factor when I started riding in AZ. Its like comparing the black diamonds at Wilmot Mt to Jackson Hole.

Anyway congrats on the move Mike and maybe we will meet up some day for a ride. Im probably only a couple miles from you.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Dirt Merchant
    I was born and raised in "the mitt" and the smartest thing I ever did was move out of that stinkhole. I'll never give up my love for UofM, Red Wings or Bell's Beer (for those in the know). But nothing can beat the last 8 months I've been living here in AZ.

Decent singletrack in MI but a totally different animal. Face slappers are the norm, and the ability to ride is always hindered by the trails being SOAKED from the previous week of rain. Also, it's flatter than a 6 year old girl there. So anyone who thinks they are Lance in MI has another thing coming when they get some REAL MTB sessioning done in the glorious deserts of AZ.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    West Lafayette? Did you go to Purdude?

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    yeah, Des Moines Iowa and surrounding towns aint got nothin on PHX AZ for singletrack. There was one pretty cool track out where I lived in college and that got me pumped a little but it was a mess and a lot of the time and you risked getting shot b/c of all the hunting seasons lol!. The humidity would about choke you b/c of the forest, farms an pond around it too. The rest of my experience had to be had shredding up our remotely hilly campus and practicing my down hill going down flights of stairs haha! Then my bike got stolen and 6 years later I'm out here learning the mtb style out here. Fairly steep learning curve and not cheap!

edit (I guess I should note that Iowa has a lot of ridable areas off road, but it's just not documented or kept up and it's messy face slappin, log jumpin stuff )
    Last edited by berny2435; 05-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member

Yeah I pretty much have been to most regions IN most states. I think I have missed out on three states in the continental US (one because I slept through it!). My job is what take s me there. But you got the picture, and I like the tongue in cheek reference!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"