banned

Warm Up Ride for the Aerie Celebration Ride

Ok the only way I was going to get the Mountain Bike Heaven group to buy into riding the Aerie trail for the third Sunday ride was to throw in Ledge'n'Airy. This ride is always a challenge to ride. If you clean this ride you are one heck of a good rider IMHO.

I have included the only video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH_Bt-afOag ) I have ever seen of the ride and some of you might find the video interesting enough to try out the ride.

This is the EveryTrail link:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=785545
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warm Up Ride for the Aerie Celebration Ride-legenairy.jpg  

No Clue Crew
    While I'm positive there's no way I could clear all that I will say that looks like my kinda ride. A ride with a high price to pay for failure off to the left quite often... although the wide angle camera probably makes it look worse than it is.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    those are some crazy cliffs,, even a minute before the "scary section' warning.

did U2 make a giant contribution to the Brewer election campaign or something? they seem to be the official band for half the videos i see posted here...

trail "cleaner"

quite the epic ride!

TD, thanks for showing Javi and me all of this good stuff out on the south west area of Sedona. By the time we got back to my moms house, the GPS clocked over 30 miles Javier was so worn out, he ended up spending the night before heading back down to the valley BTW, that new Aerie section is quite different from most of the trails that have been built up there and I agree that visitors who are used to riding on dirt will be pleased. I think you did a GREAT job. Thanks again and hope to see you again next month!
    No dabs allowed!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    did U2 make a giant contribution to the Brewer election campaign or something? they seem to be the official band for half the videos i see posted here...
    Myself, I like the vids where I can hear the bike and rider working. Hear the rocks and gravel being crushed and moved, hear the chain slapping. That's just me...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Myself, I like the vids where I can hear the bike and rider working. Hear the rocks and gravel being crushed and moved, hear the chain slapping. That's just me...
    bOm:

Unfortunately due to my old age the noise would mainly be doing a very heavy loud breathing to keep my blood oxygenated on the climbs. A lot of the time I talk about the history of the trail to the person riding behind me and that would be somewhat more information than a viewer would want to listen to.

I am obviously not a music person and my wife has been telling me the same thing about using U2. Please recommend some better songs and will go to the library to check them out. I have never purchased a CD, so I am not going to start now.

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    TD, thanks for showing Javi and me all of this good stuff out on the south west area of Sedona. By the time we got back to my moms house, the GPS clocked over 30 miles Javier was so worn out, he ended up spending the night before heading back down to the valley BTW, that new Aerie section is quite different from most of the trails that have been built up there and I agree that visitors who are used to riding on dirt will be pleased. I think you did a GREAT job. Thanks again and hope to see you again next month!
    I agree with your observation on Aerie, it will work well for XC tourons. I wish I had my video on the back of my pack it would have been nice to get you riding behind me on the earlier section.

30 miles is a lot of riding for Sedona. Chad does 60 miles and I think Aerie will work in well for his future rides here. Next time we ride Aerie we can throw in Christmas Wash instead of Ledge'n'Airy.

TD

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    same here,, with the exception of the annual baked beans charity ride/ luncheon...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Unfortunately due to my old age the noise would mainly be doing a very heavy loud breathing to keep my blood oxygenated on the climbs.
    I wasn't complaining... just thinking out loud. I enjoy all the videos of people that can outride me. I live vicariously through everyone else on MTBR. Even old guys like you, although I doubt you, nor many others here, are much older than me... (43)?

just 1 more
    I wasn't complaining... just thinking out loud. I enjoy all the videos of people that can outride me. I live vicariously through everyone else on MTBR. Even old guys like you, although I doubt you, nor many others here, are much older than me... (43)?

You plus the normal age of a graduating high school senior. TD is not your normal senior citizen.
    Last edited by azjeff; 08-31-2010 at 05:08 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    You plus the normal age of a graduating high school senior. TD is not your normal senior citizen.
    I suspect he is not...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    AZ:

Thanks for the plug. I think I dabed three times on the ride which is definitely my all time best. Attached is the loop we did after doing Ledge'n'Airy.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warm Up Ride for the Aerie Celebration Ride-aerie-loop-1.jpg  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc

I am obviously not a music person. Please recommend some better songs and will go to the library to check them out. I have never purchased a CD, so I am not going to start now.

TD
    TD,

"Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable." Samuel Johnson, circa 1760

I'm shocked to hear this about you, Doc. We need to do something about this. You have to have good music.

"I live with music like a monk who prays every moment, including the night when he gets up to say Ave Maria. It is no more or no less. Simply utter devotion. The utmost devotion."

- Dimitri Mitropolous

I wake up to music. I listen to it as I read the drudge report each morning. I listen to it as I read MTBR. I listen to it as I relax and play some online chess or backgammon. I listen to my mp3 player when I ride and when I go running. I have a 32gig thumb drive I plug into my truck stereo to listen to, and I have another mp3 player plugged into speakers at work, so I can listen to music all day. I moderate a yahoogroup of fellow music fanatics, who compulsively buy all the best new musc out there. We share that music between us in a discreet manner to avoid the rath of the RIAA. I recently sent my new hard drive off to a friend in Austin who returned it to me with over 110gigs of music on it. That's over 20,000 songs. Also, many of my music friends gather in Austin each march to experience the largest music festival in the world, SxSW (South by Southwest). There are over 2000 bands from all over the world that perform during the five day festival. It's a similar passion as many here have for riding, perhaps even moreso. I've never met anyone on MTBR who shares this sort of music passion but there are a few who do have some excellent music collections. Maybe you could think of it like wine or beer. Some people never get past the cheap stuff they drank when they were teens. Others discover that there is an enormous selection of much higher quality products out there, if you are willing to search them out. Sadly, when a music related thread gets started on MTBR, you mostly get responses from the former type listener, not the latter type who has developed a more sophisticated pallet. It can be painful unloading a bike in a parking lot full of others blasting their stereos, with nothing but headbanging tunes. It's as bad as pulling up to a traffic light next to a youngster in his primered civic that he slammed and put a 4" exhaust system on it, because he imagines himself becoming Mr. Fast and Furious. You know he has only one disc he plays on his stereo, with the bass turned up all the way up, going thump, thump, thump.

Doc, you just give me an idea of what you have listened to over the years and liked, and maybe I can come up with some ideas for bands or songs that will satisfy you. I'll hook you up and you won't have to make runs to the library to check out some scratched up discs of top 40 bands. We can call this Trail Doc Extreme Music Makeover, maybe make it into a reality show.

"The world is filled with people who are no longer needed-
    and who try to make slaves of all of us-
    and they have their music and we have ours-
    theirs, the wasted songs of a superstitious nightmare-
    and without their musical and ideological miscarriages to compare our
    song of freedom to,
    we'd not have and opposite to compare music with - and like the drifting wind,
    hitting against no obstacle,
    we'd never know it's speed, it's power..."

- Woody Guthrie

last three...

All My Colours by Echo and the Bunnymen
    Why Do You Love Me by Cocteau Twins
    Stop Your Cryin' by Spiritualized

No Clue Crew
    And always remember, peace and quiet is nice! Most people nowadays go WAAAY overboard on listening to music.