mtbr member

Want to buy a house in Phoenix....

Alright guys and gals,

I was looking at buying a house just north of SOMO for rental and eventual MTB staging area. What do you guys think of Lavine?

Any other places to look? I have not ridden SOMO, but, I love riding in Tucson(especially the rocky stuff). If you could pick the perfect area to live in Phoenix, where would you live?

I know there are other nice places to live in AZ, but, the real estate deals are in Phoenix....

Thanks for the help.

Hate Costs Money

Kathleen in AZ
    Better access to the good trails from the south or east side of SoMo. Ahwatukee is the place to be!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was looking in that area first, but, apparently people really want to live there...

How difficult is the access from Laveen? There are some crazzzzzy deals there.

Hate Costs Money

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    I would try to think real estate rebound (investment) when you buy. People want to move to Ahwatukee and value has held up in the rescission for a reason . If you rent try out the hard hit areas (crazzy deals) and you will understand why to buy in areas like/or tuukeee.

Meatbomb
    don't buy a house based on trail access.... laveen is a swamp pit in the market.

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikekayakhike
    How difficult is the access from Laveen? There are some crazzzzzy deals there.
    There's a very good reason for that. My friend lives there. He's gotten used to the gunshots every night.

mtbr member
    Great advice. I sure am glad I asked. I will probably be down in the next couple weeks to take a look. Mebbe even rent a bike. Too bad I can't live in a 55 and over neighborhood....

Anywhere else I should look, or is SOMO the best?

Hate Costs Money

My other ride is your mom
    You could buy my house at a fraction of what I paid for it.......and be 6/10th of a mile from some decent riding......and you'd prolly make me happy in the process.....

33.504544, -111.670446

Just Joshin' ya!
    If you want to buy in Laveen, you have to choose between ghetto or farm country. There is trail access, but the trails on that side or pretty rough and steep. They are also not well traveled and I have seen some freaky folks out there.

I live on the North East side of SOMO and I have easy access to the Beverly Canyon Trailhead. It is cheaper than Ahwatukee but depending on where you are, not as crazy as Laveen. My house has dropped in value, but nowhere near as much as it would have if I had bought out in Laveen.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    don't buy a house based on trail access.... laveen is a swamp pit in the market.
    +1 on this one. You may want to do some research on city and the housing market prior to buying a house. Being in the mortgage industry I know PHX area has been hit really hard in the past couple years. There are signs that the market is getting better but it would take some time for the market to re-coup all of its losses. There are some crazy deals on new to newer homes in Queen Creek, Maricopa, and Goodyear area but its pretty far from everything. I personally like Gilbert and its not too bad of a short drive to either Hawes or SOMO. PHX area is pretty big you can find a city that best suites you and with all the riding potential out here you shouldn't be too hard to find a spot to ride. Good luck on your house hunting.
    LURKER

"Lurkers R us"
    North Phoenix isn't bad. Phoenix mountain preserve If you like to ride rocky stuff there is plenty to find there.
    Up north, New River. Black canyon trail, close to Prescott.
    Fountain hills McDowell mountain park.
    I'm not sure what you consider a crazy deal but, like so many have said there is a reason for an area being all around inexpensive. If you have cash you can get a great deal anywhere you want to live in the Phoenix area.
    2 cents
    D

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Las Sendas in north east Mesa is nice , great trails (hawes) is good....i also rent custom bikes....what are you looking for

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    check out this site......mtbikeaz.com

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikekayakhike
    Alright guys and gals,

I was looking at buying a house just north of SOMO for rental and eventual MTB staging area. What do you guys think of Lavine?

Any other places to look? I have not ridden SOMO, but, I love riding in Tucson(especially the rocky stuff). If you could pick the perfect area to live in Phoenix, where would you live?

I know there are other nice places to live in AZ, but, the real estate deals are in Phoenix....

Thanks for the help.
    You can get screaming deals in South Phoenix, Laveen, Buckeye, etc... but there are reasons for that. As many people have noted above, it's not a good place to live. They tend to be surrounded in crime and have poor access to anything and everything.

Tukee is a good place to live but not a great place for an investment property right now. Investors have driven up the prices of houses and pushed down the rental rates. Based on the house cost vs rental income (including appreciation on the house) there are better “deals” out there. Look for places that are centrally located with good access and good schools. East Phoenix, North Phoenix, Gilbert, parts of Mesa all have good values and are very rentable. Don’t buy a house based on trail access… it’s an investment, not a toy.

Get a realtor that knows the area and investment properties. Also talk to a lawyer and CPA to make sure you structure it correctly.

Good luck!

Saucy Size Moderator
    Is there *any* trail access over in Laveen? I'd imagine that far west you're better off headed to Estrella than finding your way into SoMo.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

banned
    32nd street and mountain view trailhead area. Best little neighborhood in Phoenix. Property has held it's value, ours has gone up.

Plus size jersey model
    Paul I have a good friend that live in Laveen and it sucks. I just stayed with him a few weekends ago and couldn't wait to leave. Its not really close to anything except maybe Cesar Chavez park which is nice if you want to get into pitbull fighting. I would say your best bet for a nice place close to Somo would be Tucson its only 1.5hrs away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    32nd street and mountain view trailhead area. Best little neighborhood in Phoenix. Property has held it's value, ours has gone up.
    Do you really live at 32nd and MV? What street? Al Beadle house?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Do you really live at 32nd and MV? What street? Al Beadle house?
    via est.....si beadle house

skilldest©
    with recently moving back to AZ I had same question...ahwatukee was and still is the answer

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Tempe son

mtbr member
    Don't worry, Laveen was off the list at the mention of gun-shots. Now I have concerns about the freeway going through Ahwatukee. Mebbe I will just save a little more and buy in Tucson where I know/love the area.

Thanks again for all of the advice. Vern, I will see you guys soon.

Hate Costs Money