banned

Volunteer August 22 To Work On AZ Trail in Flagstaff

I received an email from a crew supervisor with A.C.E. (American Conservation Experience) saying he was organizing a service project on Sunday, August 22, where volunteers would be completing construction of a reroute of the AZ Trail that passes through Walnut Canyon, just outside of Flagstaff. It is a popular route that allows mountain bikers to ride from the Campbell Mesa Trail system to Fisher Point. There are two different reroutes at each end of the Canyon, about 600 meters apart, that will do away with trail that was cut for horse, mule, and foot traffic many years ago and included trail with nearly 30% slope as it dropped into and climbed out of Walnut Canyon. Anyone in the Flagstaff area Sunday the 22nd, is invited to come and join the Americorps and A.C.E. members and other volunteers as they try to complete the west end reroute. From where the vehicles park, there will be a hike of almost a mile to the work site. On the way, you will hike past the first reroute on the east end that is mostly completed, with final work being done to build two very substantial switchbacks and three large retaining walls.

Anyone interested can also drive out to the staging area along Old Walnut Canyon Road. about a mile past the Campbell Mesa Trailhead, on FR# 301b. There are pin flags marking the half-mile drive on 301b, as it leaves Old Walnut Canyon Road, just past the last horse property on the right.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

banned

Tomorrow - AZ Trail - Flagstaff - Come out and say Hi

Just a nudge to remind any Flagstaffarians out riding tomorrow, to ride over to the AZ Trail between Walnut Canyon and Fisher Point (closer to Walnut Canyon) and say hello to the crew working on a new reroute in and out of the Canyon. This could be part of a fun 30 mile loop that can begin at Buffalo Park going clockwise to the tunnel under highway 89 at Townsend Winona Road, over to Campbell Mesa, to The Az Trail (equestrian bypass), to Fisher Point, down to the canyon floor, back towards town on the AZ Trail that leads to Sam's Club, and back to Buffalo Park on Urban Trail to warm down. Maybe someone can GPS the route and post it here some day. It should be another glorious day out there tomorrow.

last three...

Booksmart Devil by Silversun Pickups
    The Boy With The Perpetual Nervousness by The Feelies
    Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots pt.1 by The Flaming Lips

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    Just a nudge to remind any Flagstaffarians out riding tomorrow, to ride over to the AZ Trail between Walnut Canyon and Fisher Point (closer to Walnut Canyon) and say hello to the crew working on a new reroute in and out of the Canyon. This could be part of a fun 30 mile loop that can begin at Buffalo Park going clockwise to the tunnel under highway 89 at Townsend Winona Road, over to Campbell Mesa, to The Az Trail (equestrian bypass), to Fisher Point, down to the canyon floor, back towards town on the AZ Trail that leads to Sam's Club, and back to Buffalo Park on Urban Trail to warm down. Maybe someone can GPS the route and post it here some day. It should be another glorious day out there tomorrow.

last three...

Booksmart Devil by Silversun Pickups
    The Boy With The Perpetual Nervousness by The Feelies
    Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots pt.1 by The Flaming Lips

PS:

Getting volunteers is tuff these days. We have about 2.5 miles built on the Aerie trail since 8/4 and a total of about 75 man-hours.

I don't see any bike tracks on the trail, how do mountain bikers get to the job site? Seems like it would be good to get it packed in with bikers riding on it.

We are going to do a ride on Aerie with about ten riders tommorrow, hopefully we will get a little rain tonight.

TD

Control Freak
    Man if I didnt have to work I would so be there...maybe next time...

Tim

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    its so simple... just get a mountain biker into the governor's seat and then you can use inmates to build the trails.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    PS:

Getting volunteers is tuff these days. We have about 2.5 miles built on the Aerie trail since 8/4 and a total of about 75 man-hours.

I don't see any bike tracks on the trail, how do mountain bikers get to the job site? Seems like it would be good to get it packed in with bikers riding on it.

We are going to do a ride on Aerie with about ten riders tommorrow, hopefully we will get a little rain tonight.

TD
    Back in the late 90's, I'd clean out my parts bin and pass it all out to people who showed up to work. Actually, these days their are a lot of volunteers. More people riding means more demand for new trails and there are many who step up. This morning, the group putting this event together are Americorps members who are required to organize a volunteer event and get at least ten people involved. They had to find others to help and also make flyers and find transportation and provide food.

I think the mountain bike community is amazing, how they take ownership of their trails and are so willing to maintain them without compensation, just the way you do. On the other hand, the Forest Service has a paid staff with the title; volunteer coodinator. There were many years, here in Flagstaff, where that individual didn't show up for a single volunteer event or help get people involved as volunteers. Flagstaff Biking Organization stepped up and began doing their job for them, getting a lot of riders involved in trail building.

The pictures that you see were taken moments after those sections were built. That is why you don't see tire tracks. Even though both ends of the reroutes were closed off until the entire segment is finished, hikers, bikers, and equestrians have all decided they can't wait, and have moved our simple barricades and begun using the trail. I just wish the horses had waiting until it firmed up a bit more.

Good luck finishing your project in Sedona.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    its so simple... just get a mountain biker into the governor's seat and then you can use inmates to build the trails.
    Already tried it. Ten years ago I was supervising prisoners from Winslow, out at Fort Tuthill. I was planning on using them to build trail but they ended up doing thinning. I'm serious, we handed chainsaws to prisoners, told them to be careful, and hoped for the best. What ensued was quite hilarious. They dropped trees on picnic tables, water spigots, and nearly on each other. They destroyed the bed of a country truck. They were transported to the work site by a couple prison guards, who sort of watched them, along with me. The guards would split fire wood and build a fire to heat their balogna sandwiches. One day a guard was trying to split wood on an unlevel stump, so he ended up holding the piece of wood while he took a swing at it with an axe. Yup, you guessed right, he chopped off his thumb. The worst part was that even after the EMT's got him bandaged up, and placed his thumb on ice, to have reattached at FMC, he was not allowed to leave the work site until he was properly relieved by another guard who had to drive out from Winslow.

banned
    Already tried it. Ten years ago I was supervising prisoners from Winslow, out at Fort Tuthill. I was planning on using them to build trail but they ended up doing thinning. I'm serious, we handed chainsaws to prisoners, told them to be careful, and hoped for the best. What ensued was quite hilarious. They dropped trees on picnic tables, water spigots, and nearly on each other. They destroyed the bed of a country truck. They were transported to the work site by a couple prison guards, who sort of watched them, along with me. The guards would split fire wood and build a fire to heat their balogna sandwiches. One day a guard was trying to split wood on an unlevel stump, so he ended up holding the piece of wood while he took a swing at it with an axe. Yup, you guessed right, he chopped off his thumb. The worst part was that even after the EMT's got him bandaged up, and placed his thumb on ice, to have reattached at FMC, he was not allowed to leave the work site until he was properly relieved by another guard who had to drive out from Winslow.
    PS:

So give us a trail report. How much trail did you get finished and how many people were on the project?

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    PS:

So give us a trail report. How much trail did you get finished and how many people were on the project?

TD
    I think we had 12 people total. Split into two groups. One was build retaining walls while my group was cutting a switchback into the hillside. We had a number of riders come past while we were working. It was fun hearing them shouting as they came flying down the trail, into the canyon. The best part of the day was lunch break. Someone made me the best PBJ ever. It included special peanut butter from New Frontiers, plus some top shelf jelly, organic honey, and fresh strawberries. Plus we had a crate of fresh peaches.

We plan to finish up the west end reroute with a paid A.C.E. crew in about 3-5 weeks. I figure I can get it done in two days with a full crew.

I had a new tool I was trying out. It's a super size pick mattock. The mattock end is twice as large and shaped a bit like a spoon. You can really dig a lot of earth with each swing. I bought it at a Lowes in Surprise a couple years ago.

So, how close are you getting on your new trail? What did all this summers rain do to your trails? There is a lot of erosion and badly rutted trails up here.

last three...

Leilani by Hoodoo Gurus
    Stumble and Fall by Clan Of Xymox
    Brown Eyed Girl by Lagwagon

banned
    I think we had 12 people total. Split into two groups. One was build retaining walls while my group was cutting a switchback into the hillside. We had a number of riders come past while we were working. It was fun hearing them shouting as they came flying down the trail, into the canyon. The best part of the day was lunch break. Someone made me the best PBJ ever. It included special peanut butter from New Frontiers, plus some top shelf jelly, organic honey, and fresh strawberries. Plus we had a crate of fresh peaches.

We plan to finish up the west end reroute with a paid A.C.E. crew in about 3-5 weeks. I figure I can get it done in two days with a full crew.

I had a new tool I was trying out. It's a super size pick mattock. The mattock end is twice as large and shaped a bit like a spoon. You can really dig a lot of earth with each swing. I bought it at a Lowes in Surprise a couple years ago.

So, how close are you getting on your new trail? What did all this summers rain do to your trails? There is a lot of erosion and badly rutted trails up here.

last three...

Leilani by Hoodoo Gurus
    Stumble and Fall by Clan Of Xymox
    Brown Eyed Girl by Lagwagon
    New Front Tires has good stuff, but I am way TOOOOOOO cheap to go there. I went to Basha's last night and spent $21 and saved $18 on about 8 lbs. of fruit, 3 carton of eggs, 1 calliflower, 1 lb. of broccolli, 3 lbs. of tomatoes, 3 qts. of bleach and a bag of 3 hearts of romaine.

We have one of those tools on the job but no one uses it. It is way to heavy and will wear an old mountain biker out in just a couple hours. .

We have about 1/2 mile to go.

TD